• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I have figured out the answer to end all the problems in the Big12

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blow it up

Blowup_the_Big12.jpg

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merge with the pac-12. BigPac 20 10 team west/10 team east. lets go.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merge with the pac-12. BigPac 20 10 team west/10 team east. lets go.
I was under the impression the PAC 12 intellectuals...aka Stanford and Cal...were not willing to associate with academic low lifes like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State...nor with Bible thumpers like Baylor and TCU.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression the PAC 12 intellectuals...aka Stanford and Cal...were not willing to associate with academic low lifes like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State...nor with Bible thumpers like Baylor and TCU.

Eventually if they see the gulf between the SEC/B1G and the pac-12 continue, they might be willing to bend on that. Now granted BigPac20 is a far out there idea, but rounding back to Pac16 again makes sense.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're correct.

UT and OU would be welcomed tho...so would Kansas. I suppose they could make an exception for one of the other schools not associated with a religion to round out at 16.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct.

UT and OU would be welcomed tho...so would Kansas. I suppose they could make an exception for one of the other schools not associated with a religion to round out at 16.
Isn't Iowa State an AAU instituion...on whatever the acronym is?

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct.

I think we are at the point of being okay to take little brothers along with big brothers.

If we werent forced to take little brother, I could see Kansas being swapped in there.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, but no one wants ISU or their history of mediocrity in everything.

You have several things that drive Expansion potential, for the pac-12 being AAU/State research school is important. But if you don't have a top AD (Football/basketbal) or you don't deliver TV sets..then it is not likely.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have several things that drive Expansion potential, for the pac-12 being AAU/State research school is important. But if you don't have a top AD (Football/basketbal) or you don't deliver TV sets..then it is not likely.
Difference in the PAC and B1G. See post #70. Big didn't care if they brought in a shitty AD. As long as they brought the TV sets, everything else could be overlooked.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference in the PAC and B1G. See post #70. Big didn't care if they brought in a shitty AD. As long as they brought the TV sets, everything else could be overlooked.

True, but that New York Market. Maryland actually has basketball

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but that New York Market. Maryland actually has basketball

Even without the basketball, Maryland was the far superior acquisition for the Big 10.

Maryland dominates its market. And it is a market flush with disposable income on steroids.
The Baltimore-Washington (MD/DC/VA) corridor is the wealthiest part of the country.
Maryland brings control of it. They are more than equal with the Redskins and Ravens when they are good.

Va Tech, UVA, Navy, and WVU are all peripheral players with smaller stakes.
They can whittle off parts of the market if Maryland is down, but if Maryland is healthy not really.
The TERPS were a big score for the Big 10.

Conversely, RUTGERS puzzles me. They don't deliver the NYC market at all.
Nobody in NY cares about them at all....and they have never cared about them.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even without the basketball, Maryland was the far superior acquisition for the Big 10.

Maryland dominates its market. And it is a market flush with disposable income on steroids.
The Baltimore-Washington (MD/DC/VA) corridor is the wealthiest part of the country.
Maryland brings control of it. They are more than equal with the Redskins and Ravens when they are good.

Va Tech, UVA, Navy, and WVU are all peripheral players with smaller stakes.
They can whittle off parts of the market if Maryland is down, but if Maryland is healthy not really.
The TERPS were a big score for the Big 10.

Conversely, RUTGERS puzzles me. They don't deliver the NYC market at all.
Nobody in NY cares about them at all....and they have never cared about them.

I thought they were able to get BTN in basic cable due to Rutgers joining?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone would if they brought a bunch of TV sets with their "history of mediocrity in everything".

As evidence I offer up Rutgers!

True story, though i maintain Rutgers was a defensive move because the B1G feared being allowing the ACC to control the entire east coast.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. The B1G afterall took Rutgers, then again, Rutgers at least brought a TV market.

Rutgers' market and location are anything but mediocre.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers' market and location are anything but mediocre.
Didn't say they were. Said their AD was...even below mediocre. Have they been competitive in any sport since joining the B1G...i.e. finishing in the top 4 of any sport?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say they were. Said their AD was...even below mediocre. Have they been competitive in any sport since joining the B1G...i.e. finishing in the top 4 of any sport?

I don't know about the non-big name sports, so I can't definitively answer that.

But again, they weren't brought on due to their athletic prowess. The B1G was very worried about getting penned in as a midwest conference where population centers were dwindling. They got lucky (or maybe they had been working behind the scenes for a long time, I don't know) that Maryland asked to join because at that point the ACC was just a few additions away from being in complete control of the eastern seaboard from Boston down to Miami. The B1G would have been stuck.

Once Maryland expressed interest, the next best candidate that was ready to make the leap was Rutgers which worked out really well geographically and allowed the B1G to fully capture the NYC-Philly-Baltimore-DC corridor. If things had gone the other way and Rutgers joined the ACC and Maryland stayed there, the B1G would have been crippled.