• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think it's a mistake to go into "reload" mode

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thats fine if you think the 49ers should do that... just try to not get too disappointed when they don't blow up the team. If they can keep the defense together, then they'll still be in the playoffs next year... If they bring in a great WR corps, then that'll hide Smith's limitations and Gore's inability to stay healthy. If they bring in a better QB, that'll hide the weakness at WR and Gore's health... Either of which should put the offense in a situation where they can actually get 3rd down conversions to easily win games after the defense beats the shit out of the opponent.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny that you bring up the Pats trading Seymour as Belicheck has been on record in saying that trading Seymour for the 1st rd picks he did was a MISTAKE! And we are talking about Raider picks, which we both know are consistently high picks.

Steelers and Ravens RE-SIGN, they don't sign other teams' FA. If their own players are excelling, they get paid. But they don't buy other team's FA typically, especially ones of the high priced variety.

The talent needed is mainly on the offensive side of the ball. And there, we need WRs (plural) badly, first and foremost. You compare talent and I would say that we are comparable to the likes of GB, NO, etc. as our defense is ultimately one of the most explosive, fundamentally sound units in the league. It is our offense that needs addressing. Much like GB, NO, NE, need to address their defenses. I disagree with your notion that these other teams are worlds better as you implied.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's funny that you bring up the Pats trading Seymour as Belicheck has been on record in saying that trading Seymour for the 1st rd picks he did was a MISTAKE! And we are talking about Raider picks, which we both know are consistently high picks.

You keep confirming what I've been saying. If you read carefully you would've seen that I was on record saying it was a mistake too (from day 1). Why? The Pats should've been in win-this-year-at-all-costs mode. The Niners should not be.

Steelers and Ravens RE-SIGN, they don't sign other teams' FA. If their own players are excelling, they get paid. But they don't buy other team's FA typically, especially ones of the high priced variety.

So the Niners never should've signed Justin Smith right?

We're in agreement about the offense, but we might not agree to the extent I think the offense needs more talent.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick, you are hopeless. When the Niners signed Justin Smith, they were starved for talent and an identity. He has been instrumental in improving BOTH on this team. You are comparing the Niners of 4 yrs ago with what is going on now. Stop this shit already. Focus on right now. Right now, we are an established team with an identity and a slew of talented players. We have done so by SHREWD FA signings and solid drafts. When we were in rebuilding mode, we had to overspend to get guys here...and the desperation from which we were bidding for them was known all over. We are NOT that team any longer. We are at a point that we shouldn't go all Dream Team and start buying players. We should be looking at our system, what works with our system, and start to DEVELOP heir apparents to key positions as opposed to buying it in FA and hoping the puzzle pieces fit.

And why SHOULDN'T the Niners be in WIN NOW mode. That doesn't mean mortgage the future and it certainly doesn't mean to gut the present either. We were a couple offensive weapons and a KR knowing when the fuck to get out of the way of the ball away from staring down Tom Brady and co. this week in the Super Bowl. Why SHOULDN'T we try to stay the course? It got us this far and it hasn't even had time to hatch fully...all in ONE YEAR.

Lastly, on offense, what is the extent in which you believe we need more offense?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And why SHOULDN'T the Niners be in WIN NOW mode. That doesn't mean mortgage the future and it certainly doesn't mean to gut the present either.

It's impossible to have it both ways. Anything that puts an ear mark on the next few years in terms of salary is the definition of mortgaging the future. The difference between what you want to do and what I want to do is your 2012 team has a better chance of being better than mine, but my 2013, 2014 & 2015 teams have a better chance of being better than yours. I'm more concerned with the latter.

Lastly, on offense, what is the extent in which you believe we need more offense?

The Niners are 1 dimentional. They need a good quarterback: plain and simple. What isn't simple is getting one, and it could take a few years to do so.

This doesn't mean they can't win a SB with Alex; I just think that they have just as good a chance of winning one with Kaepernick; and no matter who the QB is they need to keep putting a premium on pass rushers. If that's Mario then great. If it's Nick Perry or Robert Mathis that'd be nice. Maybe even Vinny Curry. But they need to keep the pass rush strong for years to come.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just think that they have just as good a chance of winning one with Kaepernick

I need to see the thoughts that led to this.

There is a reason a guy that talented slipped to the 2nd round and who knows how far into it cause we traded up to get.

