• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If I was Homer...and I'm not...

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not Paul Holmgren...the trouble I have consistently spelling his surname should make that evident for most. If I was Holmgren this is how I would approach the remainder of the regular season.

1. Don't think about blow out trades for rental players to make a run. The cost will not be worth it.
2. Any trades made, most likely Fedotenko or Briere have to bring back a draft pick and or a defense prospect as part of the return.
3. Have serious discussion with Gagne about his contract needs/desires.
4. Bring up Wellwood and Gustafsson and let i be known that they are to be played barring injury.
5. Harry Z also to be played.

6. Buy out Pronger to create cap space.

Oh well...it doesn't look like much...but when looking at the upcoming draft classes and the number of picks that could lead to actual prospects....

Oh, and DO NOT TRADE Couturier or either Schenn or Voracek. Along with Giroux they represent the future.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not Paul Holmgren...the trouble I have consistently spelling his surname should make that evident for most. If I was Holmgren this is how I would approach the remainder of the regular season.

1. Don't think about blow out trades for rental players to make a run. The cost will not be worth it.
2. Any trades made, most likely Fedotenko or Briere have to bring back a draft pick and or a defense prospect as part of the return.
3. Have serious discussion with Gagne about his contract needs/desires.
4. Bring up Wellwood and Gustafsson and let i be known that they are to be played barring injury.
5. Harry Z also to be played.

6. Buy out Pronger to create cap space.

Oh well...it doesn't look like much...but when looking at the upcoming draft classes and the number of picks that could lead to actual prospects....

Oh, and DO NOT TRADE Couturier or either Schenn or Voracek. Along with Giroux they represent the future.

First I agree in the trading of Fedotenko and Briere, and the return you suggested, as well as the no blockbuster trades suggestion.

I don't really see the need to alter Gagne's contract or whatever. He actually has pleyed well since his return. Made most people on his lines better. Minus briere who makes everyone on his line worse.

Wellwood and Gus should play, I am not in love with Harry Z as most. The guy is a skating penalty.

Pronger should be bought out (but they can't when he is on the IR apparently, ask awaz about that i don't know the rules of these buyouts). You forgot Bryz whose contract is asinine. Even if he plays lights out, the contract is ridiculous and they should get out of it.

Bottom line, I don't know how you address the major issue. Holmgren built a defense that is big and physical, and Lavy wants to run a defense that is fast and precise. At least one of our top 4 will be shipped out as long as they decide they want to keep Lavy at the helm.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I agree in the trading of Fedotenko and Briere, and the return you suggested, as well as the no blockbuster trades suggestion.

I don't really see the need to alter Gagne's contract or whatever. He actually has pleyed well since his return. Made most people on his lines better. Minus briere who makes everyone on his line worse.

Gagne is a free agent after this season. I would try to get him back for two years is possible. Sorry for not being clear.

Wellwood and Gus should play, I am not in love with Harry Z as most. The guy is a skating penalty.

Pronger should be bought out (but they can't when he is on the IR apparently, ask awaz about that i don't know the rules of these buyouts). You forgot Bryz whose contract is asinine. Even if he plays lights out, the contract is ridiculous and they should get out of it.

During the offseason each team will be allowed 2 buyouts. Pronger and perhaps Bryz...??

Bottom line, I don't know how you address the major issue. Holmgren built a defense that is big and physical, and Lavy wants to run a defense that is fast and precise. At least one of our top 4 will be shipped out as long as they decide they want to keep Lavy at the helm.

The long term issue with defense is going to be a long time correcting. It can be made easier with a fast set back checking forwards. Gusy is a good skater who can move the puck/make the first pass. He will either break down physically or learn....it is a toss up if he is the next Ryan Parent (good skill, great wheels, fragile).

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACK...tried to insert a comment on Gagne's contract status in the quote and it didn't stand out. The defense is not going to get better fast. Trying to do that is how the Flyers ended up in the state they are in. Draft and grow...trade for prospect defensemen and let them grow. The free agent/trading for veterans approach has left the team up against the cap, slow to the outside and not suited to the coaches style.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, can't buy out pronger because he's injured.

Agree with everything else though.

I'm ok with giving gus ice time this season to evaluate him some more, but so far hes been a mess at the NHL level, except a couple good games against New Jersey in the playoffs last year.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade the farm for owen nolan and grab the 8th seed

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, we're five points back of a playoff spot with 18 games left to play, many of them against the teams we need to pass to get in. That's close enough to have faith that we can at least make a run. I wouldn't bother trading away a key cog in the lineup unless the return is above average. However, I also wouldn't trade for a veteran for the stretch run.

We just need guys like Briere, Hartnell, Read, Meszaros, Coburn and more to get back on track. Now what's the common denominator with these slumping players? Most all of them were injured and now that they are "healthy" and back playing, they don't appear to be themselves quite yet.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well the gap between us and 8th place actually didnt grow in our week off. so we are in teh same position as we were about 2 weeks ago, we control our own destiny if we get things together here we can make a run.

also briere out with an injury, cool.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we need to go 13-5 to get a spot. Good thing is every game is against the East so we do control things,
Having said all this I see no reason this team turns things around just like that,

What will be the excuse tonight? Rust?

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think we need to go 13-5 to get a spot. Good thing is every game is against the East so we do control things,
Having said all this I see no reason this team turns things around just like that,

What will be the excuse tonight? Rust?

i don't think anyone has been making excuses for this team.