• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Found Something Dumber than the Marcus Peters Trade

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This honestly made me lol.

Assuming rookies are better than anyone who has played is more than foolish for a GM. It's why GMs don't do that with QBs, hardly ever.
GMs pick new QBs all of the time.

Bortles has a career YPA of 6.7 over 4 seasons. If you have an elite D then you think maybe you can win with that. There is a flip side to this. Bortles seasons look like this: 6.1, 7.3, 6.2, 7.0.

If that dips down to 6.2 or 6.4 next year then everybody is getting fired. There is too much inconsistency there though there are some indications that some of it is related to the Jaguars and not Bortles.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bortles has a career YPA of 6.7 over 4 seasons. If you have an elite D then you think maybe you can win with that. There is a flip side to this. Bortles seasons look like this: 6.1, 7.3, 6.2, 7.0.

If that dips down to 6.2 or 6.4 next year then everybody is getting fired. There is too much inconsistency there though there are some indications that some of it is related to the Jaguars and not Bortles.

I just hope they have more trust in him now that they gave him that contract. They almost always played not to lose with him at QB and a perfect example of this was the 2nd half of the AFC title game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope they have more trust in him now that they gave him that contract. They almost always played not to lose with him at QB and a perfect example of this was the 2nd half of the AFC title game.
That contract doesn't exactly scream 'we trust you'

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Drafting new players is not assuming they are better than NFL starters. It's just adding depth. Creating a competition for a position. Restocking the cupboard. Building.

It's not assuming an inexpierienced rookie is better than anyone with expierience. You have to shoe horn them into a starting spot for that.

Assuming the rookie will outperform the vet is not common practice with teams who are not rebuilding. And it's common then because the risk is minimal.

Lions handed Staff the job over Culpepper. Didnt win a game The year before, there was nothing to lose. Even if Daunte was the better option in the present, at the time. Which he was.

Buffalo did it with PedermanRealityTour over Tyrod. Nobody knows why, other than they were tanking to late. Houston did it this past season, Cleveland cut Osweiler, Bill OBrien had enough excuses to get an extension.

JVille isn't tanking or rebuilding, staying the course is wise. Not spending a 1st rounder on an offensive skill position would be wise too. They've done too much of that in recent years imo.

Yeldon was a second rounder, but still, too much focus on a handful of positions.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That contract doesn't exactly scream 'we trust you'
That contract says both sides knows he's not all that great, and the divorce is near.

I like it for the Jags as they can easily move on if needed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Jags freed up 9 million in cap space and can get out of the contract as soon as 2019.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, they just kicked it down the road is basically what they did.

IMO they had two options

1. Stay with Bortles
2. Get in the Cousins bidding war.

Personally I think the Cousins option would be better, but at what price would they have thrown in the towell.

By keeping Bortles the can take a project QB in the draft and try to develop him for a season or two.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO they had two options

1. Stay with Bortles

Personally I think the Cousins option would be better, but at what price would they have thrown in the towell.

By keeping Bortles the can take a project QB in the draft and try to develop him for a season or two.
Option 3: start a rookie by any means neccessary seems better to me. Bortles is a very low bar to clear.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Option 3: start a rookie by any means neccessary seems better to me. Bortles is a very low bar to clear.
Cost the Bears the #3, #67,111 plus a third round pick in the following year just to move up one spot. Imagine what it would cost to move from 29 to a top five pick.
You have a strange way of being a tightwad in one regard and a spendthrift on the other .

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO they had two options

1. Stay with Bortles

I wonder if the Jets rumors of 60mil or the full 150mil up front spooked the Jags and that's why they went on to give Bortals an extension.

Ice_nine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will go out on a limb and say this. The guaranteed money Cousins gets doesn't buy additional performance worth what Jax pays Bortles at 26.5 mil guaranteed. Advantage Jax.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-9 next season

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-9 next season
If the Colts come back with Luck and maybe Sas. Barkley, the Texans come back with Watson, JJ Watt and Mercilus and the Titans come back with a real head coach then that might be the most talented division in the NFL.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Colts come back with Luck and maybe Sas. Barkley, the Texans come back with Watson, JJ Watt and Mercilus and the Titans come back with a real head coach then that might be the most talented division in the NFL.

Yup, exactly why I think the Jags made a dumb move here....That division lined up perfectly for them last season, and they still only went 10-6.....I think it was a season in the AFC in its entirety that was worse than we may see for a long time......NFL windows are too small, you have to jump on the opportunity to capitalize on a great roster....I know this is a club friendly deal, but Bortles wouldnt be the QB of my team if I have a SB caliber roster

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, exactly why I think the Jags made a dumb move here....That division lined up perfectly for them last season, and they still only went 10-6.....I think it was a season in the AFC in its entirety that was worse than we may see for a long time......NFL windows are too small, you have to jump on the opportunity to capitalize on a great roster....I know this is a club friendly deal, but Bortles wouldnt be the QB of my team if I have a SB caliber roster
A big part of this is how good the other 3 QBs are going to be. I think its possible that some of the other teams falter but one of those teams in the AFC South is going to put it together with their QB and win 10-12 games next year.

They have to challenge Bortles with someone better than Henne. I feel like the Jaguars are in the same spot that the Jets were in with Mark Sanchez. Super Bowl defense and a threat in the playoffs but not enough QB play to get them to the playoffs on a regular basis.