• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Love Trades: Rumor Time

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to have to disagree Filo, with all do respect. Suter is the superior all around dman on that pairing. Weber is an increadible dman and better offensively but doesn't hold a candle to Suter defensively and Suter moves the puck just as well if not better.

Weber is waaay more physical and is a threat on the PP. Only thing Suter does better is defensive zone coverage and gap control in my opinion. Suter doesn't command respect from forwards on the PK, he's also not a huge physical presence (although he's not shy with contact). Weber isn't as good in the defensive zone, but he definitely holds a candle to Suter (even though Suter is the superior defender, it's not by head and shoulders). If I have a choice and I'm paying Suter $7.5mil or Weber $8.5mil, I know who I'm taking.....and it's not even close. Bottom line is, if I have to start my team, Weber >>> Suter (if Cap hits are equal). I think Suter is an excellent defenseman. I'd just love to see how he plays without Weber.

I would be open to listening to the argument that Suter may be the better fit as a defenseman for the Sharks since they already have a Weber-Lite defenseman in Brent Burns (a big RH shot, physical defenseman that has a cannon from the point). But if you try to convince me that Suter deserves the same paycheck as Weber (or even within $1million handicap), then there's really no way that we'll see eye to eye. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm set in my opinion.....and I respectfully disagree since I know you're a smart, smart hockey guy with much more experience in the field than me.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His uncle has been in San Jose quite a bit lately. There's been a few interview's with him during Sharks games that made it sound like he's lobbying both Wilson and Ryan that direction. It also probably helps that Joe Pavelski is one of his best friends.

That would sure be something. I've wanted to see Suter in teal for a few years now. He's the type of player that would give the Sharks a defense capable of beating teams like Chicago and Vancouver in the playoffs.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth I take Weber over Suter. It's close but Weber is my choice and here's why:

-THE most important thing a skater can do for his team in the modern NHL is generate offense. This includes defenseman. Weber does this better than Suter and he does it without being deficient defensively.

- One of the primary traits I love in a defenseman is his ability to intimidate forwards. This is not done by fighting, or else Matt Carkner would be among the best D-men out there. It's done by being mobile and a little nasty. Weber does this as well as anybody by laying big hits on forwards coming on the rush. Suter plays his angles as well as anybody but he's not scaring anybody. That factor of intimidation is more disruptive to a team's play than just eliminating scoring chances.

I'd LOVE either player on my team. In fact they;d both be GREAT fits on the Sens with Cowen and Karlsson moving forward. If I'm taking one though it would be Weber.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think much of Suter's success comes from having a guy like Weber to feed the puck to. His numbers are higher because he get Weber the puck so quickly and Weber has such a bomb. Likewise, Weber knows he can be more aggressive because he's got a guy like Suter there to protect him, who right now might be the best in the NHL at breaking up a two on one. Both of these guys need each other, so in conclusion the only sensible thing for them to do is both of them come and sign in Detroit this summer.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Weber is waaay more physical and is a threat on the PP. Only thing Suter does better is defensive zone coverage and gap control in my opinion. Suter doesn't command respect from forwards on the PK, he's also not a huge physical presence (although he's not shy with contact). Weber isn't as good in the defensive zone, but he definitely holds a candle to Suter (even though Suter is the superior defender, it's not by head and shoulders). If I have a choice and I'm paying Suter $7.5mil or Weber $8.5mil, I know who I'm taking.....and it's not even close. Bottom line is, if I have to start my team, Weber >>> Suter (if Cap hits are equal). I think Suter is an excellent defenseman. I'd just love to see how he plays without Weber.

I would be open to listening to the argument that Suter may be the better fit as a defenseman for the Sharks since they already have a Weber-Lite defenseman in Brent Burns (a big RH shot, physical defenseman that has a cannon from the point). But if you try to convince me that Suter deserves the same paycheck as Weber (or even within $1million handicap), then there's really no way that we'll see eye to eye. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm set in my opinion.....and I respectfully disagree since I know you're a smart, smart hockey guy with much more experience in the field than me.

For the record I don't think either are worth the money you're stating. Heck, I don't think Weber's worth the $7.5m he's getting now.

Both players rely on each other a lot. In the last 15 games that Suter has missed Weber has had only 4 points (1 goal, 3 assists). Likewise Suter has had just 2 points (1 goal, 1 assist) in the last 6 that Weber has missed. Not the best sample size but enough to get an idea.

I understand the intimidation part of Weber's game but one of his biggest problems is he chases hits at the cost of his defensive positioning.

