• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Told You Last Year Wasn't Any Fun

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted them pulled? LOL.
Was there a choice?
Only shot for them to be on a court last year would have been if they joined a wheelchair league.

Anyway, you are saying ( correctly) that the Lakers need to smartly plan for the future.

Well. That also applies to the Heat.
If James was going to become a FA every single summer, then it might not seem like it today, but in a few years you will see that it was in the Heats best interest for him to just be gone now.

The Heat still has a good team though and an excellent chance of going to the finals. If both Kobe and Nash were to pull off a miracle by being healthy the entire season, the Lakers might have a chance, but with Nick Young injured already the first week into the season - it does not look good at all.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thought I have is "Who cares if they didn't have any fun last season? They made plenty of money and will be independently wealthy for the rest of their lives and have golden opportunities very few people will have. If they were miserable the entire season because they "Were not having any fun" - Then that is their fault for not knowing how to cope with the regular season and deal with the pressure related to the job. That's life - by comparison I've seen players like Kobe laughing and having fun with Phil Jackson even when they lost. It's all how you deal with it mentally speaking. They were on top of the world as the defending champions - they should have enjoyed the moment and taken it one day at a time. Time is too short to be miserable.

you have seen Kobe laugh when they have lost?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my YouTube clip above. We weren't here at SportsHoopla in 2010, but the clip just goes to show you how overzealous and immature both the Heat players and fans were back then...

Heat fans never said anything about winning 7 in a row. Stop the fucking lies.

Lebron saying 7 in a row has nothing to do with the Heat fans. He was a Heat player....Not a Heat fan so showing the video is irrelevant.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat fans never said anything about winning 7 in a row. Stop the fucking lies.

Lebron saying 7 in a row has nothing to do with the Heat fans. He was a Heat player....Not a Heat fan so showing the video is irrelevant.

Not only that, but anyone who takes that clip for anything but which it was, isn't worth discussing it with.

The point of James comment was that he chose Miami because he felt that it gave him the best opportunity to compete for championship.
He competed for 4 in 4 years.
Enough said.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be one of the rare former Heat Haters who wasn't bothered by the "not 2 not 5" etc.

He is just saying his goal every year is to win the championship.

That should be everyone's goal. If someone is playing with an alternative goal than to win, they need to play for someone else.

Pop and Duncan may have never said that but do you believe their goal is anything other than to win the championship every year they are in the league?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be one of the rare former Heat Haters who wasn't bothered by the "not 2 not 5" etc.

He is just saying his goal every year is to win the championship.

That should be everyone's goal. If someone is playing with an alternative goal than to win, they need to play for someone else.

Pop and Duncan may have never said that but do you believe their goal is anything other than to win the championship every year they are in the league?

And that's what I said on CBS. All he basically was saying is that the sky is the limit for the team and their goal/expectation every year is to be champions

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have seen Kobe laugh when they have lost?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......

I have a few times - I have seen him and Phil talking to each other across the court, laughing and smiling. I suppose that unlike others they realize that life is to short to live angry.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's what I said on CBS. All he basically was saying is that the sky is the limit for the team and their goal/expectation every year is to be champions

Nice spin job there. The politicans couldn't have did any better.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice spin job there. The politicans couldn't have did any better.

No, you're right. He really meant and believed that the Heat would win at least 7+ championships in a row.:L
Are you really that simple minded?

He really thought that group of mid 30 year olds was just going to continue to stay status quo and dominate the league?:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you're right. He really meant and believed that the Heat would win at least 7+ championships in a row.:L
Are you really that simple minded?

He really thought that group of mid 30 year olds was just going to continue to stay status quo and dominate the league?:lol:

Honestly - I think nearly everyone believed it. The expectations were really high until the Heat that ass whipped by Dallas. Then those expectations came crashing down. I think if they had won three straight with this season, Lebron would have stayed, but losing made him realize that it was just the matter of time before the team had to be rebuilt and decided it was better to bolt for a team that had already been rebuilding. Had the Lakers kept Dwight, and perhaps landed Chris Paul, he would have been knocking on the Lakers doors without a doubt in my mind. I'm not going to criticize him for that though - my only complaint has been how he left Cleveland the first time - He had every right to leave. That's what being a free agent is all about

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have NEVER had a bad thing to say about D-wade(outside of his flopping), but I gotta call a spade a spade...he's full of crap here. Look, going for a title as the unquestioned favorite(in the public's eyes)year after year is not fun unless you win. It was all fine when they won, and I'm willing to bet that if they won 3 in a row, all would ultimately be fine. Oh and lastly and once again, we tried to tell y'all about that 4th year

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call BS on your post....Think about it from his perspective here.

