• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't think any teams are gonna take Bevell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah having the 4th rated offense in the NFL sucks .... :L

thats really amazing when you think about the total crap we had for a oline.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who's gone back-and-forth on whether it'd be good to keep Bevell around or not, it's hard to argue with the results. I think it's also fair to say that the results might not be what they've been if not for Wilson and Lynch's incredible ability to get something positive or neutral out of nothing or less than nothing. At the same time, with a functional offensive line, this offense can be devastating to an opposing defense. It's also fair to say that it's frustrating how often it looks like the offense goes into a game with the gameplan to tread water in the first half, relying on the defense to keep them in the game long enough for Bevell to see what the opposing defense is doing and build a gameplan off of that for the second half. That's a lot to ask of a defense week after week and we've seen it backfire more than a few times over the years. I swear there must be a "Furious Comeback" section in the offensive playbook at this point. It's an offense that can look like absolute crap at times and look like the best offense in the league at other times. I think the offense would have to go completely in the toilet for Carroll to ever consider firing Bevell, so as frustrating as it can be to watch at times, this offense figures to be Bevell's until someone else lures him away.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are not going to fire bevell then the OL has to become a huge priority on the offensive side. Give russell time and he can make weapons put of mediocre guys.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a message board dude.... You say what you want... if you don't like it don't respond... But I see you did, so there ya go...
Oh I see, so you get to say what you want but I have to keep quiet about it. Yeah ok. You don't make the rules here bud.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I see, so you get to say what you want but I have to keep quiet about it. Yeah ok. You don't make the rules here bud.

Who told you to keep quiet ? I said if you don't like it don't respond which is a choice.. You made the choice to respond.... I made the choice to give my opinion.... nuff said...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious but who do folks want to come in and replace Bevell?

Criticizing play calls is a time honored gripe of unhappy fans. And it is largely absurd. It ALWAYS boils down to execution. The play call at the end of Super Bowl 49 is a perfect example of that. If they score a TD EVERYONE is saying how Bevell completely took the Patriots by surprise and it worked perfectly. But they didn't execute so it is the worst play call evah!

IMO, I would much rather keep the same offensive system in place for Wilson.

Of course it boils down to execution .... But you don't have to risk something if you don't have too ... Why run a slant route on 2nd down when your on the half yard line ? It was and will always be the worst play call in Super-Bowl history... Let's not defend it .. If we score there on the slant route pass, sure all us Seattle fans would be happy we won, but it's still a risky dumb AZZ call against a defense that wasn't good at stopping short yardage running that year and "Beast Mode" sitting there in the backfield.... You don't have to FOOL anyone there .. you $%$king pound it down there throats

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I'v
Of course it boils down to execution .... But you don't have to risk something if you don't have too ... Why run a slant route on 2nd down when your on the half yard line ? It was and will always be the worst play call in Super-Bowl history... Let's not defend it .. If we score there on the slant route pass, sure all us Seattle fans would be happy we won, but it's still a risky dumb AZZ call against a defense that wasn't good at stopping short yardage running that year and "Beast Mode" sitting there in the backfield.... You don't have to FOOL anyone there .. you $%$king pound it down there throats

I have no interest in relitigating that play.

The play wasn't as risky as you claim. And people seem to forget the 2013 NFC championship game when Lynch fumbled on the 1 yard line. And they were pretty bad in goal line situations all year.

The problem was that the Patriots actually guessed right and had the right defense and Butler made a GREAT play.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who told you to keep quiet ? I said if you don't like it don't respond which is a choice.. You made the choice to respond.... I made the choice to give my opinion.... nuff said...
And I gave you mine, which I think is a pretty small price to pay for continuing to pollute this place with more Bevell garbage.

Even this conversation, as pointless as it may be, is better than more Bevell talk when there's nothing new to discuss about it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I'v

I have no interest in relitigating that play.

The play wasn't as risky as you claim. And people seem to forget the 2013 NFC championship game when Lynch fumbled on the 1 yard line. And they were pretty bad in goal line situations all year.

The problem was that the Patriots actually guessed right and had the right defense and Butler made a GREAT play.

That was the 49rs defense though... They were BEASTLY upfront and at the linebacker position.... New England was not... We had it, and it hurts.... Also, we shouldn't have put the Pats in a spot to "guess right" there is no guessing when you pound it down there throats with Beast mode...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I gave you mine, which I think is a pretty small price to pay for continuing to pollute this place with more Bevell garbage.

Even this conversation, as pointless as it may be, is better than more Bevell talk when there's nothing new to discuss about it.

Your still talking ... so your still engaged in the conversation.... WHY ? If you don't like it don't respond bro ... You seem to keep making the choice to engage... to me it's not garbage, to you it is... move along...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revisionist history. Despite being the 'beast', Lynch had had trouble on 3rd and 4th and short for a season and a half. Running in clearly running downs was not our forte.

Belichek wasn't letting Lynch score from there. Their jumbo personell were in the game.

