• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which RB in the 1st-2nd Round (if any)?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have a major hole at RB. Rawls is with NY Jets, Prosise is a 3rd down/utility back and can't stay on the field, and Mike Davis... meh?

Safe to say, I have to think Seattle is hunting for a RB early on this year. We whiffed on Christine Michael but he was still taken with a late 2nd and quite a few mocks had him in the 3rd frame. Lynch despite getting traded was a 1st round pick with a ton of physical talent, it was more about his attitude clashing with Buffalo that forced the trade.

So who do you like? Of the earlier projected picks (outside of Barkley which we can forget) there is:

Derrius Guice
Sony Michel
Nick Chubb
Kerryon Johnson
Ronald Jones II
Rashaad Penny

Now Guice is obviously a great pick in that he's built a lot like Lynch and is a power runner but so is Michel, Chubb, and Penny. The good thing about Guice is he's a Junior, and has about 150 carries less compared to some of these other guys.

Despite them being 2nd round prospects, I'm not huge on Johnson/Jones. They are more shifty runners and lack the power frame the other candidates do.

I personally would be happy trading back some and nabbing Guice with a late 1st rounder or moving back into the early 2nd and nabbing Michel. My fear trading too far back is there could be a huge run on RBs in the early 2nd or teams trading into the late 1st to nab Guice/Jones/Michel. The Browns are almost a lock to take Barkley but meanwhile the Colts, Bucs, and Giants all have RB needs, and if the Giants take a QB they'll probably want a RB to help him in 2019.

I feel Chubb/Penny are going to be later 2nd, possibly 3rd round prospects given RB demand and we just need some flat out raw talent at the position. Michael was talented to a degree but he fumbled too often and was a complete moron when it came to the playbook and blocking.

My dream scenario? Trade back to the mid-late 20s and pick up a 3rd/5th and just take Guice. We need someone talented and I don't think he's gonna be around in the mid 2nd, not with the # of teams looking to grab RBs.

We're really in a shitty situation after the Richardson trade... would've been nice to have a 2nd.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we just writing off Chris Carson? I am not saying he's the next Franco Harris or anything, but no mention of him at all makes a RB discussion a bit incomplete.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we just writing off Chris Carson? I am not saying he's the next Franco Harris or anything, but no mention of him at all makes a RB discussion a bit incomplete.

Yes, the discussion is incomplete. Carson is healthy and should be our starting running back if no one else is added to the roster. I can't see them not adding someone - since there are only 4 TBs on the roster right now. I expect it in the draft. A safe assumption, as the Hawks have taken 8 RBs since 2012, with only 2015 being without at least 1. That doesn't even count McKissic, Rawls and Coleman as UDFAs, among others who didn't even make the team.

With Carson coming off an injury that limited to 4 games, I can't see any reason the Hawks wouldn't go into the draft with RB as one of their top targets. After Rawls' 2015 injury, a season which he was much more successful than Carson's 2017 season, Seattle invested 3 picks into the running back position in 2016. Though I don't see 3, I can see them going after a RB in the 2nd or 3rd (assuming trade back) and then another in between the fifth and seventh.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely forgot about Carson... d'oh!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the discussion is incomplete. Carson is healthy and should be our starting running back if no one else is added to the roster. I can't see them not adding someone - since there are only 4 TBs on the roster right now. I expect it in the draft. A safe assumption, as the Hawks have taken 8 RBs since 2012, with only 2015 being without at least 1. That doesn't even count McKissic, Rawls and Coleman as UDFAs, among others who didn't even make the team.