1) They had him on a maintenance plan

2) They had scheduled games that he would sit out

3) He probably didn't feel like a part of the team as he was told he must sit out of practice/games frequently as a part of the plan

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I do understand that perspective... but at the least he had to understand that that was to keep him fresh for the playoffs, as he had struggled with health the past couple of years in the playoffs. It all worked out for the better until they ran into San Antonio

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I do understand that perspective... but at the least he had to understand that that was to keep him fresh for the playoffs, as he had struggled with health the past couple of years in the playoffs. It all worked out for the better until they ran into San Antonio

I propose that the real part that hurt the most was when they realized that they were not as good as they thought. Go back four seasons to the point where Lebron predicted 7 championships. The thought that they could beat half of the time was inconceivable to them. They made excuses for the first year and went on to win two in a row and honestly thought that they would go on to win that seven and got beat. That doesn't end there though because then they had to remember that the last championship was won only on a miracle shot by Ray Allen and suddenly they wake up and realize that the entire four years could have easily been 1-4 instead of 2-4 and that would have to be depressing when your ego was that large

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Times and mindset change depending on circumstance.
Last year the preseason Lakers fan conversation was about if you could make the playoffs.

Are you saying that if you did make them this year ( which you won't) that you wouldn't be satisfied?

In a word, no. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I expect a title or even making the playoffs. But as a Lakers fan, ANY season where they don't win it all is not a satisfying season.

I will be happy if the team stays healthy, plays hard every night and is fun too watch as that will show improvement over the past 3-4 seasons and that we may have the right coach.

But satisfied if they make the playoffs? Not even close.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what Wade is saying, however, it's something that just shouldn't be said because it comes off as whining.

The Heat put a target on themselves as soon as they decided to bring in Lebron and Bosh. Then "The Decision," "The After Party" and much of what they said and did during that first year together just made the target that much bigger.

That's part of why Lakers fans were telling Heat fans about how difficult it is to get to the finals 4 straight seasons, let alone win it in that 4th season.

A team going through a run like the Heat just had, have to take every teams best shot, every single game. There's a point where the grind just becomes overwhelming and that's as much mental as physical.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets be real guys. There is no rebuild advantage this year for the lakers to play like they did albeit with injuries last year. They have no chance at getting a first rounder this year. It thus makes total sense to wish for playoffs etc. it's two years of 500 ball for LA. But if it give a few young players a chance to develop its not like a total loss

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets be real guys. There is no rebuild advantage this year for the lakers to play like they did albeit with injuries last year. They have no chance at getting a first rounder this year. It thus makes total sense to wish for playoffs etc. it's two years of 500 ball for LA. But if it give a few young players a chance to develop its not like a total loss

This is what I hope to see over the next couple of years.

For this season, I'd like to see Kobe get through the season healthy and playing at a high level.

I'd like to see Nash also get through the season healthy, mentor the Lakers young guards and play well enough to go out on his terms.

I want to see the young guys like Swaggy P, Kelly, Lin, Clarkson, Randle, Hill and Wes Johnson continue to develop their games so that they can hopefully be a part of better things starting in 2016.

I'd like to see Boozer be the solid 15/10 guy that he was a couple of seasons ago and help mentor the young guys.

I want to see if Byron can show that he can be the coach for the foreseeable future and be the guy to help get the Lakers back to where we are used to seeing them.

If all of that adds up to a playoff appearance or 2, fine. If not, I'm not worried about it as long as I continue to see improvement and the team is fun to watch.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a word, no. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I expect a title or even making the playoffs. But as a Lakers fan, ANY season where they don't win it all is not a satisfying season.

I will be happy if the team stays healthy, plays hard every night and is fun too watch as that will show improvement over the past 3-4 seasons and that we may have the right coach.

But satisfied if they make the playoffs? Not even close.

I'm confused on how you can be happy if all things you are hoping to see come to fruition, but still not be satisfied.

Winning it all takes an exceptional roster, plus then hoping they stay healthy, etc..
If it is painfully clear that you don't have championship talent, then I personally adjust my expectations, and if those are met I feel very satisfied with the season.