• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm glad that the 49er's suck

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on down and watch Wichita Falls High School's wing-t and tell me

They're using a pistol or shotgun version of the wing t if the QB is not directly under center. Not the traditional formation.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said they have a place because of that one era...just not buying in to the shoot gun or Harbough's run,

Hey...I'm not asking you to 'buy in' on anything. Red Hickey coined the term 'shotgun' and essentially was the first guy in the NFL to implement it. It's plenty good enough for me.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're using a pistol or shotgun version of the wing t if the QB is not directly under center. Not the traditional formation.
you may be right on terminology, but there are many versions of the wing t and the QB is not always under center

I just know the niners didn't event the shot gun when John Brodie played

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey...I'm not asking you to 'buy in' on anything. Red Hickey coined the term 'shotgun' and essentially was the first guy in the NFL to implement it. It's plenty good enough for me.
lol...now coined the term? I wouldn't know.
Montana and company were great....let's call it a day.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on down and watch Wichita Falls High School's wing-t and tell me
There are variations on the wing T, but in the traditional single wing offense, the quarterback lines up under center. Red Hickey is credited with creating the shotgun offense in 1960.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shotgun evolved from the single wing and the similar double-wing spread; famed triple threat man Sammy Baugh has claimed that the shotgun was effectively the same as the version of the double-wing he ran at Texas Christian University in the 1930s.[1]

In the latter part of the 1940s, the Philadelphia Eagles, under Hall of Fame Coach Earl "Greasy" Neale, implemented the shotgun formation in their offensive attack with quarterback Tommy Thompson.

The formation was named by the man who actually devised it, San Francisco 49ers coach Red Hickey, in 1960.[2] John Brodie was the first NFL shotgun quarterback, beating out former starter Y. A. Tittle largely because he was mobile enough to effectively run the formation.

The New York Jets briefly experimented with the shotgun during the middle of the Joe Namath era to give the bad-kneed and often immobile quarterback more time to set up plays by placing him deeper in the backfield. But the formation was not used on a regular basis until the 1975 season, and then only by the Dallas Cowboys, who used the shotgun frequently with Roger Staubach at quarterback. The Cowboy shotgun differed from the 49er shotgun as Staubach generally had a back next to him in the backfield (making runs possible), where Brodie was normally alone in the backfield.

Since no other NFL teams used the formation during this time, some believed it had been invented by Tom Landry. Instead, Landry simply dusted off the old innovation to address a pressing problem: keeping Staubach protected while an unusually young and inexperienced squad (12 rookies made the 1975 Cowboys roster) jelled. However, three years before Staubach ushered in the modern era of the shotgun to the NFL, Joe Theismann of the Toronto Argonauts regularly employed the formation north of the border in the CFL. [3] The Cowboys ended up in the Super Bowl that season, in no small part due to its new use of the old formation. The shotgun became a "signature" formation for the Cowboys, especially during third down situations.

The shotgun was adopted by more teams throughout the 1980s, and was part of almost every team's offense in the pass-happy 1990s.

Shotgun formation - Wikipedia

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you may be right on terminology, but there are many versions of the wing t and the QB is not always under center

I just know the niners didn't event the shot gun when John Brodie played

Actually they did. They basically took the traditional wing t, dropped the QB back a few steps, removed one of the three RB's and called it shotgun after their hcs nickname.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are variations on the wing T, but in the traditional single wing offense, the quarterback lines up under center. Red Hickey is credited with creating the shotgun offense in 1960.
thanks....I'm good with the opinions stated here

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually they did. They basically took the traditional wing t, dropped the QB back a few steps, removed one of the three RB's and called it shotgun after their hcs nickname.
My apologies to Ricky Romo.
Montana and the term shot gun qualify as NFL relevance

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it's not really an opinion.
and neither is QB's ONLY took direct snaps under the center before 1960.
and the wing-t had variations where the QB wasn't under the center.

did the niners shot gun offense have the shovel pass? Just curious

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pdays just mad that Landry didn't invent it.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what did you say the other day...something about if you just wanted to say hi?

stay hard sonny boy....you're one bad ass

Maybe you should reply again to let me know how not mad you are.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and neither is QB's ONLY took direct snaps under the center before 1960.
and the wing-t had variations where the QB wasn't under the center.

did the niners shot gun offense have the shovel pass? Just curious
What difference does any of that make? Hickey invented it, Landry brought it back. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

DestroyYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of shotgun...wouldn't mind if little Jed York took one to his head. Might be our only hope to get out of the deep, deep hole he's put this organization in..

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What difference does any of that make? Hickey invented it, Landry brought it back. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

Because only the Cowboys deserve any kind of credit or praise for anything.