With Carson coming off an injury that limited to 4 games, I can't see any reason the Hawks wouldn't go into the draft with RB as one of their top targets. After Rawls' 2015 injury, a season which he was much more successful than Carson's 2017 season, Seattle invested 3 picks into the running back position in 2016. Though I don't see 3, I can see them going after a RB in the 2nd or 3rd (assuming trade back) and then another in between the fifth and seventh.
That's fair. I agree there's a high likelihood a new face will be added to the RB group in draft, maybe even with a fairly high pick. Even if that happens, I think Chris Carson will be a factor at RB and still has a shot to be the starter...I have to think it's either him or someone who isnt yet on the team.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id look for a burner later

Use the 1st and 2nd( if we get 1) on either OL or Retool on Defense

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id look for a burner later

Use the 1st and 2nd( if we get 1) on either OL or Retool on Defense

I'm not sure OLine is gonna be a big target in this draft - at least early. Brown, Pocic, Britt and Fluker are pretty much locking up 4 spots. Leaving just Ifedi and Fant to fight for that last spot. If Fant comes back playing the way he was when he went down last year, our line may actually look to be improved over the last 2 or 3 years. Maybe they can look for depth, but when you only carry 8-9 linemen and 7 seem to already be installed it's hard to think that someone at 18 will be looking like a shoe in as a day one starter in this draft.

I'm not saying that the OLine shouldn't be a concern, just that Pete tends to worry less about the OLine than the fans do. I could be wrong, and when it comes to the Seahawks drafts, I've been wrong a lot over the years.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure OLine is gonna be a big target in this draft - at least early. Brown, Pocic, Britt and Fluker are pretty much locking up 4 spots. Leaving just Ifedi and Fant to fight for that last spot. If Fant comes back playing the way he was when he went down last year, our line may actually look to be improved over the last 2 or 3 years. Maybe they can look for depth, but when you only carry 8-9 linemen and 7 seem to already be installed it's hard to think that someone at 18 will be looking like a shoe in as a day one starter in this draft.

I'm not saying that the OLine shouldn't be a concern, just that Pete tends to worry less about the OLine than the fans do. I could be wrong, and when it comes to the Seahawks drafts, I've been wrong a lot over the years.

I agree with this... Brown improved Seattle's line vastly last year and Seattle suffered quite a bit of injury... In addition, we got Ed Dickson who is a top 5 blocking tight end as opposed to Jimmy Graham who was one of the worst blocking TEs in the game last year (PFF). I still have zero clue why the fuck we traded an all pro center and a 1st rounder away for Graham and then tried to teach him to block... What a stupid FO move.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure a RB or two will be taken by the Hawks at some point in the draft, but I don't think it'll be that early. They are going in the right direction with their decisions to let Rawls and Graham walk and sign a run blocking tight end and they can't rely entirely on Davis, Carson and Prosise to stay healthy and have breakout years at the same time, so they're going to need competition. I just don't know if it necessarily needs to be early round competition. Half the battle will be getting the blocking figured out and they've taken steps since the Brown trade to do that. League history is filled with examples that if you have your blocking figured out, you don't need a first or second round running back to have a successful running game. If Solari does his job well, the Hawks won't need one to have a successful running game either. I wouldn't be surprised if a FB ends up on the list of UDFA or as a late round pick either.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we want to role into the season with Chris Carter as our starter? What has he proven/done to make him our starting RB? Just curious...

I personally would be ecstatic if we could land Rashaad Penny in the 3rd round... I believe he's going to be a very solid RB in the NFL, especially in a system like ours... He would be a great value pick here...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we want to role into the season with Chris Carter as our starter? What has he proven/done to make him our starting RB? Just curious...
Chris Carson?

Anyway, I don't think the question is what we "want" as much as it is about what we are expecting to see. Carson was the starter last year, and that was even after signing a $5M free agent RB. Given that, what's the stiffer competition going to be for him this time around? Unless we make somewhat of a surprise move in the early going of the draft and take a RB, I think Carson is the odds-on fave to be the starter. If it isn't him, who? I don't think anyone else currently on the roster has much of a chance to unseat him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Carson?

Anyway, I don't think the question is what we "want" as much as it is about what we are expecting to see. Carson was the starter last year, and that was even after signing a $5M free agent RB. Given that, what's the stiffer competition going to be for him this time around? Unless we make somewhat of a surprise move in the early going of the draft and take a RB, I think Carson is the odds-on fave to be the starter. If it isn't him, who? I don't think anyone else currently on the roster has much of a chance to unseat him.