Now if you want to argue that a DIFFERENT pass play was better, then argue that. If you wan to argue that Russ should have bootlegged, argue that.

But don't argue that Lynch was going to score automatically. He wasn't.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the 49rs defense though... They were BEASTLY upfront and at the linebacker position.... New England was not... We had it, and it hurts.... Also, we shouldn't have put the Pats in a spot to "guess right" there is no guessing when you pound it down there throats with Beast mode...

They'd already guessed. They sold out to stop the run. There's been endless stuff written about that entire drive. That's what made Butler's play even more amazing. Their D was expecting Lynch to run.

Butler guessed, guessed right, and made the play to back up the guess.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd already guessed. They sold out to stop the run. There's been endless stuff written about that entire drive. That's what made Butler's play even more amazing. Their D was expecting Lynch to run.

If I remember right, someone was supposed to at least get in Butler's way on that play, but they got jammed at the line and didn't get there in time. If they'd been able to disrupt Butler's timing, then guessing right wouldn't have mattered.

Honestly, there are a whole bunch of reasons why the Hawks lost that game. It does us no good to keep harping on that one play. All that ends up happening is an argument about whether it was the play call, the execution or both that caused it to fail. It's an argument that we've had at least a half dozen times already and it's never productive.

Bottom line... if they were gonna let Bevell go for that play, it would have happened a year ago. He doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon and we're gonna have to live with that whether we want to or not.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell's not going anywhere right now, no.

I listened to quite a bit of Brock Huard's show leading up to the Carolina game, and they talked about Bevell's chances of getting hired somewhere as a HC.

While they kinda' beat around the bush about it (they have to interview him in future after all), they pointed out that Daryl has too much of a reserved/offbeat/mad science nerd vibe going on to get hired as a HC. He doesn't come off as that alpha male type. They opined that he might not even get a good college HC job for that reason.

So either he accepts a assistant HC role as a coordinator somewhere, or he finishes up the run with Seattle. What lateral moves are going to be better than coaching by the lake for another decade with Russ?

And just to repeat, I'm A-OK with replacing Bevell if they have an A-list proven commodity to step in. Not many people float many ideas on that front.

Or the ideas they do float are comedic in not a good way. (Sarkisian)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yeah, Brandon Browner was the guy who blew up Kearse, so Kearse didn't get the rub on Butler.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guessing doesn't matter though at the 1 yard line if you pound it down there throat... Let um guess... doesn't matter... Trust me Pats fans were happy with the call ....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right, someone was supposed to at least get in Butler's way on that play, but they got jammed at the line and didn't get there in time. If they'd been able to disrupt Butler's timing, then guessing right wouldn't have mattered.

Honestly, there are a whole bunch of reasons why the Hawks lost that game. It does us no good to keep harping on that one play. All that ends up happening is an argument about whether it was the play call, the execution or both that caused it to fail. It's an argument that we've had at least a half dozen times already and it's never productive.

Bottom line... if they were gonna let Bevell go for that play, it would have happened a year ago. He doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon and we're gonna have to live with that whether we want to or not.

Defense did let us down... I mean we were up 10 with 5 min left in that game... Lot's of things happened to cost us that game... BUT that one play stands out and always will... If they did a vote on the worst play call in Super-Bowl history that will always be the one.... It just will be....

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if we rule out him getting a head coaching job somewhere and he doesn't see a lateral move that looks appealing (like offensive coordinator somewhere in Arizona where he's originally from or offensive coordinator/assistant head coach for more money somewhere), there aren't many ways I can see him not staying on as offensive coordinator here for at least as long as Carroll's still here. If the offense falls off a cliff for an entire season, there are no major injuries to account for it and we start hearing rumblings that the players aren't happy with him, that might be the only realistic thing that convinces the team to let him go. Other than that, I think it comes down to him making the choice, for one reason or another, to move on.

For the sake of argument... if Carroll is still here and Bevell does decide to leave for whatever reason, you then have to think about replacing him. Given Cable's current position as offensive line coach/assistant head coach, his name would likely be at the top of that list of replacements. After that, Carroll would probably turn to position coaches already on-staff and after that, he'd probably look at coaches he has experience working with elsewhere. Who is to say that the person he chooses wouldn't do things a lot like Bevell does? This could turn into a "Be careful what you wish for" scenarios.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell actually made some good adjustments down the stretch (unless that was Carroll stepping in). That said, I'm tired of Bevell's bend don't break offensive attitude. I would LOVE to see a 40-50 yard bomb if it's there when we're up by 10 in the 4th quarter.
Don't blame Bevell cuz he calls the game the way Pete wants it done. Listen to your words. Up 10 in the 4th and you want a high risk bomb cuz it is exciting and pad's the #'s?
I would want a damn near unstoppable run game grinding time off the clock. Being able to run it in that situation when everyone on D is looking to play run D breaks your opponent's will. It demoralizes them.
You should know what it feels like watching a team run it down our throats eating the clock. Damn man, that is Pete football.

Status
Not open for further replies.