• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

if brain hoyer was your son

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he were my son, I would back his decision no matter what it was.

If it were me, I would play on. The whole CTE thing is overblown and understudied. Despite what people have been lead to believe, doctors still don't know for sure if CTE has anything to do with concussions. I don't give up millions of dollars for my family on someone's best guess.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it were me, I would play on. The whole CTE thing is overblown and understudied. Despite what people have been lead to believe, doctors still don't know for sure if CTE has anything to do with concussions. I don't give up millions of dollars for my family on someone's best guess.

It might depend on how much money you have saved, because if you have plenty, I wouldn't waste my brain on someone's best guess is that there isn't a link. It's not like he is going to get a huge contract. I am relatively speaking here because of course all of us would want even the veterans minimum. Heck, even the rookies minimum is a lot (assuming you stay on the team.)

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was my son, I would've called him, Brian...

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a grown man capable of making that decision himself.

Yeah. On the other hand, my daughter is a few years younger than him, but she still listens to me and values my advice.

If you develop a good relationship with your kids, they will respect what you have to say. They may not always take your advice, but at least they'll listen.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After 5 diagnosed concussions, and perhaps more that went unrecorded, to what extent is he capable of making that decision? I hope you're right.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends. Let's say he came from a poor background. Maybe the first in his family to make it through college because of sports sort. Playing a few more years might mean not only his children, but his grandchildren will never have to worry about money or school. I know his family would prefer him in one piece, but it's a trade a lot of guys would make

That is reality in many cases UK, but don't we open up another can of worms? Ideally, the player should be setting up college funds for the kids and even the grand kids with some of that NFL money so when he goes or if he becomes disabled they all have the education background to provide better quality jobs thus better standard of life for themselves.

More to your point. Yes, guys will make that trade....we're still seeing guys get popped for PEDs in MLB when they already know the consequence, but the money is so great that they are willing to sacrifice 50+ games in order to gain access to the other $30 mil or (whatever the lionshare is) of the contract.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True but pretty soon he won't be able to think for himself...

But heck, Welker and company are still playing

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..............I'd of be 3 years old when he was born

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The case for playing on depends a little bit on position. Linemen are going to get hit hard on most plays, and most of the hits will never be noticed as anything special. At the other extreme, every hit on a QB is pretty visible, QB sneaks perhaps aside. One can also make good money as a backup QB while rarely actually playing.

Anyhow -- if I were Hoyer's father, which I'm old enough to be, I'd make very sure that we had the best possible medical information as a family, and that he took the time and attention to understand it. After that, I'd support any decision he made and I'd hope for the best.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My son - Agree...I would make sure he knows all of the pros and cons first.

Me - I would not continue playing. 2 points here...CTE, I don't need anymore scientific proof, one of those common sense things my mom always talked about. If you bang your head into something hard enough times...common sense says you are doing some long term damage.

I have spent time around many retired NFL players at charity golf events that have replacement body parts due to playing football, but the real sad cases are the guys like Jim McMahon...guys that now stay out of the limelight because they can't speak, barely function day to day because of repeated brain injuries.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. On the other hand, my daughter is a few years younger than him, but she still listens to me and values my advice.

If you develop a good relationship with your kids, they will respect what you have to say. They may not always take your advice, but at least they'll listen.
I'm sure he values his father's advice too but he may feel like he can continue. I don't think I'd be in a position to make that decision for him.
True but pretty soon he won't be able to think for himself...

But heck, Welker and company are still playing
Is Welker still playing? The hardest thing about this kind of injury is that it's hard for the experts let alone the individual to gauge the severity of the long-term effects of his injuries.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he values his father's advice too but he may feel like he can continue. I don't think I'd be in a position to make that decision for him.
Is Welker still playing? The hardest thing about this kind of injury is that it's hard for the experts let alone the individual to gauge the severity of the long-term effects of his injuries.

yep Welker still is with the rams. albeit sparingly but he is.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep Welker still is with the rams. albeit sparingly but he is.
That's funny. I thought he had been out of the league for a few years now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. I thought he had been out of the league for a few years now.

rams picked him up this year if I am not mistaken. He's played in 5 games 83 yards with 10 catches, no TD's

Wes Welker

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty, Dumb QB's suffer 5 concussions

Good/Great QB's call this "Pocket awareness"

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty, Dumb QB's suffer 5 concussions

Good/Great QB's call this "Pocket awareness"
He is clearly a moron because his offensive line sucks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what doctors can you is just off the data they have...a lot of medical stuff is not absolute...like when they told my uncle 69 y/o who was on oxygen he had a year at best to live...that was 6 yrs ago..the man is still alive and kicking today.

Every player has to make that decision on his own with family/etc. but in the case of Hoyer, if I have already cashed $8mil +and had 5 or 6 brain dings...I think I would find something else to do.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tell him to go take over the world.