• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep typing this, but I have no idea why you believe this. It does not happen that way in other sport. Most teams schedule garbage in the OOC already and the starters play. Currently fans are lucky if they get 1 solid game on their OOC schedule. At worst fans will get 1 more garbage game. On the flip side, perhaps CFB coaches will act like CBB and schedule a lot more top games early in the season.
This isn't basketball. It is college football. Where after 100+ years, we finally have a playoff..... OF 4!!!!! NOT 68
Your assumption is wrong. You still have to be in the top 4 conference champs. That brings the OOC into play. And it may not be that the top 4 are all from the Power 5.

So what? Schedule an fcs, Georgia State and Idaho.

Play your first team MAYBE a quarter..... If at all. Surely wins for actual contenders regardless.

If you all are happy with that, then I feel bad for you.

There is no sense in scheduling ooc games we all love. Example, Oregon vs tOSU in a few years.

No reason AT ALL to play that game if we go conf champs only.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they will probably give us a better game than Notre Dame did in 2012.
Funny - I was told the same thing about the mighty Catamounts of Western Carolina in 2012. Yes - that Catamounts team whose only win was against NCAA Division II power Mars Hill.

So who will be the tougher opponent for Alabama this year - that same Western Carolina team? or Southern Mississippi, who at the time of signing the contract to play Alabama had lost something on the order of 18 consecutive games?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny - I was told the same thing about the mighty Catamounts of Western Carolina in 2012. Yes - that Catamounts team whose only win was against NCAA Division II power Mars Hill.

So who will be the tougher opponent for Alabama this year - that same Western Carolina team? or Southern Mississippi, who at the time of signing the contract to play Alabama had lost something on the order of 18 consecutive games?

You tell me. You know so much about Alabama, is it actually your 4th favorite college team?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best reg season in any sport is cfb. Every game as elimination type aspects.

If you want to destroy that by allowing a conf champ only stipulation then I am afraid we will never see eye to eye.

Letting in a 4 loss conf champ into a CFP is ludicrous.

That is not cfb, never has been.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tell me. You know so much about Alabama, is it actually your 4th favorite college team?
It may come as a shock to you, but I don't care much for Alabama football. Alabama fans, however, continually amuse me because they say things like "Alabama doesn't schedule crap."

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may come as a shock to you, but I don't care much for Alabama football. Alabama fans, however, continually amuse me because they say things like "Alabama doesn't schedule crap."

Well hey, if we are going to play the cherry pick the worst team on the schedule game, I'm sorry Alabama was unable to schedule such powerhouses as Purdue.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hey, if we are going to play the cherry pick the worst team on the schedule game, I'm sorry Alabama was unable to schedule such powerhouses as Purdue.
yes - Notre Dame schedules Purdue. I'll concede that that is proof positive that "Alabama doesn't schedule crap." Yours is truly a dizzying intellect. :L

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, what we have now is the teams that actually think they have a chance at the top 10 making sure their schedules have enough meat on them given how tied in SoS has been throughout the entire history of the national championship. Show me a title contender that intentionally schedules nothing but garbage and I'll show you the exception to the rule.

In b4 some asshat uses Bama as an example...

What we have now is generally a schedule that is built strong enough to get in the NC if you are a top team, but not one meant to truly challenge. If I was an AD that is exactly how I would schedule it also. That is the system we have. How about we use AUburn from last yr? Ark State, Wash St, Western Carolina, and FAU.. Did you see FSU's SOS last year? That was probably the worst SOS of any team to make a BCS bowl. There was not even a thought to put a 1 loss team over them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes - Notre Dame schedules Purdue. I'll concede that that is proof positive that "Alabama doesn't schedule crap." Yours is truly a dizzying intellect. :L

I can see how not being able to understand all teams have cupcakes on their schedule can be dizzying. I guess you must have played football for Notre Dame and got "help" with your academics.

But look on the bright side - decent chance you won't need the refs to give you a win against Purdue this year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is "Best" is relative, so I'm not sure where the idea that the best team has to have beaten every other team in football comes from.

Part of being the best team is getting up for games however and having the heart. So even as Alabama was a better team talent wise last year than say Auburn or Oklahoma, it wasn't the best team because they lacked the heart and drive to do what it needed to do.

No two sources rank teams the same is that true? Even the Sagarin's and their ilk all have variance. There's a lot of 'eye test'. It isn't an exact science in other words.

The problem with using the regular season as meaning more is the complete and total imbalance. Even within each conference. Take any other team from the Pac12 north that plays USC and skips Colorado while we have the opposite. Factor in 9 game schedules where half the conference has 5 road games and the others only have 4 and how can you find out who's the best on just record alone? Yes, I know the SEC has same number of home/away in conference, but you still have disparity of which teams you skip/play.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? He's saying if all you have to do is win your conference then there is no need to add strength to your out of conference schedule. Play 3-4 non FBS schools, run the table on your division, and go win your CCG and you are in.

