• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hope Michael Sam flames out in the NFL

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if he cashes in but I just don't want to hear about "It's all about football" or what a courageous person he is.

If he really wanted to pave the way for future openly gay men than he should be trying to keep his head down as much as possible and focus on football.

If you don't want people to make a big deal out of an openly gay football player than don't make a big deal out of an openly gay football player.

I just don't understand why this is more outrageous than other stories about people overcoming other kinds of adversity.

I'll admit that I haven't followed the story super closely so maybe I'm totally off base here. Could you guys link me to stuff showing Sam being fake or trying to cash in? Right now all I've seen is the media trying to cash in, but again if I'm wrong then please set me straight (not a pun, mouth-breathers)

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is he doing in opposition to that desire?

We are actually going to get on his case for the media jumping all over this story? Seriously? Do you guys exist in the real world?

I can't put crayons on here or I would. I guess I'm not making myself clear and need to enforce my opinion. I'm not saying he had a choice in his sexual desires, I'm saying he had a choice in not pretending he's not playing off his minority status. I didn't think you needed that much explaining but apparently I was wrong. Here's how it works; " I want to be known as, only thought as, an NFL rookie and nothing more. Please don't consider me a gay player but just a player and don't bring it up again." The problem is that he isn't living up to his end of the bargain. Don't be fake or I'll see your lies and will accost you. Should I write this in another language? It should be clear in English.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Cameras will follow Sam as he works to earn his spot on the St. Louis Rams all while under the intense scrutiny of being the first openly gay player in the NFL."

fucking come on :L he won't be facing any scrutiny at all unless it's for not being good enough to make the team

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize that no matter what player did this it was going to be a huge story and the Oprahs of the world would chomp at the bit to make a TV movie about it, right? I mean shit, why wasn't anyone complaining about Michael Oher cashing in?

I fully get why crusty old homophobic men wouldn't like this but it's newsworthy for sure.

Yuppp. Was coming in here to say this, he will cash in, same way Oher did.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really have a problem with him doing the show, but the timing is terrible if it is following him trying to make the team. He will be slammed if this shows him doing anything besides going back to the hotel and studying. Yeah, there is some down time, but pretty boring to just practice then study. The reason Hard Knocks works is because it shows a multitude of players so there is enough going on. Producers want an entertaining show. If it is a true documentary then fine, but oprah already had a failed show with lohan so I feel she is going to want this to work. A guy going back to the hotel and studying doesn't make for entertainment so I wonder if there is pressure to "entertain."

The one thing I worry about is the perception. Already, people have been complaining that he was overlooked because of his sexual orientation when in reality he was a fringe player. Everyone keeps saying, "SEC defensive player of the year so he is a great player" but they don't realize that great college player doesn't mean great NFL player. Look at the failures in the NFL of Heisman winners. And if he did slip slightly in the draft I think it is more the fact that teams don't want a media circus for a guy who might not even make the team. The fact that he is doing this show justifies those worries (if there were those worries to begin with) What happens if someone gets in a fight with him in camp? Fights happen all the time, but are people going to think he is being targeted for being gay? Or if he is being scrutinized will it be blown out of proportion because of that?

This might be a stretch, but the last thing I don't like about it is that him being drafted to the rams might put a chip on the shoulders of the really good draft picks they had. Nobody is talking about donald or robinson. That might piss me off if I am an impact player and nobody cares because of a guy who is being talked about for something other than football. Type rams rookie into google and sam is the first thing to come up. Maybe I am making shit up, but if I am a top pick I don't like that.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't put crayons on here or I would. I guess I'm not making myself clear and need to enforce my opinion. I'm not saying he had a choice in his sexual desires, I'm saying he had a choice in not pretending he's not playing off his minority status. I didn't think you needed that much explaining but apparently I was wrong. Here's how it works; " I want to be known as, only thought as, an NFL rookie and nothing more. Please don't consider me a gay player but just a player and don't bring it up again." The problem is that he isn't living up to his end of the bargain. Don't be fake or I'll see your lies and will accost you. Should I write this in another language? It should be clear in English.

I'm still terribly confused (you're going to have to help me follow along. Sorry, I'm not the smartest guy around).

So, Oprah (and the media) making a huge deal out of all this is in opposition to his desire to become an NFL player?

Or, are you saying that him saying "I just want to be a football player" and then agreeing to do an Oprah documentary is hypocritical?

If what you're saying is the latter then I can dig it on some level. But look, if we are going to get up in arms about him "cashing in" (how much is he getting paid for all his gayness anyway?) then we have to get pissed off at all other players who cash in based on similar stories of overcoming adversity. And that was my main point. Don't pretend to not be homophobic while also simultaneously creating a little cesspool here on this board.

I'll just leave it at this so you guys can continue to cess up this pool without my interference: I don't believe that what most people are posting here isn't driven by at least some level of animus, especially given those posters' posting history, and I think it's silly to try and pretend otherwise by dressing that up in some sort of righteous indignation. But whatever, carry on bros.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I want to see him fail or succeed simply b/c I just don't care...I was happy to see him get a shot...everything from this point is on him.

But I wouldn't slam him or anybody else for taking Oprah's money...she's going to profit off of it, why shouldn't he? Yea, he' could've said no, I just want to play football, but imo that would be silly if someone waved a big sum of money his face...7th rd picks don't get paid in the NFL...take the money.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your whininess is why I barely post here. I'm sure you and your like are happy about that. I'm not really into mentally weak posters. To your point; you actually have NO point. The cess pool will follow and you'll have to deal with it. Imagine if I modded this board. Wouldn't that be crazy? Make a relevant reply or say nothing. I offered an opinion and you just couldn't take it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, "the stalker." Good one Clyde.

