• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Found Something Dumber than the Marcus Peters Trade

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on this deal. JAX probably realized early on they were not in play with Cousins. Everybody else in FA that was feasible (I.E. they weren't getting Brees) ...50/50 on whether they're improving or not and the cost would've been higher.

I wouldn't look at this any longer term than this season. More than anything...JAX is buying another season (fairly cheaply actually) with Bortles before making a long term decision.

I tend to agree if I were a Jags fan. I'd probably want to see a new face behind him from the draft.

I agree with your post entirely. Think the Jags will draft a QB, but moving up much to grab the obvious candidates may be deemed to costly. I don' know much about the QBs in this draft, but from what I've read nobody is a slam dunk to be a franchise QB . Opinions are all over about whose the best and who should be included as potential franchise QB, makes no sense to over pay to move way up, now if one falls lower then expected then maybe you try to move up for him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid move for them to have some continuity in the passing game.

Bortles lost his #1 and #2 WRs very early in the year and the rest of the guys were in and out of the lineup, and with all that chaos around him he had the Jags in the AFC title game.

He had a 3 game stretch towards the end the year to lock up the division and clinch a playoff birth. He threw for 7 TDs, no interceptions, and 900 yards while completing over 70 percent of his passes.

He's in the meaty part of the quarterback bell curve and this contract represents that. Solid move.

Only total fucking morons might think otherwise. As this thread demonstrated.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
121 posts and not one of you acknowledged Bortles complete mess of a WR situation all year? Wow.:L

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
121 posts and not one of you acknowledged Bortles complete mess of a WR situation all year? Wow.:L
Post 75 I mentioned some of the issues the remaining cast has with the Jags O.

Bortles himself had a couple of really bad games last year. Watching the Jaguars and Chargers play was cringe worthy and certainly a counter to 'Bortles is winning games for them' and not 'their defense is winning games for them'. He probably saved his job with his great performance against the Steelers and just generally being a better QB down the stretch last year.

It still doesn't change how inconsistent he is. I would definitely draft a QB in one of the first two rounds if I was Jacksonville.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post 75 I mentioned some of the issues the remaining cast has with the Jags O.

Bortles himself had a couple of really bad games last year. Watching the Jaguars and Chargers play was cringe worthy and certainly a counter to 'Bortles is winning games for them' and not 'their defense is winning games for them'. He probably saved his job with his great performance against the Steelers and just generally being a better QB down the stretch last year.

It still doesn't change how inconsistent he is. I would definitely draft a QB in one of the first two rounds if I was Jacksonville.
It makes it way harder to play the position with new guys every other week and minus the top 2. As you alluded, it's not like the backs and TEs provide any kind of advantage for him. Every other final four QB was able to lean heavily on talented TEs and RBs in the passing game.

Of course they should continue to improve the overall talent they have at QB. Most teams should too.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's mentioned several times.

Marquis Lee is not good. One of the most overrated receivers I've ever seen coming into his draft.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marquis Lee is not good. One of the most overrated receivers I've ever seen coming into his draft.
Lee was supposed to be his 3rd or 4th option. Ended up being the most consistent presence.

Bortles had almost nothing to work with all year and he still made a player out of Keelan Cole almost every time he needed to.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee was supposed to be his 3rd or 4th option. Ended up being the most consistent presence.

Bortles had almost nothing to work with all year and he still made a player out of Keelan Cole almost every time he needed to.
I don't think he's that low on the depth chart personally.

Unless Hurns is a #2 and Westbrook is the #3.

No Allen Robinson, again, definitely hurt.

Kinda like having Denard Robinson as his starting running back at times in the past.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if I'd go that far but I remembered thinking he was remarkably average when he came out in the draft and he went about where Id figure he would go. His PFF grade is 'average' which I think further backs that up. I think if Lee is your 2nd best WR then thats ok and your 3rd best WR then thats good. If he is your best WR then you're in real trouble.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the WR argument would be more buyable for me if Bortles was a rookie last season

He has sucked with all types for years now, good WR corps, bad WR corps

I dont buy that at all

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget one very important detail.

Jacksonville plays in the AFC South.

A division that has been won by the likes of Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler.

They'll be a playoff team for years with Blake Bortles.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I'd go that far but I remembered thinking he was remarkably average when he came out in the draft and he went about where Id figure he would go. His PFF grade is 'average' which I think further backs that up. I think if Lee is your 2nd best WR then thats ok and your 3rd best WR then thats good. If he is your best WR then you're in real trouble.
I've always been down on the guy.

Don't like his hands his build or his attitude.

This was established early on for me when he was at USC. Had a lot of "intense" discussions on him on tLions Board back in the day.

He's a serviceable third guy to me, sort of.

I like Hurns and Westbrook as thirds, fwiw.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hands like Ike Taylor.....

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags are drafting 29th, do you think Jackson would still be available? If he is perhaps they draft him. However as the Broncos have shown drafting a QB that isn’t ready for the big league can be a waste of time and leave you at a dead end.

I could see Jville grabbing Lamar J and having him sit. Add another FL football product to their team. Wonder if he drops to late 2nd? Find out more this weekend

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been down on the guy.

Don't like his hands his build or his attitude.

This was established early on for me when he was at USC. Had a lot of "intense" discussions on him on tLions Board back in the day.

He's a serviceable third guy to me, sort of.

I like Hurns and Westbrook as thirds, fwiw.
USC products seem to be polarizing in general. IIRC he had a massive game in college against..Stanford?...and everyone started hyping his draft stock after that but I think he has always just been a good #2 WR.

Footballoutsiders had him as the 39th best WR last year. 2016 they had him as the 18th best WR. I think those drops last year hurt him but I'm not sure that entirely representative of who he'll be over the course of his career. I would take him on the Chiefs as a #2 any day of the week.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC products seem to be polarizing in general. IIRC he had a massive game in college against..Stanford?...and everyone started hyping his draft stock after that but I think he has always just been a good #2 WR.

Footballoutsiders had him as the 39th best WR last year. 2016 they had him as the 18th best WR. I think those drops last year hurt him but I'm not sure that entirely representative of who he'll be over the course of his career. I would take him on the Chiefs as a #2 any day of the week.
I can't imagine what went into putting him 18th.

You guys and wide receivers haven't really went hand in hand for awhile. Lol. I thought Macklin was going to be a great fit too. Goin home and all.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's that low on the depth chart personally.

Unless Hurns is a #2 and Westbrook is the #3.

No Allen Robinson, again, definitely hurt.

Kinda like having Denard Robinson as his starting running back at times in the past.
1-Robinson
2-Hurns
3-Lee
4-Westbrook
5-Cole

Going into the season.

Bortles made do with mostly just his #3 and #5.

Which QBs had it worse than that? None. Maybe Cousins if you consider the drop off from the previous season. But Bortles had no help and didn't even get a Chris Thompson type weapon for half the year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the WR argument would be more buyable for me if Bortles was a rookie last season

He has sucked with all types for years now, good WR corps, bad WR corps

I dont buy that at all
No continuity from year to year. Very hard to develop that way.