I think that is BS. Biggest reason that you dont see really challenging OOC schedules is because they are not rewarded. SOS comes into play at times, but not every time. It only happens when there are identical records or if it is mid-major involved.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we have now is generally a schedule that is built strong enough to get in the NC if you are a top team, but not one meant to truly challenge. If I was an AD that is exactly how I would schedule it also. That is the system we have. How about we use AUburn from last yr? Ark State, Wash St, Western Carolina, and FAU.. Did you see FSU's SOS last year? That was probably the worst SOS of any team to make a BCS bowl. There was not even a thought to put a 1 loss team over them.
And if you hate that it will get much worse with conf champs only. Just a fact.

Want better games? Add more value to SOS than we already have. Another fact.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how not being able to understand all teams have cupcakes on their schedule can be dizzying.
Let me spell it out using small words. You said, "Alabama doesn't schedule crap." I pointed out the crap that is on Alabama's schedule. You current defense is that "All teams schedule cupcakes." By your own logic and statements ...

Alabama schedules crap.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No two sources rank teams the same is that true? Even the Sagarin's and their ilk all have variance. There's a lot of 'eye test'. It isn't an exact science in other words.

The problem with using the regular season as meaning more is the complete and total imbalance. Even within each conference. Take any other team from the Pac12 north that plays USC and skips Colorado while we have the opposite. Factor in 9 game schedules where half the conference has 5 road games and the others only have 4 and how can you find out who's the best on just record alone? Yes, I know the SEC has same number of home/away in conference, but you still have disparity of which teams you skip/play.

It can be subjective, sure. But it's not like it's really a huge mystery the majority of the time to the point of warranting the general comment that is' somehow impossible to know who the best team is.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me spell it out using small words. You said, "Alabama doesn't schedule crap." I pointed out the crap that is on Alabama's schedule. You current defense is that "All teams schedule cupcakes." By your own logic and statements ...

Alabama schedules crap.

Let me know when you understand that people are/were talking about overall SoS and that schedule strength is relative to other teams.

:L

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rustled jimmies up in here.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you hate that it will get much worse with conf champs only. Just a fact.
You can call it a fact, but that does not make your opinion a fact.

Want better games? Add more value to SOS than we already have. Another fact.

Its a double edged sword. You make SOS very important or give it little importance and SOS can increase. In the middle, you get what we have now. Wake me up when you see a 1 loss AQ team get in over an undefeated AQ team, because the powers that be thought the SOS margin was too far apart. Not many match-ups amongst top 30 programs on a yearly basis.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a double edged sword. You make SOS very important or give it little importance and SOS can increase. In the middle, you get what we have now. Wake me up when you see a 1 loss AQ team get in over an undefeated AQ team, because the powers that be thought the SOS margin was too far apart. Not many match-ups amongst top 30 programs on a yearly basis.

Football is way too physical of a sport for teams to risk injuries to key players playing tougher schedules for no reason.

Teams will focus on what it takes to win a national championship, and if you take conference champs only, that is what they will focus on. They will schedule other games to be tune up games, even as they already do now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is way too physical of a sport for teams to risk injuries to key players playing tougher schedules for no reason.

Teams will focus on what it takes to win a national championship, and if you take conference champs only, that is what they will focus on. They will schedule other games to be tune up games, even as they already do now.

WHy is there this belief that there is no reason to play some tougher games if they dont knock you out of the title hunt? Plenty of coaches schedule harder games in the non-conference. You see it in hoops and you see it HS football all the time. Why does Bama play their big OOC games in Atlanta or Texas generally? Its about recruiting. It is about building brand recognition. I see starting Qbs playing all the time with 30 pt leads. Why will Saban start his 1st team vs a 1-aa team if injuries are such a risk? Do you really think he needs his starting QB to play vs Western Carolina? Do you think Oregon is going to sit Mariotta (SP?) vs South Dakota? Will Price (Washignton QB) sit vs Eastern Washington or Georgia State? The answer to those questions are no.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHy is there this belief that there is no reason to play some tougher games if they dont knock you out of the title hunt? Plenty of coaches schedule harder games in the non-conference. You see it in hoops and you see it HS football all the time. Why does Bama play their big OOC games in Atlanta or Texas generally? Its about recruiting. It is about building brand recognition. I see starting Qbs playing all the time with 30 pt leads. Why will Saban start his 1st team vs a 1-aa team if injuries are such a risk? Do you really think he needs his starting QB to play vs Western Carolina? Do you think Oregon is going to sit Mariotta (SP?) vs South Dakota? Will Price (Washignton QB) sit vs Eastern Washington or Georgia State?

Well I do agree about recruiting value in game locations.

But what is bigger in recruiting - playing those games in Atlanta and Texas, or winning National Championships?

As for FCS - they rarely play more than 2 drives, and as far as injuries goes playing a team like LSU is way more brutal than the FCS team.