• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hope Michael Sam flames out in the NFL

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just like to say Mike Oher did not play himself nor washe in front of cameras while in training camp. It is a shit comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to imagine none of us are as big of pricks as it may seem. Could you imagine if someone like Clyde or Imac acted this way in real life??? Frightening. I love both of those guys. But frightening.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't know about the button thing so maybe you guys are on to something. I think it's ridiculous to get on Sam because the media shoves the story down our throats but if he's really doing stuff that is hypocritical then I get that. Sorry if I overreacted.

I do still wish Clyde had made a better choice, less troll-baity choice but oh well.

Ask Clyde and if he remembers I gave him hell. I support what he did now. He should be a mod again and I support that 100%. We need some toughening up on our board. We've won 5 fucking Super Bowls and are among the leagues elite franchises. Let's win our 6th this year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Clyde, I really don't care about your feelings on gay people. And you know that wasn't my main point, because you're not new to this posting thing, you're not an idiot, and I know you have quality reading comprehension skills.

I was disappointed that just a couple of days ago you were railing against the shitting up of this site and the cesspooly nature of some of it, and then you make a post about a gay player flaming out. You're better than that, and we expect more out of you.

The button thing is something I didn't know about, and might get me on board with what you guys are talking about. So he said he just wanted to be a football player and then made those buttons?

You're the one who came in hot with the unwarranted 'you're a homophobe' attacks. I didn't make this thread to bait anything. It's an extension of a conversation we had on this very board and thought it proved my point about Sam's hypocrisy. That's why I put it on this board not the general board (which I refuse to go on).

As for the title, there was absolutely no pun intended.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Michael Oher comparison is quite accurate...

I would say this is more like a Tim Tebow case... It started out fine but it quickly turned into a "'were going to ride this bitch until the wheels fall off" scenario... Since coming out, Sam has taken every opportunity to tell the world he is gay... Thats great, we get it, and in most cases he has been wished the best with hopes of success... But much like Tebow, at some point those who rooted for him will eventually get sick of the circus and it will back-fire on Sam as well...

If he truely wants to make it a point that he just wants to play football and be accepted as such, then he should jump off the media train, and stop forcing his story down people's throats...

Tim Tebow is a better comparison. There was no way anyone could look at Tim Tebow as just a football player. His hype transcended the sport, and the media attention is a huge reason why he's not a roster today.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys figure it out. I'm in support of both you guys.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to imagine none of us are as big of pricks as it may seem. Could you imagine if someone like Clyde or Imac acted this way in real life??? Frightening. I love both of those guys. But frightening.

I act the exact same way on my posts as I do in real life. So if I come across as an asshole, then I guess I am an asshole. :suds:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow is a better comparison. There was no way anyone could look at Tim Tebow as just a football player. His hype transcended the sport, and the media attention is a huge reason why he's not a roster today.

He was a 7th grade talent drafted in the first round. What is the opposite of a sleeper pick?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree this is too much. Be a football player not some poster boy.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a lot of negativity thrown the lgbt's way, this thread just is going to be perceived as more hatred. I know that's not the intention, but it can easily be mistaken as it. The guy is a football player, not Jesus, he's allowed to contradict himself and let money sway his decisions.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of negativity thrown the lgbt's way, this thread just is going to be perceived as more hatred. I know that's not the intention, but it can easily be mistaken as it. The guy is a football player, not Jesus, he's allowed to contradict himself and let money sway his decisions.

And anyone else who keeps contradicting himself and manipulating the system in the same capacity, regardless the reason, should be called out on it.

Doesn't mean I should want people like this to succeed.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sam does not play well, will all of those sports announcers come down just as hard on him as they did on Tim Tebow? ...that is what I will be watching for.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sam does not play well, will all of those sports announcers come down just as hard on him as they did on Tim Tebow? ...that is what I will be watching for.

no way... IMO obviously.... different situations...

Tebow, a constant overrated high profile QB taken in the first vs a former SEC DOY pick in the 7th gain popularity based on sexual orientation...

how much impact should a 7th rounder be expected of from the DE position vs a 1st rd QB with questionable NFL QB skills?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way... IMO obviously.... different situations...

Tebow, a constant overrated high profile QB taken in the first vs a former SEC DOY pick in the 7th gain popularity based on sexual orientation...

how much impact should a 7th rounder be expected of from the DE position vs a 1st rd QB with questionable NFL QB skills?

Sam is also high profile and probably would have not been drafted at all if not for his profile status.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam is also high profile and probably would have not been drafted at all if not for his profile status.

I think this is where we'll have a different interpretation of high profile... while yes you are right in that Sam is high profile due to his sexual orientation.

Tebow came out of a bigger program(much more appeal to the nation) and guided the gators to two BCS titles(IIRC)... now the knock or the common rant/attention was on that whether or not Tebow could perform as an NFL QB.

Sam, mostly unknown(at least to me prior to this season) came on with a strong year for a DE. Did not gain nation wide attention for his football play nor as a possible NFL prospect was looked at as day 1 or day 2 pick for the most part. But his profile blew up due to him expressing or unveiling his sexual orientation which is becoming a new trend for media buffets.

Tebow's criticism often drew analogies or comparisons that reached out to black/white perspectives. Sam's minority status didn't really play a card IMO, at least for me.... then with Oprah doing this or suggesting to do so, a poster made a post about if he was white would Oprah have done it. While that post may have been a joke(a bit) it could've also served as a piece of reality.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is some hypocrisy in how Sam is dealing this this, I don't disagree with that. He says he just wants to be a football player, but he does draw more attention to himself than necessary. To some extent, it may have been inevitable that the first openly gay NFL player would be someone who wants to be in the spotlight. At least, if that player was going to be a rookie.

I applaud Sam for his decision to come out, whatever the motivations were. As I said on the main board, it's a gutsy move, particularly for a rookie. Someone had to be the first, and in many ways it won't be an easy road. The reaction to him kissing his BF on national TV makes that abundantly clear (and yes, I thought the cake bit was over the top, but let's not pretend people weren't already freaking out after what was a pretty darn innocent kiss initially).

Several realities intrude into this case, making it more complicated than the ordinary "player aggrandizement" issue. The first reality is that it is news, and fairly big news at that. As much as some people - including Sam - will say, "Who cares who he sleeps with? He should just play football," it's not that simple. His story is going to be followed and publicized, whether he wants it to be or not. The second reality is that some people - and frankly, it's not a small number - will actively root against Sam because he is gay. They will want to see him fail simply because of his sexual preference.

As far as Sam's self-aggrandizement goes, I don't like to see it. I'd prefer the first openly gay NFL player wasn't so eager to thrust himself into the limelight. But more than a few gay players feared the limelight and did everything they could to avoid it. If the tradeoff for someone coming out in the NFL is that they seek attention, I don't have a terrific problem with it. An NFL player being inconsistent or somewhat insincere in terms of their stated intentions versus their actions certainly won't cause me to actively root against them. Seems to me that sort of thing happens all the time. Personally, I will continue to root for Sam because I think it is good for our society to have openly gay players succeeding in the NFL.