• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I think the champion is the best team. They will have won games against other good teams during the season, and they will have beaten a team in the semis to get to the CG, then beaten that team as well.

If a 'better team' gets beat in the semis or CG, then they don't deserve to be called the 'best team'. But I understand the point about the best team vs. the champion.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011, if it was LSU vs Stanford and Alabama vs Oklahoma State, and it was an All-SEC NCG game, I would say it worked out right. Those 2 teams would have to beat a few other teams with NCG contention to make it after the CCGs were played.

Of course, VT would have been talking about how they deserved to be #4 over Stanford, but I guess arguing over #4 is better than arguing over #2. IMO, it should be 16-team with all conference champions and remaining spots go to at-large. Absolutely, no conference can say they didn't have a shot.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, VT would have been talking about how they deserved to be #4 over Stanford, but I guess arguing over #4 is better than arguing over #2. IMO, it should be 16-team with all conference champions and remaining spots go to at-large. Absolutely, no conference can say they didn't have a shot.

The more teams that are added to the playoffs the more teams are going to claim they deserve that last spot. It will be way worse than it ever was for the #2 spot.

I wish they would have made the playoffs "as needed". Only put in the teams that had a legit claim on the top2 spots. So in 2011 it would have been Alabama vs OkSt to play LSU, and in says 2009 it would have just been 1 game, Texas vs Alabama.

But I don't guess that's possible with the way they want to ensure money to certain bowl games at the end of the year and wanting set dates.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 regardless of conference. That's only fair.

If say Alabama and LSU end up in the NCG again, at least they earned it to some degree.

Sorry to throw the Dunce card on you, old man... but the Committee picks the rankings... so there is no 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 except for what they say it is... so, it comes down to where they want them...

Last edited by a moderator:

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011, if it was LSU vs Stanford and Alabama vs Oklahoma State, and it was an All-SEC NCG game, I would say it worked out right. Those 2 teams would have to beat a few other teams with NCG contention to make it after the CCGs were played.

With 16 teams you're talking about several teams with 2 losses and more than likely 2-3 teams with 3. No way do they deserve a shot at a NC.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to throw the Dunce card on you, old man... but the Committee picks the rankings... so there is no 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 except for what they say it is... so, it comes down to where they want them...
Hey, dunce. He didn't say it WAS that way, he said it would be only fair.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, dunce. He didn't say it WAS that way, he said it would be only fair.

you're still not getting it. There is no default 1,2,3,4 to check against... but what the committee picks... which is what this thread is asking: "how should they be seeded?" ... are you getting this? Is this mic on??

Last edited by a moderator:

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're still not getting it. There is no default 1,2,3,4 to check against... but what the committee picks... which is what this thread is asking: "how should they be seeded?" ... are you getting this? Is this mic on??
I get it just fine. He just said the fair way would be the top 4. You have to be a dunce to call him a dunce for saying that. That has nothing to do with the committee and he never said it did.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You actually disagree with that statement 4d20? Kind of works that way in most sports. At least those with only win or go home games. Bama has won the title after still having a loss and were it not for a lucky last second miracle win by Auburn last year they might have played for it again.

The title in college football has never decided who the beat team is, just who deserved the crown. Different idea entirely.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You actually disagree with that statement 4d20? Kind of works that way in most sports. At least those with only win or go home games. Bama has won the title after still having a loss and were it not for a lucky last second miracle win by Auburn last year they might have played for it again.

The title in college football has never decided who the beat team is, just who deserved the crown. Different idea entirely.

Yep and I wish people who think like that will just take their asses to the NFL and shut up.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the national champion every year is the clear best team in the land? :L

I mean it doesn't matter they created the BCS because of the controversy over titles up to that point and there has been controversy over who got into the title game since the BCS that helped lead us to this 4 team playoff. None of that matters. Have the title national champ and it means you were better than every other team that year, even the ones you didn't have to play. Yeah, that's sounds about right coming from you. :lol:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and I wish people who think like that will just take their asses to the NFL and shut up.

And to give the reason why: In college football every game matters and the entire season is a playoff. Yes Alabama lost a game, but we are talking about the best teams that season, not best teams of all time. Other teams lost games as well.

Alabama lost to Auburn and apparently that game did matter. Funny enough, if we had a playoff last year, Alabama in that format would have likely had gotten the second chance. People like to claim things like Alabama benefited from the old system, and blah blah blah. But if we had a playoff the past few years Alabama would have had even MORE opportunity.

While there have been a few times in history where things didn't exactly go the best, the overwhelming majority of time there was absolutely no problem with how the champion was decided.

I see people make these generalized bullshit complaints over and over, and yet if you actually press them for real examples it's very limited. We can all name the few times, of which is the reason we have a playoff.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the national champion every year is the clear best team in the land? :L

I mean it doesn't matter they created the BCS because of the controversy over titles up to that point and there has been controversy over who got into the title game since the BCS that helped lead us to this 4 team playoff. None of that matters. Have the title national champ and it means you were better than every other team that year, even the ones you didn't have to play. Yeah, that's sounds about right coming from you. :lol:
Please tell me how a playoff changes any of that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me how a playoff changes any of that.

It doesn't! And that's the point. :L

They keep changing the formula because it doesn't/hasn't/can't prove who the overall best team is.

The reason we are here is because you are wrong with saying the title winner was the 'best team' that year. Plain and simple.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to give the reason why: In college football every game matters and the entire season is a playoff. Yes Alabama lost a game, but we are talking about the best teams that season, not best teams of all time. Other teams lost games as well.

Alabama lost to Auburn and apparently that game did matter. Funny enough, if we had a playoff last year, Alabama in that format would have likely had gotten the second chance. People like to claim things like Alabama benefited from the old system, and blah blah blah. But if we had a playoff the past few years Alabama would have had even MORE opportunity.

While there have been a few times in history where things didn't exactly go the best, the overwhelming majority of time there was absolutely no problem with how the champion was decided.

I see people make these generalized bullshit complaints over and over, and yet if you actually press them for real examples it's very limited. We can all name the few times, of which is the reason we have a playoff.
Only person complaining here is you my friend. A random poster made an apt observation and this stemmed from it. Frankly I don't care who 'the best team' is/was. Doesn't take away from who deserved to be there to win it. I'm not one that cries about wanting a 16 team playoff.

There is simply no way to say any team is better than another team they never faced. This is just about who deserved to be there the most. Always has been, and will be at this level. The 4 team playoff probably reduces the problems, but until we see how it all plays out no one can know by how much. And then it still only shows who was hottest at that time against those teams.

There is no math that takes 120+ teams over just 12 games and tells you exactly who is better than who over that entire list.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A playoff eliminates teams 2-4 argument as far as "who plays in Natty.

Perfect example , the Ok State Bama controversy.

In that year, We would know who deserved to face LSU as Bama and Ok State would have played.

That title is Bama's most discussed on whether they "deserved" the bid to play in NCG.

That part I like.

I also like that you have to win two postseason games. A crowned champion seems more justifiable.

Just how I see it. I have warmed up to the 4 team CFP.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games played throughout the season and even CCGs eliminates nearly all cfb teams from who are the best teams.

Only a select few after the first week in December can make an argument that they deserve to play for a NC.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 16 teams you're talking about several teams with 2 losses and more than likely 2-3 teams with 3. No way do they deserve a shot at a NC.

It also doesn't leave out any team that deserves a shot either. I think if a 2-loss+ team makes it to NCG by beating undefeated or 1-loss teams, then the undefeated or 1-loss team doesn't deserve it either.