• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I am so tired of this Defense

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same stuff, week after week, year after year. It's obvious they aren't on the same page in the defensive backfield. Time after time there is somebody running wide open because someone didn't do their job and decided to help somebody else or 2 guys go with the same or whatever. I don't care at this point if it's scheme or the fucking players. If it's the players, then let them fucking sink on their own and replace them next year, at least you'll know what you have. and if they aren't smart enough to get the communication down, then the coach needs to change it.

and if it's the coach being to predictable in his calling, and I feel this is a part of it since I don't think any team can give up more 3rd and longs as easily as GB has this year, or last year, or the year before. and sometimes I wonder if they even realize the middle of the field is fair game for the offense as it always seems to be wide fucking open.

anyway, that and we still need an NFL caliber Oline. Any line with Newhouse on it, is in rough shape. If they don't draft enough guys to replace him next year, we know were in bad shape again. Starter or not, he's little more than a body out there.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking up the stats I have a really hard time imagining there's a worse 3rd down defense in the league. To consistently see receivers running free through this secondary is so painful to watch. Week in and week out it's the same issues, the secondary isn't covering anyone and there's no pass rush getting home to cover up for it.

It's amazing to me that it's constantly the same issues. Either the coaches do a piss poor job of communicating what needs to happen, or the DB's have no idea of what the hell they're doing out there. IF it's a big 3rd down I just get a bad feeling in my stomach, and they won't be getting off the field.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking up the stats I have a really hard time imagining there's a worse 3rd down defense in the league. To consistently see receivers running free through this secondary is so painful to watch. Week in and week out it's the same issues, the secondary isn't covering anyone and there's no pass rush getting home to cover up for it.

It's amazing to me that it's constantly the same issues. Either the coaches do a piss poor job of communicating what needs to happen, or the DB's have no idea of what the hell they're doing out there. IF it's a big 3rd down I just get a bad feeling in my stomach, and they won't be getting off the field.

Curious what game you were watching yesterday.

Giants were 4 for 14 on 3rd downs yesterday, that is 28% and would have Giants at 31st in league in converting just above Jaguars.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious what game you were watching yesterday.

Giants were 4 for 14 on 3rd downs yesterday, that is 28% and would have Giants at 31st in league in converting just above Jaguars.

And the Giants we're also 2 for 2 on 4th down. Let's also not forget the 12 men on the field penalty that extended a Giants drive.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Giants we're also 2 for 2 on 4th down. Let's also not forget the 12 men on the field penalty that extended a Giants drive.

Penalty is one of the 4 conversions. Your original complaint was>

I have a really hard time imagining there's a worse 3rd down defense in the league.

Again... 4/12 is very good 3rd down conversion defense.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't really care how they do on 3rd down, i do, but for the sake of argument, did this defense give you the impression they could get off the field when they needed to over the past few weeks? and historically, if it's 3rd and 15, they're giving up 20. It seems automatic that the middle of the field will be wide open 15-25 yards downfield.

So they didn't let the giants convert that many 3rd downs, but after watching them for the past few seasons, I think it would be hard not come away with the impression, that this defense has trouble getting off the field when it counts.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they didn't let the giants convert that many 3rd downs, but after watching them for the past few seasons, I think it would be hard not come away with the impression, that this defense has trouble getting off the field when it counts.

To your overall point... I believe the defense is under performing last 3 games. But I think they did better in Giants game considering Shields, Hayward and Perry out.

Will point out, when it really counted the defense got off the field in early 4th quarter sacking Eli twice and forcing punt from inside 10 yard line. Packers should have gotten ball in great field position.

Unfortunately it was 50+ yard punt and House had stupid penalty to move Packers all the way back to 30 yard line and on first play Tolzein throws a pick 6.

Mistakes at all levels are killing Packers and there is little room for error right now.

blackboard83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It couldn't be the players. Gotta be the coach. :rolleyes:

Yes, very correct. On the ESPN board last year, I wanted the Packers to hired a new D coach. Where do I start....
The famous 3 man rush that hasn't worked for years yet Capers keep calling it. He simply can't adjust, more set in his ways.

coulomb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the D vs the vikings in OT yesterday was just sad. Toby Gerhart looked like barry sanders vs us.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday it seemed like the defense was getting gashed on some pretty basic run plays up the middle, whether it's going in with a weak arm tackle or just not getting hands on the back. Stopping the run is about effort and wanting it. As a defense they're fairly lucky the game ended in a tie, because after we got the field goal, the following drive they were just running down hill at our defense, I thought for sure the Vikings were going to answer with a touchdown.

The pass rush was much better. But, still this is an incredibly inconsistent defense.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out who to be pissed at :) At times, they can play very well. Other times it seems like they're miscommunicating, other times guys are flying around out of control. Hawk, who I like and has been having a great year seemed so high on effort at times, he wasn't able to break down and make a decent tackle attempt. Other times he lost leverage and was simply ran over by runners or blockers.

Lots of guys up front on D were getting run over at times yesterday, it was sad really. I know they aren't that bad because they have shown they are capable of rising up and playing well. Maybe I give them too much credit, but to me they just seem horribly inconsistent and it's why we get 1 or 2 good defensive plays then blow the next which always seems to give them a first down.

After we went ahead I think we only put them in a 3rd down one freakin time that whole drive down the field. That's horrible.

But thankfully the Vikings coaches are dumber than shit. Why that have Ponder do anything other than hand the ball off is beyond me. he even fucked that up a couple times yesterday, turning the wrong way, stumbling, fumbling, etc. Putting him back to pass actually allowed us to sack him a couple times.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But thankfully the Vikings coaches are dumber than shit. Why that have Ponder do anything other than hand the ball off is beyond me. he even fucked that up a couple times yesterday, turning the wrong way, stumbling, fumbling, etc. Putting him back to pass actually allowed us to sack him a couple times.

Yeah... fortunate after Gerhart gashed us in OT they decided to try a few pass attempts. I think they could have finished the job with a few more runs of his or AP.

Something will change with this defense if does not improve significantly.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been saying this for 3 years now

Here is quote from MM after the Vikings game....

“We went through every call,” McCarthy said after watching the game tape with Capers and the defensive staff. “It's a very talented, organized defensive staff. I really like the teaching ability, the demand and their personality. … I'm very comfortable in our coaching staff. I think it's definitely one of the strengths of our program.”

.... maybe there will not be much of a change with defensive coaches after this season even if this continues.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that needs to stop being discussed among fans is switching to a 4-3. That is not happening. MM is a 3-4 guy. Its his scheme of choice and thats not changing. Never mind the overhaul of personal that would have to take place, he won't change his beliefs scheme wise.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect MM to back his coaches because it's not smart to throw them under the bus mid season but something HAS to change. When playing the Vikings you have one guy to focus on and they let that one guy run rampant for 146 yards and they also made Gerhart look like an all star when we needed a stop the most. When you can't get your players to respond to your coaching it's time to find someone that can. This team has been one of the worst at tackling for a while even though that has supposedly been a focus lately. It's gotten worse. The defensive play calling has been a joke with the open zones all over the field and the 3 man rush on 3rd and 4th and long makes me sick.