It's the learning curve of NFL QB. If you give him a McNabb curve it was his 3rd year in the NFL where you could say he would give a team QB play approx what we got in 2011 and will get next year.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I got to say that this is the funniest thread I have ever read, We go 13-3 and make it to the NFC championship game and then we get ignorant people talking about gutting the team. Are you fucking kidding me? We need to continue building through the draft and pursuing FA that supposedly second tier, i.e. Rogers, Edwards (although that didnt work out it was a good signing at the time), Goldsen (Although he was our FA). Honestly we must continue to rebuild and allow players like Aldon, and the younger players to continue to learn from these Vets. Justin Smith has alot more to offer this team than just his play on the field, His Leadership and Experience alone helps to guide the younger players. The thought of trading him is just ridiculous,

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't mean they can't win a SB with Alex; I just think that they have just as good a chance of winning one with Kaepernick;

I'm having a hard time seeing the evidence that Kaepernick gives the 49ers just as good a chance as winning as Smith? I like Kaep, but I don't see how he can step right in and not make critical mistakes, accurately read the defense on a consistent basis, and win the superbowl. Kaep is a somewhat raw, 2nd year QB who's only NFL experience has come in garbage time....or am I missing something here?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm having a hard time seeing the evidence that Kaepernick gives the 49ers just as good a chance as winning as Smith? I like Kaep, but I don't see how he can step right in and not make critical mistakes, accurately read the defense on a consistent basis, and win the superbowl. Kaep is a somewhat raw, 2nd year QB who's only NFL experience has come in garbage time....or am I missing something here?

if you're missing something here, then so am i.

its good CK spent a year in the NFL cause he's now comfortable with NFL "life". he's now comfortable with his teammates and that much ahead on scheme.

if we were forced to go with CK, then we'd go with him, but giving Alex Smith $10M over two years isn't forcing our hand. so unless Alex holds out for franchise money, he'll continue in 2012.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who cares if he's comfortable with teammates, i'd be a bit scared to go with kap as our back up next year without a vet that can step in just in case.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Sick, you are WRONG! The Niners can ABSOLUTELY be in win now mode while also building through the future. Put an emphasis on positions of need in FA with SMART, cap friendly signings (a la Rogers) while drafting to create levels of maturity within your roster.

Your assertion that Kap is ready for QB on this team is laughable. I will go ahead and trust in Harbaugh on this over you. If harbaugh hands over the reigns to CK, then I will be ok with it. If this team seeks out Smith to a 2-3 yr deal, then its obvious that Harbaugh is not comfortable with CK's development yet. In Harbaugh I trust....and right now, he is saying that Smith is his guy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
who cares if he's comfortable with teammates, i'd be a bit scared to go with kap as our back up next year without a vet that can step in just in case.

i care cause who says Alex plays all 16 games?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

please delete this comment. right in the middle of editting it, got held up on the phone. 10 minutes then ran off, :-(

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

please delete this comment. right in the middle of editting it, got held up on the phone. 10 minutes then ran off, :-(

Yeah, please delete ;). I didn't understand what you were saying because Smitty, I mean, Iguana was talking about if Alex didn't play 16 games. :confused: Though, I suppose you still are right, we do need a backup to our backup to our backup plan.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ok, let me start over...........

can Harbaugh gauge Tolzien adequately thru his 2011 practices? cause unless Harbaugh already knows Tolzien ain't it, why would we cut him? Harbaugh invested a year in development and he doesn't have negative game reps?

now one can say because this new vet is 'good' and thats fine, but what good vet will agree to be CK's back-up?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's plenty of qb's that need work every offseason...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, let me start over...........

can Harbaugh gauge Tolzien adequately thru his 2011 practices? cause unless Harbaugh already knows Tolzien ain't it, why would we cut him? Harbaugh invested a year in development and he doesn't have negative game reps?

now one can say because this new vet is 'good' and thats fine, but what good vet will agree to be CK's back-up?

I think "just in case" is in reference to Smith getting injured and coming in to avoid Kaep playing - not just in case Alex gets injured, Kaep fails. I don't think Iguana was thinking about Kaep starting (Alex not on roster, good vet backup). I'm afraid this is the case that the more you like Alex, the worse Kaep must be.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For grater clarity instead of saying I think the Niners have just as good a chance of winning a SB with Alex as with Kaep I should've said the Niners have just as BAD a chance of winning a SB with Alex as with Kaep.