• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'll even give the Lakers credit

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.....

Last Season, the " trade Russell " chants were deafening.

This year, you can hear a rat piss on cotton.
LOL, what does a "rat pissing on cotton" sound like? How's it going Mecca? :-)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if thats the case you are gonna have to wait a long time.

Russell is 20, Ingram 19, Randle 21....you wont be read to compete at a high level until they are at least close to their primes . I am not saying its bad way to go- if yo uhave the patience- but i would expect a trade or two and an attempted major free agent signing or two. Unless something unexpected happsn- this will be the 5th season in a row in which the Lakers fail to win a playoff game. If you want ti wait for Russell, Ingram and Randle, that could be another 2-3 years before they are ready to do so--- it seems like there will be more urgency then that.....

we shall see. Not saying it would happen - but say the Kings come calling with DeMarcus or the Spurs with Aldridge, or the Thunder with Westbrook or the Jazz with Heyward.....what would you give up?----

Yeah, it's an interesting decision that the Lakers will have to make.

Do you keep your young core together and let them develop together ala OKC and GSW? Or do you go after an elite FA and/or attempt to trade for one ala the Cavs?

If they decide to develop the young guys, they'll have to wait at least 3-4 more years before they can even start to be considered anything close to a contender. The advantage is, you can have a team of high level players all in their primes who will dominate the league for several years. That team would also be coming into it's own right about the time the Cavs and Warriors are starting to get a little old. The risk is, their ceiling turns out not be as high as it appears now, so they don't ever develop into a contender.

If they go the FA/trade route, they can start contending right away and depending on the age of the FA(s) and be a contending team for the next several year. The risk is that they get elite FA(s), but that isn't enough to get them past GSW and/or the Cavs.

Kind of a good problem to have actually.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's an interesting decision that the Lakers will have to make.

Do you keep your young core together and let them develop together ala OKC and GSW? Or do you go after an elite FA and/or attempt to trade for one ala the Cavs?

If they decide to develop the young guys, they'll have to wait at least 3-4 more years before they can even start to be considered anything close to a contender. The advantage is, you can have a team of high level players all in their primes who will dominate the league for several years. That team would also be coming into it's own right about the time the Cavs and Warriors are starting to get a little old. The risk is, their ceiling turns out not be as high as it appears now, so they don't ever develop into a contender.

If they go the FA/trade route, they can start contending right away and depending on the age of the FA(s) and be a contending team for the next several year. The risk is that they get elite FA(s), but that isn't enough to get them past GSW and/or the Cavs.

Kind of a good problem to have actually.

My vote? keep the core and let 'em learn...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the game last night what I noticed they are missing the Floor leader. Someone to take over and calm down the team. Stupid plays after stupid plays. Lakers have a decent core of young players but they need that super star/star player and that player needs to be a leader.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the game last night what I noticed they are missing the Floor leader. Someone to take over and calm down the team. Stupid plays after stupid plays. Lakers have a decent core of young players but they need that super star/star player and that player needs to be a leader.

There are going to be growing pains for them this year. Don't let their hot start distract you from the fact that it's still very much a rebuilding year. It really should be Luol Deng because that's what they're paying him for, but that's more so off-court and during practice than anything else. During the game they're going to need to figure that out and who takes over to be the leader. I think it could eventually be Julius Randle once he learns to play under control. He could be the one sets the tone for them.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are going to be growing pains for them this year. Don't let their hot start distract you from the fact that it's still very much a rebuilding year. It really should be Luol Deng because that's what they're paying him for, but that's more so off-court and during practice than anything else. During the game they're going to need to figure that out and who takes over to be the leader. I think it could eventually be Julius Randle once he learns to play under control. He could be the one sets the tone for them.

I would like to say Russell but being the leader doesn't mean you play hero ball.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to say Russell but being the leader doesn't mean you play hero ball.
They played a fairly good team and they are still extremely young. I think they are already playing better than normal, so I expect some errors and mistakes. There are enough bad teams, however to give the Lakers 50% of the wins and I will be excited to see that. They are competing as good as expected and if they can compete for the 8th seed this year - then even without any free agents, I think they will move up in the standings next year.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Luke Walton was pretty overhyped but so far he's living up to it. The Lakers are really surprising. 35 wins maybe?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote? keep the core and let 'em learn...
They might not have to wait that long in my opinion. If Luke takes these guys to the playoffs this season - then next year they could be on a serious level - the Warriors did make a lot of moves while waiting on Curry and Klay to develop - so the Lakers have to look at free agents, but I agree - No trades and keep them together

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if thats the case you are gonna have to wait a long time.