Look, I'm all in favor of you hiding your homophobia behind your "Get off my lawn!" "Don't ask, don't tell" libertarian angle, but don't shit up this board in the process. This stuff belongs in the cesspool for the mouth-breathers to feast upon, not here.

Ahhh, the homophobic card. Well played! :suds:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you were pissed about The Blind Side, yes?

Sure. A case can be made against the Blind Side, too. But I don't recall Michael Oher being a 7th round pick trying to make the team, nor do I recall him having press conference after press conference proclaiming himself to be like everyone else and wanting to be looked at exclusively through a football-centric lens.

And this is an extension of a conversation Sick, Crimson and I had after the combine when Sam said he wanted to be treated like everyone else and then proceeded to make and market 'Stand with Sam' pins.

But hey, I don't expect an argument that goes deeper than "OMGZ YOU'RE A HOMOPHOBE" from you so I'll gladly ignore you from now on. :whistle:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I want to see him fail or succeed simply b/c I just don't care...I was happy to see him get a shot...everything from this point is on him.

But I wouldn't slam him or anybody else for taking Oprah's money...she's going to profit off of it, why shouldn't he? Yea, he' could've said no, I just want to play football, but imo that would be silly if someone waved a big sum of money his face...7th rd picks don't get paid in the NFL...take the money.

I'm all for capitalism. Go make your money. But don't go around insisting that you're just like everyone else and want to be treated like everyone else when you're a 7th round pick with 'Stand with Sam' pins and on the cusp of being a reality TV star. He's trying to use the fact that he's gay to make money, but doesn't want to be looked at as a gay football player. Which is it?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Clyde's rebuttal. I guess I'm supporting bigotry more so than hypocrisy. Color me hurt.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. A case can be made against the Blind Side, too. But I don't recall Michael Oher being a 7th round pick trying to make the team, nor do I recall him having press conference after press conference proclaiming himself to be like everyone else and wanting to be looked at exclusively through a football-centric lens.

And this is an extension of a conversation Sick, Crimson and I had after the combine when Sam said he wanted to be treated like everyone else and then proceeded to make and market 'Stand with Sam' pins.

But hey, I don't expect an argument that goes deeper than "OMGZ YOU'RE A HOMOPHOBE" from you so I'll gladly ignore you from now on. :whistle:

No Clyde, I really don't care about your feelings on gay people. And you know that wasn't my main point, because you're not new to this posting thing, you're not an idiot, and I know you have quality reading comprehension skills.

I was disappointed that just a couple of days ago you were railing against the shitting up of this site and the cesspooly nature of some of it, and then you make a post about a gay player flaming out. You're better than that, and we expect more out of you.

The button thing is something I didn't know about, and might get me on board with what you guys are talking about. So he said he just wanted to be a football player and then made those buttons?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think the Michael Oher comparison is quite accurate...

I would say this is more like a Tim Tebow case... It started out fine but it quickly turned into a "'were going to ride this bitch until the wheels fall off" scenario... Since coming out, Sam has taken every opportunity to tell the world he is gay... Thats great, we get it, and in most cases he has been wished the best with hopes of success... But much like Tebow, at some point those who rooted for him will eventually get sick of the circus and it will back-fire on Sam as well...

If he truely wants to make it a point that he just wants to play football and be accepted as such, then he should jump off the media train, and stop forcing his story down people's throats...

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Clyde, I really don't care about your feelings on gay people. And you know that wasn't my main point, because you're not new to this posting thing, you're not an idiot, and I know you have quality reading comprehension skills.

I was disappointed that just a couple of days ago you were railing against the shitting up of this site and the cesspooly nature of some of it, and then you make a post about a gay player flaming out. You're better than that, and we expect more out of you.

The button thing is something I didn't know about, and might get me on board with what you guys are talking about. So he said he just wanted to be a football player and then made those buttons?

So you're saying people like me shouldn't offer an opine? Yeah, I get it, whysies.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your whininess is why I barely post here. I'm sure you and your like are happy about that. I'm not really into mentally weak posters. To your point; you actually have NO point. The cess pool will follow and you'll have to deal with it. Imagine if I modded this board. Wouldn't that be crazy? Make a relevant reply or say nothing. I offered an opinion and you just couldn't take it.

You're hurt because you generally support my opinions, yet you (and your 10K posts) don't post often because you don't like my posts?

Come on bro, pull it together.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're hurt because you generally support my opinions, yet you (and your 10K posts) don't post often because you don't like my posts?

Come on bro, pull it together.

I lurk a lot because you guys argue and I don't feel like getting into arguments that guys that have known each other for years are having. It feels wrong to interfere. I'm not as big of of a prick as it may seem. I actually read your arguments and pick sides.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lurk a lot because you guys argue and I don't feel like getting into arguments that guys that have known each other for years are having. It feels wrong to interfere. I'm not as big of of a prick as it may seem. I actually read your arguments and pick sides.

I'd like to imagine none of us are as big of pricks as it may seem. Could you imagine if someone like Clyde or Imac acted this way in real life??? Frightening. I love both of those guys. But frightening.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't know about the button thing so maybe you guys are on to something. I think it's ridiculous to get on Sam because the media shoves the story down our throats but if he's really doing stuff that is hypocritical then I get that. Sorry if I overreacted.

I do still wish Clyde had made a better choice, less troll-baity choice but oh well.