• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm not sold on the first move.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know they will draft defense first?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key word is "might", so Im not actually claiming it as truth.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know they will draft defense first?

If that question is directed toward me, I dont know. I can only hope they do. The defense needs much more help than the offense if the lions are to be successful, just my opinion. The defense needs help and the offense needs stafford to play like 2011 stafford. If stafford doesnt improve it wont matter who is on the offense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key word is "might", so Im not actually claiming it as truth.

Ok well using that approach...tate might have a better career than any wide receiver being drafted this year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont argue that. I said he has some skills but I just dont like him that much. My concerns are with the contract he got and the fact that I see him as a marginal upgrade.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont argue that. I said he has some skills but I just dont like him that much. My concerns are with the contract he got and the fact that I see him as a marginal upgrade.

We will just have to see what happens. It all really hinges on how stafford performs. It wouldnt matter, tate, watkins, evans...if staff plays like last year. Im hoping you are pleasantly surprised with tate.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's hoping for Evans at 10! :suds:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If for no reason other than he's over six feet, I wouldn't hate it. SOL, trying to outscore teams still.

Durham, fauria...

Being tall doesnt necessarily qualify a receiver to be a stud.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

Lions sign WR Golden Tate (5 years, $31M; $13.25M guaranteed): D Grade

These teams don't listen. Outside of Vincent Jackson, when has a receiver gone to an inferior team than the one he has already on and thrived in his new home? It's a formula that just doesn't work. This signing doesn't make any sense for a number of other reasons as well:

First, there were better receivers than Tate available. Tate has never even had a 900-yard season. I've seen bogus analysis out there about how Tate's stats were limited because of Seattle's run-heavy attack. That's a load of crap. If Tate happened to be a starting-caliber wideout, he would have produced more consistently. The fact remains that Russell Wilson liked to spread the ball around for a reason. Tate just wasn't good enough to be relied upon as a major target.

Second, this draft class is loaded at receiver. Why overspend on a wideout who isn't even as good as several rookies in this upcoming class? And third, the Lions want to utilize a run-heavy attack, so why are they throwing all of this money on a No. 2 receiver, especially one who isn't proven like Tate?

This is an awful signing by the Lions. It'll be lauded by others, but Tate will ultimately become the latest of many free agent receiver busts.​

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter hates the Lions. He is still mad at the Lions for not taking Jason Smith and Russell Okung.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give that signing a Grade D. It was an extreme need and when looking at FA signings by McCluster/Andre Roberts it might be considered over-paying. Incoming rookie WR's can/do struggle trying to get used to the speed of the game, similar to CB's, whether it's the better coverage they face, route running, creating separation etc. Drafting one of the higher ranked WR's, even at #10, would only guarantee one thing. He'd cost less than what Tate does. I don't view any incoming rookie as a guaranteed upgrade in production over a 4 year vet, in this case someone like Tate

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

Lions sign WR Golden Tate (5 years, $31M; $13.25M guaranteed): D Grade

These teams don't listen. Outside of Vincent Jackson, when has a receiver gone to an inferior team than the one he has already on and thrived in his new home? It's a formula that just doesn't work. This signing doesn't make any sense for a number of other reasons as well:

First, there were better receivers than Tate available. Tate has never even had a 900-yard season. I've seen bogus analysis out there about how Tate's stats were limited because of Seattle's run-heavy attack. That's a load of crap. If Tate happened to be a starting-caliber wideout, he would have produced more consistently. The fact remains that Russell Wilson liked to spread the ball around for a reason. Tate just wasn't good enough to be relied upon as a major target.

Second, this draft class is loaded at receiver. Why overspend on a wideout who isn't even as good as several rookies in this upcoming class? And third, the Lions want to utilize a run-heavy attack, so why are they throwing all of this money on a No. 2 receiver, especially one who isn't proven like Tate?

This is an awful signing by the Lions. It'll be lauded by others, but Tate will ultimately become the latest of many free agent receiver busts.​

What should he have done more consistently? He caught almost every pass that was catchable and thrown his way. He broke more tackles than any other WR. There is plenty of film on him blocking. So again I ask, what more should he have done?

As for Seattle being run heavy, numbers dont lie. They were 2nd to last in pass attempts. More than 200 attempts less than the Lions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kreton is the voice of reason then something is very wrong with everyone else.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russel Wilson is an average passer on a run first team! He manages the game and makes sure the ball doesn't get turned over.

Tate put up very good numbers for that offense. He has 3 years under his belt and I think he has huge upside. He will not need a get adjusted period like Evans and Watkins. He has very sure hands…something the Lions have not had since Mike Furrey.

I am not sure Tate will get to his huge upside but he has a better chance in Detroit than he would ever have in Seattle. The money will be a bargain if the guy gets close to 75 for 950 yards. Plus he is a solid Punt returner. I don't see much down side from this signing other than the Lions used pretty much their entire FA budget.

I am not sold any of the top defensive guys wanted to come to Detroit and without being able to overpay they made a good signing.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kreton is the voice of reason then something is very wrong with everyone else.

lol i can imagine that would be very scary. I dont care if Tate doesn't have a big year. If he matches the numbers from last year I'll be happy. The biggest thing that pissed me off last year (other than coaching) was dropped passes. I just want someone who whenever a catchable ball is thrown to them, they catch it.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know, usually it's all homer but damn it.. He's making complete sense.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, usually it's all homer but damn it.. He's making complete sense.

Damn. Going all the way back to the sackus days I don't think you've ever said that. I am honored.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. Going all the way back to the sackus days I don't think you've ever said that. I am honored.

I know, I been getting high lately too and instead of blasting people opinions, it seems like I'm more open to their ideas and respect the other posters views and humor more. They need to legalize this shit already.