Russell is 20, Ingram 19, Randle 21....you wont be read to compete at a high level until they are at least close to their primes . I am not saying its bad way to go- if yo uhave the patience- but i would expect a trade or two and an attempted major free agent signing or two. Unless something unexpected happsn- this will be the 5th season in a row in which the Lakers fail to win a playoff game. If you want ti wait for Russell, Ingram and Randle, that could be another 2-3 years before they are ready to do so--- it seems like there will be more urgency then that.....

we shall see. Not saying it would happen - but say the Kings come calling with DeMarcus or the Spurs with Aldridge, or the Thunder with Westbrook or the Jazz with Heyward.....what would you give up?----
Been saying it since the summer when everybody was busy with all the "LolLaker" jokes....the Lakers are just fine. I don't want to trade any of our core because it would probably put us in a spot to where we STILL couldn't beat the Warriors/Spurs at the moment. It's title or bust once we get a top team, and I dont see a theoretical way to trade us to a title, so therefore we need to keep our young guys, let them get into their primes while the Warriors get into their 30's. As for big names, we can swing in the summer(s), and see if it works out as the team looks much more appealing than years before

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know it may be a stretch for this to happen....but I want Clippers/Lakers in the 1st round. We may not win, but it'd be funny to see the only moments in NBA history where one team has home court adv. throughout the entirety of a series

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know it may be a stretch for this to happen....but I want Clippers/Lakers in the 1st round. We may not win, but it'd be funny to see the only moments in NBA history where one team has home court adv. throughout the entirety of a series

if the Lakers DO make the playoffs this season i'll eat my hat, as the old saying goes. but yeah, the hallway series at THIS point in each team's history? gotta admit it'd actually be kinda cool...

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT!!!!!

Happy Holidays, My Friend!!!!

What does it sound like?

A Clippers Championship parade :tsk:.

So, nobody knows!!!!
Mecca happy Holidays to you too. If we are waiting for "a Clippers Championship parade" to find out what "a rat pissing on cotton sounds like," then I'm afraid that both you and I will never know, as we will be long gone. Nevertheless good luck this year with your Clippers. Maybe and I put a lot of emphasis on MAYBE, the Clipps will get lucky and be able to hang a NBA Championship banner amongst the several Laker banners. :-)

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying it since the summer when everybody was busy with all the "LolLaker" jokes....the Lakers are just fine. I don't want to trade any of our core because it would probably put us in a spot to where we STILL couldn't beat the Warriors/Spurs at the moment. It's title or bust once we get a top team, and I dont see a theoretical way to trade us to a title, so therefore we need to keep our young guys, let them get into their primes while the Warriors get into their 30's. As for big names, we can swing in the summer(s), and see if it works out as the team looks much more appealing than years before
it will be interesting to see....the Lakers have been eyeing big time free agents for their rebuild for years now. I wonder if they will be able to pull off getting one.....looking at the free agent landscape next summer Ihave my doubts- but it is by far the best chance they have had in the last few years. Combining both the free agent crop and the Lakers cap - im not sure what major free agent is a reasonable and logical option for the Lakers.

Deng- 18
Mozgov- 17
Clarson- 13
L. Williams- 7
Tarik Black- 7 (WTF?!)
Nick Young- player option of 6
Russell- 6
Ingram- 6
Randle- 4
Nance- 1
Zubac- 1

= 86 million.

the predicted salary cap for the '17-'18 season is 102. That gives the Lakers 16 million- clearly not enough to sign a major free agent. That means some kind of trades would have to be executed to open up the cap room necessary to sign a major free agent. A max contract for an established player will probably run about 25M. I would imagine it would not be hard to find a taker for Lou Williams. Maybe they can convince Nick Young not to take that player option for 6M....that would open up 13M and get them to 29M in cap space which would be sufficient for their purposes.

i just threw up in the trash can under my desk after reading that the Lakers will pay Luol Deng, Timo Mozgov and Jordan Clarkson almost 50M combined---- and thats for 3 years AFTER this year...in the '19-'20 season the Lakers will be paying those 3 a combined 49M.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be interesting to see....the Lakers have been eyeing big time free agents for their rebuild for years now. I wonder if they will be able to pull off getting one.....looking at the free agent landscape next summer Ihave my doubts- but it is by far the best chance they have had in the last few years. Combining both the free agent crop and the Lakers cap - im not sure what major free agent is a reasonable and logical option for the Lakers.

Deng- 18
Mozgov- 17
Clarson- 13
L. Williams- 7
Tarik Black- 7 (WTF?!)
Nick Young- player option of 6
Russell- 6
Ingram- 6
Randle- 4
Nance- 1
Zubac- 1

= 86 million.

the predicted salary cap for the '17-'18 season is 102. That gives the Lakers 16 million- clearly not enough to sign a major free agent. That means some kind of trades would have to be executed to open up the cap room necessary to sign a major free agent. A max contract for an established player will probably run about 25M. I would imagine it would not be hard to find a taker for Lou Williams. Maybe they can convince Nick Young not to take that player option for 6M....that would open up 13M and get them to 29M in cap space which would be sufficient for their purposes.

i just threw up in the trash can under my desk after reading that the Lakers will pay Luol Deng, Timo Mozgov and Jordan Clarkson almost 50M combined---- and thats for 3 years AFTER this year...in the '19-'20 season the Lakers will be paying those 3 a combined 49M.

The Lakers don't need a Max free agent. What they need is for Randle, Russell and Ingram to continue their natural progression of their games. Those are the 3 guys they need to build a future around. When their contracts are up for extension, Deng and Mozgof should be expiring.

If the 3 young core of the Lakers continue to improve and the Lakers grab another good player in the draft, they can still continue their upward trajectory. No matter what they're probably about 3 years away from being a real contender assuming their core 3 improve to the level they could be.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers don't need a Max free agent. What they need is for Randle, Russell and Ingram to continue their natural progression of their games. Those are the 3 guys they need to build a future around. When their contracts are up for extension, Deng and Mozgof should be expiring.

If the 3 young core of the Lakers continue to improve and the Lakers grab another good player in the draft, they can still continue their upward trajectory. No matter what they're probably about 3 years away from being a real contender assuming their core 3 improve to the level they could be.
if the Lakers miss the playoffs this year- it will be the 5th year in a row they have failed to win a playoff game.

Russell is 20, Randle is 21, Ingram is 19. In your opinion- what is the soonest those 3 guys will be ready to lead a team into the playoffs and be able to reasonably have a chance at winning a series?--- obviously if they are the 8 seed and 22 years old- thats not a reasonable shot.

If i were to guess- i would say a minimum of 2 years after this one- and a maximum of 4 years....2 years from now when Russell is 22, Randle is 23, and Ingram is 21- it would be tough for me to see them having a reasonable shot at winning a playoff series because of their extreme youth.

Can the Lakers mgmt. really be patient enough to see these guys grow into their primes somewhere between ages 23 and 25 (and thats even early- i think the true prime of an NBA player probably starts about 25-27 and prob runs through 30-31) if it means not winning a playoff series for 7-9 years? Thats a tough ask. Its really a good question and it should be interesting to see how it goes.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is another good point---- as we have all seen- just because you area lotto pick doesnt guarantee anything. Based on just pure probability- its highly unlikely all 3 become high level NBA players- let alone all star level players that are capable of being the #1, #2, and #3 options on a contending team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is another good point---- as we have all seen- just because you area lotto pick doesnt guarantee anything. Based on just pure probability- its highly unlikely all 3 become high level NBA players- let alone all star level players that are capable of being the #1, #2, and #3 options on a contending team.

Rusell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and James Harden say Hi.

So do Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.

Obviously, there are no guarantees as to how much better they can get. But it's not as if it hasn't been done before and recently.

So far, they have shown tremendous improvement over last year and the future looks pretty good. Randle needs to continue to develop a reliable jumper, Russell needs to continue learning when to look for his own shot and when to set up his teammates, Ingram needs to gain some weight and learn the NBA game.

Nance Jr. and Clarkson need to continue their progress as well.

All 5 need to get better on defense which, at this point, is about learning to communicate on defense and trusting the system. They get caught out of position too often trying to "make a play" rather than trust the system.