• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I demand that Jay Z be banned from the NBA immediately

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I have gotten out of this thread. He even said on the last page that it would be racist for Larry Johnson to say he wanted a league that was all black and he said it would be racist for Jay Z to wear the medallion if he knew what it was representing.

I find it beyond hilarious anyone could believe he didn't know what the medallion represented.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, use the word in private. IMO, using the word acknowledges that it is acceptable, but my guess is that you don't think it's appropriate unless it is being used by someone you approve of. That's my opinion on it. It's one hundred percent unacceptable for me to use the word. I don't want to get into a debate about it, just telling you how I feel.

I think its acceptable for Black people to use it amongst each other. Using it in public gives some the perception that its ok for everyone to use it and to me and most other Blacks I know it definitely is not and could wind up getting someone hurt. However I have longed believed that the onus of respect goes to the person that wants to use the word. In other words unless I tell you its ok to use the word when referring to me then you should not do it. Thats the same reason i dont run around calling white people racial slurs. I haven't been given permission and would feel uncomfortable even if I did get permission. To me someone complaining that cant use the word and somehow saying its unfair smacks of being rude and stupid. I understand how you feel and thats your right. Glad we can agree we have different opinions but are able to actually conduct a conversation.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it beyond hilarious anyone could believe he didn't know what the medallion represented.

I find it hilarious beyond belief that anyone would think a shrewd businessman like Jay-Z would risk alienating his consumer base on purpose.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its acceptable for Black people to use it amongst each other. Using it in public gives some the perception that its ok for everyone to use it and to me and most other Blacks I know it definitely is not and could wind up getting someone hurt. However I have longed believed that the onus of respect goes to the person that wants to use the word. In other words unless I tell you its ok to use the word when referring to me then you should not do it. Thats the same reason i dont run around calling white people racial slurs. I haven't been given permission and would feel uncomfortable even if I did get permission. To me someone complaining that cant use the word and somehow saying its unfair smacks of being rude and stupid. I understand how you feel and thats your right. Glad we can agree we have different opinions but are able to actually conduct a conversation.

wanna fight about it?

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it hilarious beyond belief that anyone would think a shrewd businessman like Jay-Z would risk alienating his consumer base on purpose.

Who exactly would he be alienating? Do you really think the people who buy his music care?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who exactly would he be alienating? Do you really think the people who buy his music care?

I would think so since most of the people that buy rap are white kids.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/meet-the-king-of-rap/

Rap isn't just about the mean streets, anymore. The message is more about the bottom line than the racial line and the audience is overwhemingly white. Rap has now surpassed country music as the nation's second-most popular genre after rock and roll.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured you would punk out. :laugh3:

ya, lets meet up... u r in Cali I am in Oregon. :L

you are so rustled you can't sense sarcasm?

but next time you are in Portland I aint hard to find if you want to have a beer and discuss things further.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think so since most of the people that buy rap are white kids.

Exactly, white kids who don't care what he's wearing they just wanna hear the music, they probably think it's cool.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but next time you are in Portland I aint hard to find if you want to have a beer and discuss things further.

I just asked if you wanted to meet for coffee. Were you actually threatening me?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want to use the word, and I don't see anyone complaining about wanting to use the N word. I don't think someone needs to be given permission to use a word around others. Your language around others is likely based on the language they use. If you are around your boss you probably won't be the first one to start cussing, you're going to wait for him to use words to determine what is and is not considered appropriate. He's not going to give you permission to say the F word.

For what it's worth, the reason I am against it is because the use of it in everyday language desensitizes its true meaning.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, white kids who don't care what he's wearing they just wanna hear the music, they probably think it's cool.

Why would you think its cool to be considered a devil? What is being taught to these kids that they would be that clueless?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just asked if you wanted to meet for coffee. Were you actually threatening me?

did you read where I said you have trouble with sarcasm?

Quit trying to act intelligent kid. It doesn't suit you.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1357607358932600.jpg

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to use the word, and I don't see anyone complaining about wanting to use the N word. I don't think someone needs to be given permission to use a word around others. Your language around others is likely based on the language they use. If you are around your boss you probably won't be the first one to start cussing, you're going to wait for him to use words to determine what is and is not considered appropriate. He's not going to give you permission to say the F word.

For what it's worth, the reason I am against it is because the use of it in everyday language desensitizes its true meaning.

I wasn't accusing you of that. I was addressing the double standard argument I hear regarding the issue.

What is its true meaning to you as opposed to a Black person and are we even discussing the same word? This is where most people get lost. There are 2 different words with entirely different meanings depending on context and who is using them.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True statement...1st time I met Mamba in downtown Portland at a pub he put me in a vice of a headlock and asked me, "Amber ale or a lager?" and promptly shoved a pastrami Reuben down my throat...very nice young fellow I thought.
:yahoo: