• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Kilgore / Looney wins the C position

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The caveat being that there are no quality OL on the FA market (like Snyder) that would be a good fit. If there are OL that are willing to sign for the vet minimum, that we think are better then what Goodwin can bring as a backup interior lineman, then I am all for signing that guy and cutting Goodwin.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok didn't Adam Snyder do a stint at center for us, albeit a craptacular stint?

If Kilgore solidly takes the center job away from Goodwin, then I would ask Goodwin to take a pay cut. If Goodwin doesn't take a pay cut then adios amigo.

But if Goodwin is cut, we'd better see a front loaded Iupati extension the next week after that. That would maximize the use of that extra ca$h.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe it's my ignorance to contract details, but I was under the impression that extensions usually start at the beginning of the following season, not the current season that they are in. If that's the case, I fail to understand why Goodwin's cap space currently at roughly 4 mil is going to be the dealmaker in any Iupati or others extension. If Kilgore or Looney impress, we are still void of any experienced decent OL which is why I don't think that Goodwin will be cut. We are talking about a Super Bowl ready team. We need quality depth, especially if the cap money freed up doesn't apply to current year extension.

If I'm wrong in my understanding, which is likely as you guys seem well versed in it, I still don't want to see Goodwin to be cut. I like the warm fuzzy feeling of KNOWING what Goodwin bring to the table should one of our lineman go down (God forbid). I don't like the idea of either Looney or Kilgore seeing the field if they don't prove to be better then Goodwin. If one of them does (my guess Kilgore based on fluff pieces), I don't think Looney, as a 2nd yr player, would be equal or an upgrade to what Goodwin brings to the table IMO.

I'm fairly certain you can extend a player at any time, and we could thus put the savings from cutting Goodwin directly into Iupati's extension. Regardless, cap now rolls over, so it would give us more money next offseason.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok didn't Adam Snyder do a stint at center for us, albeit a craptacular stint?

If Kilgore solidly takes the center job away from Goodwin, then I would ask Goodwin to take a pay cut. If Goodwin doesn't take a pay cut then adios amigo.

But if Goodwin is cut, we'd better see a front loaded Iupati extension the next week after that. That would maximize the use of that extra ca$h.

Snyder did some practicing at C. I don't think he ever actually saw the field at that spot. But he is a guy who could play any of the five positions in a pinch.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call Crims

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've been looking at Looney's performance against the Chargers, and I have to say I'm not all that impressed. :(

Maybe the Niners go center in the draft when Goodwin's contract expires. I'll smack somebody if they re-sign him. Maybe Kilgore will make some strides this season...

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been looking at Looney's performance against the Chargers, and I have to say I'm not all that impressed. :(

Maybe the Niners go center in the draft when Goodwin's contract expires. I'll smack somebody if they re-sign him. Maybe Kilgore will make some strides this season...

The guy we should have kept, De La Puenta is a FA next year as well. Saints are up against the cap with several starters being UFA next year...Jimmy Graham and Michael Jenkins being the most notable. Not sure why would you be opposed to resigning Goodwin though. He took a pay cut to stay on the team this year, I don't think any other team is going to break the bank for him at his age.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope konz wins the job

o wait, we drafted aj jenkins....

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts in so many ways but I'll hold out hope Baldwin can turn it around.

him and hawkins could be the odd men out when our wr's get healthy

healthy wr's, would be nice for a change