I know you have a man crush on Carson but I think we will 2nd guess ourselves if we went into the season w/ him as our main starter with out anyone else to really push him for the starting role...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you have a man crush on Carson but I think we will 2nd guess ourselves if we went into the season w/ him as our main starter with out anyone else to really push him for the starting role...

Think Carson is the best RB on the roster, but I do believe the Seahawks draft a RB. The thing is that don’t know which round they are willing to do that in. I like Penny a lot, but he’ll go to high in the draft IMO.

Nick Chubb
Penny
Royce Freeman

Would love any of these three in the order I have them, but doesn’t seem likely given all the other needs and lack of picks.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a thing for Carson. I'm just looking at who we have and not seeing much else that's better at the moment. Where is it? We also don't have much right now in the way of draft resources to do much about it, unless you think we are spending #18 on a RB. I wouldn't expect us to keep that pick, but right now that's all we have for the first 3 rounds. I think we probably will end up drafting someone, but that player is not coming into camp as the named starter.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction is that we draft a running back, and then sign one from the bargain bin after the draft is over. There will be competition no question, that goes to the heart of Pete's locker room philosophy so assuming otherwise would be foolish. That being said, Chris Carson will get every opportunity to retain the starting role heading into camp. My guess is that if he shows the same flash as last year, with an upgraded line, he's our game one workhorse. I'm good with that.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anyone expects Carson to be handed the job. We all know he'll have competition for it and we all know there's at least a decent chance that someone else will beat him out, assuming he's 100% healthy to begin with. I don't think he necessarily has the advantage having been on the team last year either given that he got hurt and wasn't on the field that much and that we're going into this season with a new coaching staff on offense and the re-commitment to the running game that has been promised. The Seahawks team he played for last year used a pass-heavy offense out of necessity, especially after he got hurt. Maybe if he'd been healthy all year, that necessity wouldn't have been there and he'd be more prepared to win the job this season, but he's essentially going into this season as a rookie again, despite the minimal playing time he got last year.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not putting all my faith into the running game for a back that came off of surgery last season. The same thing happened with Rawls he got hurt and people were like "When he comes back he will replace Lynch and he runs so hard" blah blah blah I want some new faces at the running back position and some competition brought to the team god damn it. I dont think anyones job is safe outside of Wilson, Baldwin, ET, and Wagner I definitely want to see competition brought to this team like we did back when Pete and John took over which seems is what they are doing

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Hawks need a RB that isn't injury prone, not saying Carson is but you can't tell. He was rolled up on pretty hard core. We thought Rawls Injury was just a fluke also, then look what happened. He couldn't stay on the field. Thing is good RB tend to avoid these types of injuries because they have the skill to do so. Hawks will bring 2 or more RB in this offseason i have no doubts ( UDFA most likely )and maybe 1 or 2 from late round picks.

So really instead of saying well here is a list of 5-8 RB that will be drafted make a list of 5-8 RB that won't be drafted that could make some noise because there is a good chance 1 or more of those guys will be picked up by the hawks.

Hawks need some talent at WR once again though after losing another guy. Darboh is a joke which is to bad because when he was drafted i liked him but as soon as i saw him in preseason yeah i no longer cared for his "Lack luster" talent. He just was more athletic than most DB's in college now better. Everyone in the NFL is athletic so he has ZERO advantage. Hope i am wrong but his numbers in his rookie season were down right awful for someone that played as much as he did.

Guess i should have paid more attention to his weaknesses
WEAKNESSES
Build-up runner who is slow to eat up cornerback cushion. Play speed appears (IS) to be average. Missing suddenness and twitch. Inconsistent release quickness against press. Could (DID) struggle to uncover against aggressive man coverage. Gradual sink into breaks alerts cornerbacks to slam on breaks and challenge the throw. Body catcher. Ball will beat him up and he suffers from focus drops. Needs to improve positioning against defensive backs. Rarely escapes a spirited tackle attempt. Not very dynamic after the catch

Last edited: