• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs

DawgsOnTop

Heisman Contender
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant do that every year man, especially in the years where there are only 2 conferences represented in the top 4. Hell just look back. Last year Bama and Auburn ( 2 and 3 ), 2012 Bama and Florida ( 1 and 3 ), 2011 Bama and LSU ( and 2 ), 2010 Oregon and Stanford ( 2 and 4 ), 2009 NONE, 2008 ( Oklahoma and Texas AND Bama and Florida ( 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 ), 2007 NONE, 2006 OSU and Michigan AND Florida and LSU ( 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 ), 2005 PSU and OSU ( 2 and 3), 2004 USC and Cal (1 and 4), 2003 NONE, 2002 Iowa and Ohio State ( 2 and 3 )... Thats about as far back as I can rmember but MOST of those year had at leadt 2 teams from the same league in the top 4 asnd a few had only 2 leagues represented at all. AND very few of those teams were ranked 4th, most were 1/2/3 so itll be hard to justify having 6th ranked Michigan State being selected ahead of 3rd ranked Auburn even if MSU wins the B10 and Auburn doesnt even make its league title game. If you are going to just reward conference winners then just say that. I do not think that what is going to happen though.

:agree: Giving conference winners an "IN" to the playoff will make strength of schedule pointless.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 regardless of conference. That's only fair.

If say Alabama and LSU end up in the NCG again, at least they earned it to some degree.

It's acceptable to do it that way for sure.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have to do this playoff thing, I would prefer 6 teams.

2 get a bye, 4 others playoff to see who plays top 2 seeds in semis.

EXACTLY how the NFL conferences do it to determine their SB representative.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: Giving conference winners an "IN" to the playoff will make strength of schedule pointless.

Exactly. Been preaching this since the announcement.

People who want the conf champ only in CFP don't think to much.

The OOC games would become similar to NFL preseason. And that would suck.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have to do this playoff thing, I would prefer 6 teams.

2 get a bye, 4 others playoff to see who plays top 2 seeds in semis.

EXACTLY how the NFL conferences do it to determine their SB representative.

But the NFL doesn't have to worry about SoS because there are only 32 teams, they have a draft so there is more parity, etc. The league creates the schedules.

The NFC West was the easiest conference a few years ago, but then the very next year they are one of the hardest. It's not going to happen that the MWC is suddenly the best conference next year etc. Things in college football kinda rotate among the top4 conferences a bit strength wise, but it's no where near like the NFL which actively tries to improve the worse teams with #1 draft picks and such.

Edit: Nevermind, I see now you are only talking about 6 teams and not conference champions.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to agree. the only way that conference champions should be given special consideration is if no out-of-conference games are played at all. Otherwise, the data gathered from those games is simply discarded. I don't think the problem is that "strength of schedule becomes irrelevent" because out-of-conference games could be easy or hard. The problem is that those games would be completely ignored. And yes - that would suck.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think having ONLY conference winners is a terrible idea but that really only works if you only have 4 leagues. If we reach a day someday where we have 4 superconferences then having the league winners is fine and may actually create better OOC games since the result isnt as important thus making it better to play tougher games to prepare for league play. Of course then you are basically telling all non power league teams that they will never ever play in a playoff which would mean they would probably break off and create their own division.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I propose 4 20 team "super conferences" every year you play the other 9 teams in your dvision and the top 4 teams from each division make their conference "playoffs". The winner of each league wins an auto bid to the CFB playoff.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seed per record. If you start trying to make sure Team A doesn't/does play Team B in the Semi's you are robbing the playoffs of ANY impartiality that there might have been. If you are going to do it that way, just pick the top two teams and let 'em go at it.

Oh....wait...tried that and folks got butthurt...never mind

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
I am not for conference champs only, but I completely disagree with the preseason comment. I would actually like to see a larger playoff and one that lessened the importance of OOC scheduling. Right now there is 0 reason to schedule 3-4 tough games and that is a shame. If I was an AD, I would follow the complete cupcake, non- AQ school, mid-tier AQ school model. That is all you need to do.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd want them seeded in the same semi. If they couldn't figure it out in conference play, let them figure it out in the semi's before the title game.

^ this, I don't care which conference they come from, I just want to avoid rematches if at all possible and GET match ups that we haven't had a chance to see yet.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think having ONLY conference winners is a terrible idea but that really only works if you only have 4 leagues. If we reach a day someday where we have 4 superconferences then having the league winners is fine and may actually create better OOC games since the result isnt as important thus making it better to play tougher games to prepare for league play. Of course then you are basically telling all non power league teams that they will never ever play in a playoff which would mean they would probably break off and create their own division.

But if the ooc games are meaningless in crowning a National Champion with conf champs qualifying, I sure the hell am sitting the likes of Mariota, Winston, Hundley, Gregory, Williams, etc in favor of them staying healthy and fresh for games that "matter"

Schedule 3 cupcakes, let your 2 string win the game. I mean why not?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I propose 4 20 team "super conferences" every year you play the other 9 teams in your dvision and the top 4 teams from each division make their conference "playoffs". The winner of each league wins an auto bid to the CFB playoff.

That would work, but it unfortunately is a pipe dream. The PAC is a bit too much on the stuck up side to grow any more and except just anybody to get to a 20 team conference.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, they need to win to get to the championship.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if the ooc games are meaningless in crowning a National Champion with conf champs qualifying, I sure the hell am sitting the likes of Mariota, Winston, Hundley, Gregory, Williams, etc in favor of them staying healthy and fresh for games that "matter"

Schedule 3 cupcakes, let your 2 string win the game. I mean why not?

Pretty much what happens now, so what is the difference?
If you assume that OOC gets less meaningful, I would expect scheduling to pick up. CBB has a ton of great early games. Coaches want to see their kids compete against the better teams, so they know what they need to work on for the conference slate. I really dont know why people assume college football coaches are ()s

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again. To protect the greatness of CFP, conf champs requirement is a no no.

Kills ooc games and scheduling.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People incorrectly assume that the 4 spots are for the 4 best teams.
Not true.

The Playoff is to determine the best team in the nation.
It's all in how you phrase it and there is a distinct difference in the 2.

The first one lets you place 2 or more teams from the same conference in the playoffs.
The second one doesn't let you do that.

The highest ranked team in the conference should get the nod, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be the Conference Champion. If 2 teams from the same conference have played during the season, then the winner of that game gets the nod. If those 2 teams didn't play each other during the season, then that's a problem for that Conference, not for the rest of the nation.

Remember, the Playoffs are in place to determine the Best Team in College Football.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want the four best teams in the playoffs, that's all I care about.

Cant just have conf champs; need the FOUR BEST teams in the playoffs.

drops mic, walks away