Perhaps it's because I focus more on overall team play and results that I view Suter as the better dman. When Weber's been without Suter his game at both ends of the ice has been very poor and the team record (6-8-1) has suffered greatly. On the other hand Suter's point production suffers without Weber but he's still provides elite level defense and the team is still successful (4-2-0).

I think our difference in views is a matter of us putting more importance on different aspects of the games.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fairly telling that Suter spends more time on ice than Weber (not by much, but still). Suter is the safer player to have out there. I've said this before, but I believe from a strictly defensive standpoint Suter is the best in the league. Intelligence-wise, he stacks up with Pronger and Lidstrom in his own zone. He's not huge, he's not a bone crusher, but he's scrappy, cagey, tough, and can clear a crease. Offensive-wise, he's smart, not prolific or creative, but he can hang on the power play and distribute the puck. He doesn't really have a lot of weapons to feed in Nashville outside of Weber. I think he would be a perfect fit on a team like San Jose or Detroit. Weber I don't think will age well. People go nuts over guys who can hit big and one time the puck, but at some point those guys almost ALWAYS end up being overpaid and a liability. I'm not saying he's going to end up like McCabe or Souray, but I also don't think he's the second coming of MacInnis, either.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone else wants me to continue slobbering all over Ryan Suter, just stand by... I will be doing this all season.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think much of Suter's success comes from having a guy like Weber to feed the puck to. His numbers are higher because he get Weber the puck so quickly and Weber has such a bomb. Likewise, Weber knows he can be more aggressive because he's got a guy like Suter there to protect him, who right now might be the best in the NHL at breaking up a two on one. Both of these guys need each other, so in conclusion the only sensible thing for them to do is both of them come and sign in Detroit this summer.

:thumb:

I approve this post...

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what would Detroit be giving Nashville for Weber? Where would the Wings be getting 16 million in cap space from? Good Luck. One of them yes. Both, no chance.LOL

Would you just let me enjoy my dream for just one minute dammit!!!! :rant: :D

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an RFA, so I would assume draft picks.

They have $25M in space for next year, LOL.

CapGeek.com :: It's a numbers game :: NBA :: Salary Cap Chart

I predict Nashville WILL match ANY offersheet Weber receives. Especially from the Red Wings. If they have to trade him afterward so be it. They aren't going to allow Weber to go to Detroit under any circumstances.

You might get Suter, but San Jose, Philly & others will make it difficult. There's ZERO chance Weber will be a Red Wing next year.

What do you think the percentage is for Lidstrom retiring at the end of the season?

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALLsportsINTEL Rich Smith
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Philadelphia Flyers & Los Angeles Kings reportedly in early stages of trade talks centered around Jack Johnson & JVR

DennisTFP Dennis Bernstein
While we discount Jack Johnson for James vanRiemsdyk, Flyers definitely shopping him.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALLsportsINTEL Rich Smith
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Philadelphia Flyers & Los Angeles Kings reportedly in early stages of trade talks centered around Jack Johnson & JVR

DennisTFP Dennis Bernstein
While we discount Jack Johnson for James vanRiemsdyk, Flyers definitely shopping him.

It's a deal that would help both teams. When will JVR be ready to play???

However, if I were Lombardi I'd want someone a bit more proven in the goal scoring department.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a deal that would help both teams. When will JVR be ready to play???

However, if I were Lombardi I'd want someone a bit more proven in the goal scoring department.

BroadStBull Sam Carchidi
There is still no timetable for when Briere or JVR can begin skating,GM Paul Holmgren said. Both are out with concussions. #Flyers

I'd like this deal, just doesnt add up for the Kings right now

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BroadStBull Sam Carchidi
There is still no timetable for when Briere or JVR can begin skating,GM Paul Holmgren said. Both are out with concussions. #Flyers

I'd like this deal, just doesnt add up for the Kings right now

Johnson has a cap friendly deal too. It will be interesting to see what the Kings do. They definately need a goal scorer. Letting Ryan Smyth go for cap reasons was obviously a mistake. I guess they should have given Matt Moulson a chance.:D:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict Nashville WILL match ANY offersheet Weber receives. Especially from the Red Wings. If they have to trade him afterward so be it. They aren't going to allow Weber to go to Detroit under any circumstances.

You might get Suter, but San Jose, Philly & others will make it difficult. There's ZERO chance Weber will be a Red Wing next year.

What do you think the percentage is for Lidstrom retiring at the end of the season?

Zero chance, huh? That's what they said about Hossa... :D

I say 50%-50% he retires if they don't go to the SCF, almost 100% he retires if they win the Cup, if they lose in the Cup finals then... all bets are off.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3