• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hugh Millen: "Michael missed many holes Lynch would have hit"

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has their own opinion of Millen. some think he is a knowledged, informed, and objective analyst. Some think he is a talking head blown hard who is full of shit. I'm in the first group.

On Mitch's morning show on KJR this morning, Millen was saying the Christine Michael had a horrible game yesterday, despite the 70 yards rushing in zero degree weather. He said that Seattle O-line was opening up gaping holes for Michael the entire game and he missed most of them.

So now we get to endure another week of hide-n-seek with Marshawn Lynch. Many of you have voiced your displeasure with his bullshit this year, with the sudden unavailability yesterday being the 'last straw'. I get your frustration. But, if Millen is correct, and I think he is (considering the way Thomas Rawls was blowing through Minnesota's DL) then, bullshit antics or not, we need Marshawn Lynch ready to go this weekend.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has their own opinion of Millen. some think he is a knowledged, informed, and objective analyst. Some think he is a talking head blown hard who is full of shit. I'm in the first group.

On Mitch's morning show on KJR this morning, Millen was saying the Christine Michael had a horrible game yesterday, despite the 70 yards rushing in zero degree weather. He said that Seattle O-line was opening up gaping holes for Michael the entire game and he missed most of them.

So now we get to endure another week of hide-n-seek with Marshawn Lynch. Many of you have voiced your displeasure with his bullshit this year, with the sudden unavailability yesterday being the 'last straw'. I get your frustration. But, if Millen is correct, and I think he is (considering the way Thomas Rawls was blowing through Minnesota's DL) then, bullshit antics or not, we need Marshawn Lynch ready to go this weekend.

I understand people's desire to see the entire game, but there is no way to say that Lynch would have found the holes that he claims that Michael was missing. Earlier in the year, Lynch himself was missing plenty of holes and left many big plays on the table by running into blockers and tacklers alike while gaping holes were just a step away.

Also, there's no telling how much the inclement weather affected Michael. Could he have seen the holes and just wasn't physically able to change direction in the cold. We've seen Michael use cutback lanes and quick cuts to generate yards, yet I cannot recall him making a sudden change of direction all game. Just as in the inclement weather thread stated that Russell Wilson is hampered with his mobility in this kind of weather, I wouldn't doubt so are the running backs.

Were there holes that were missed? Probably. Would Lynch have done better at getting to those holes? I don't know. Did Michael have a horrible game? Not at all.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand people's desire to see the entire game, but there is no way to say that Lynch would have found the holes that he claims that Michael was missing. Earlier in the year, Lynch himself was missing plenty of holes and left many big plays on the table by running into blockers and tacklers alike while gaping holes were just a step away.

Also, there's no telling how much the inclement weather affected Michael. Could he have seen the holes and just wasn't physically able to change direction in the cold. We've seen Michael use cutback lanes and quick cuts to generate yards, yet I cannot recall him making a sudden change of direction all game. Just as in the inclement weather thread stated that Russell Wilson is hampered with his mobility in this kind of weather, I wouldn't doubt so are the running backs.

Were there holes that were missed? Probably. Would Lynch have done better at getting to those holes? I don't know. Did Michael have a horrible game? Not at all.

We let Michael's go for a reason though, we only brought him back because of our situations with Rawls and Lynch.... Other teams dumping him kind a speaks a bit about what coaches think of him... There is no doubt a healthy Lynch would a given us a better threat.. we've seen what Lynch can do in the post season ... I'm ok with Michael's because he at least gives us some good athleticism ... But getting Lynch back right now would be a big leap for us in our running game...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We let Michael's go for a reason though, we only brought him back because of our situations with Rawls and Lynch.... Other teams dumping him kind a speaks a bit about what coaches think of him... There is no doubt a healthy Lynch would a given us a better threat.. we've seen what Lynch can do in the post season ... I'm ok with Michael's because he at least gives us some good athleticism ... But getting Lynch back right now would be a big leap for us in our running game...

Oh, I'm not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that Michael didn't have a bad game yesterday, and we don't know what Lynch would've brought to the table.

I am not blindly supporting Michael. I hated the pick, and I never understood the hype the fans here had for him. That said, I am recognizing his success now.

Russell was off yesterday. His mid passes were so high that even the defenders couldn't get to them, and his deep ball had no distance to it, and he missed his target on nearly all his throws. The 2 best plays the Hawks had were high passes (the Lockett and Baldwin catches). Michael still stepped up an had a decent game.

Michael had a good game, and he did his job. When we needed him most, when we were trying to milk some time off the clock, he carried the ball 4 times for 14 yards and gave us a 3rd and 1 and a 3rd and 5. We convert that 3rd and 1, and there's a good chance we're not talking about a missed field goal (Wilson severely overthrew Coffman).

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that Michael didn't have a bad game yesterday, and we don't know what Lynch would've brought to the table.

I am not blindly supporting Michael. I hated the pick, and I never understood the hype the fans here had for him. That said, I am recognizing his success now.

Russell was off yesterday. His mid passes were so high that even the defenders couldn't get to them, and his deep ball had no distance to it, and he missed his target on nearly all his throws. The 2 best plays the Hawks had were high passes (the Lockett and Baldwin catches). Michael still stepped up an had a decent game.

Michael had a good game, and he did his job. When we needed him most, when we were trying to milk some time off the clock, he carried the ball 4 times for 14 yards and gave us a 3rd and 1 and a 3rd and 5. We convert that 3rd and 1, and there's a good chance we're not talking about a missed field goal (Wilson severely overthrew Coffman).

Yeah I thought he did decent as well ... most importantly he's protecting the ball well ... I"m ok having him under our circumstance for sure..... DAM I wish we had a healthy Rawls and Lynch though, that combo woulda been dam near un-stoppable....

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust Hugh Millen's opinions but let's also consider that Marshawn got all the reps in practice during the week and Christine Michael was inserted in there last minute.

Maybe that affected his play. Maybe with a full week of practice he'll hit the holes better?

If Marshawn is truly able to go then let's get him ready. But if we go through the whole he's going to play then he's not last minute again I'd rather not.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that needs to be considered is how much freedom Michael is given as far as improvising behind the LOS. Is he directed to just run hard to where the hole is designed to be and hold on to the ball? Or is he given freedom to dance around and find another hole if the designed hole isn't there? Considering the conditions, his lack of 1st team reps last week and his history of putting the ball on the ground, the former seems much more likely. Michael had a good game, one turnover by him and they probably don't win.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust Hugh Millen's opinions but let's also consider that Marshawn got all the reps in practice during the week and Christine Michael was inserted in there last minute.

Maybe that affected his play. Maybe with a full week of practice he'll hit the holes better?

If Marshawn is truly able to go then let's get him ready. But if we go through the whole he's going to play then he's not last minute again I'd rather not.

That and the inexperience of Christine....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course CM isn't no Lynch, but he is what the Seahawks had to work and may be for the next game. Maybe for the whole playoffs. We all knew Lynch couldn't go forever, if the Seahawks are lucky maybe Lynch still has more to give. However going forward best to assume that's not the case and plan accordingly. No need be angry at Lynch if he's done, nobody beats Father Time .
I think CM can do better then he did last game. That game was a clunker all the way around on offense.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CM is the hand we are dealt and I think he has played great for us considering what has transpired the last 3 months of his NFL career.
Just a heads up. We face Carolina who has a stout defense. In case CM has a marginal game for us look at Marshawn's #'s in the past 5 Carolina games with arguably a better OL.
2015 17-54 3.2 1TD
2014 playoff game 14-59 4.2 0TD
2014 14-62 4.4 0TD
2013 17-43 2.5 0TD
2012 21-85 4.0 0TD

Total 83-303 3.7 1TD
Not great #'s due solely to the Panther D. So if CM motors along at 3.5 yards a clip, those would not be sorry numbers.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that needs to be considered is how much freedom Michael is given as far as improvising behind the LOS. Is he directed to just run hard to where the hole is designed to be and hold on to the ball? Or is he given freedom to dance around and find another hole if the designed hole isn't there? Considering the conditions, his lack of 1st team reps last week and his history of putting the ball on the ground, the former seems much more likely. Michael had a good game, one turnover by him and they probably don't win.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think Michael is on a very short leash. I'm sure the coaching staff told him to run his routes and by all means, don't improvise. There's a line I remember from Bull Duram.......

Don't think, meat.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmmm....interesting take by Millen.

I thought Michael had a solid game, especially since he probably finished the week of practice thinking he was going to be backing up Lynch in the game.

I'm very cautious with the word 'need'. We *need* Lynch read to go this weekend. I'm not so sure. To me, what that means is we cannot win without him. I'm not so sure. The O was rolling at a high level for almsot the entire 2nd half of the season and he didn't play a lick. If we go into Carolina with the team that beat the Ravens, Vikings and Cards on the road by a combined 90 points, that's not going to get it done?

I would like to see Lynch back this game, but all is not lost if he isn't.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought Michael had a solid game, especially since he probably finished the week of practice thinking he was going to be backing up Lynch in the game.

I'm very cautious with the word 'need'. We *need* Lynch read to go this weekend. I'm not so sure. To me, what that means is we cannot win without him. I'm not so sure. The O was rolling at a high level for almsot the entire 2nd half of the season and he didn't play a lick. If we go into Carolina with the team that beat the Ravens, Vikings and Cards on the road by a combined 90 points, that's not going to get it done?

Agreed with CM having a solid game. Those conditions were about as difficult as it gets and add in the factor he had limited reps, he did very well. I would love to have Lynch ready for the Carolina game, but if he can't go then i'm just as fine with CM who's proved to be a different player, a much more focused player since he's come back. I like our chances in Carolina.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did have a solid game. 20 touches and nothing remotely close to a fumble, along with 70 yards in sub-zero degree weather. For a back up RB, you can't complain about that.

And, no, we don't 'need' Lynch....maybe. But if he is healthy and confident that he can be an upgrade, then our chance of winning with him in the backfield versus CM, increase dramatically.

Someone pointed out that Lynch hasn't been all that successful against Carolina. That's also true. But CM hasn't played against them so we have no real point of comparison. What we do have is a comparison between his and Lynch's performance against St Louis. Lynch averaged 3.9 ypc in his last five games against St Louis. CM, in his one start against St Louis, carried 6 times for 6 yards. A comparison between his and Lynch's performance against Arizona would be less accurate. CM faced a Cardinals team that was lethargic, uninspired, and already looking ahead to the post season.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with CM having a solid game. Those conditions were about as difficult as it gets and add in the factor he had limited reps, he did very well. I would love to have Lynch ready for the Carolina game, but if he can't go then i'm just as fine with CM who's proved to be a different player, a much more focused player since he's come back. I like our chances in Carolina.

What I don't like about this weekend's game is the media and bookies jumping on the Seahawk's bandwagon. I think the team performs better when no one sees them coming.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't like about this weekend's game is the media and bookies jumping on the Seahawk's bandwagon. I think the team performs better when no one sees them coming.

I'm not too worried, Seattle's been at the center of attention for the last 3 to 4 yrs and have done very well. Players do listen to what the media says but i'll say for the most part I don't think it really affects them.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listen to a lot of KJR and as with most talking heads I take what Millen has to say with a grain of salt. He does study and break down play by play and his vision is fairly solid, but projecting what Lynch would have done in that game on that day after that much time off in those conditions is just pure speculation.

That doesn't mean Lynch couldn't have done better, it just means we cannot know.

He does have a complex grading system for backs. It's not just did you get positive yards or negative/zero. Hitting the right hole and making the right move matters. It's possible to get 5y and still not grade out high. And every back misses better moves. They are making split second decisions from inside a mass of people. They don't have the benefit of the all 22 and slow motion.

I would take Lynch back this week in a heartbeat. There is no doubt he's got the experience to trust him in critical game situations. He's also got a lot more in terms of pass game blocking, picking up blitzes, and releasing into another target for Wilson to dump to. He brings you a much more versatile and dynamic player on the field.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play that stood out to me from Michael was when he broke a run outside and got thrown down easily by a corner or safety. Pretty sure that doesnt happen with Lynch or even Rawls. Regardless you can see he has explosion but still isnt quite there.

Regarding Lynch Im pretty much operating under the assumption that he isnt coming back. If he does happen to be able to contribute at some point, great. Not counting on it though