• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Howie Roseman say's "hello"!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Lane-Johnson-Eagles-contract-restructure-129740458/

I'll give you the cliff note version for all you cap experts :

Eagles are now $20 Million North of the cap!

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Lane-Johnson-Eagles-contract-restructure-129740458/

Trying to build that Dream Team part 2: The quest for mediocrity

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Projected to be north of ....

Graham's salary cap number is typically low in the first season because of how Howie Roseman structures the contracts, with a huge cap hit on the back end.

So he pushes cap hits down the road, brilliant! Why hasn't any other GM ever thought of this ....oh wait....Jerry Jones says hello. :dhd:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Graham's salary cap number is typically low in the first season because of how Howie Roseman structures the contracts, with a huge cap hit on the back end.

So he pushes cap hits down the road, brilliant! Why hasn't any other GM ever thought of this ....oh wait....Jerry Jones says hello. :dhd:

Yes but the difference from Howie and Jerry , Howie actually has the players and coaches in place to make a run, as where Jerry didn't still doesn't and most likely will never have until he removes himself from the overall decision making!

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to build that Dream Team part 2: The quest for mediocrity
134182479.0.jpg

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry McNabb I don't follow AAF football

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
, Howie actually has the players and coaches in place to make a run

Remains to be seen. Last year the Eagles didn't even come in first in the division and thus far I don't see any move that makes them better. Lost their SuperBowl QB and I'm inclined to think more players loses are looming. Might not make the playoffs this year. :rolleyes:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remains to be seen. Last year the Eagles didn't even come in first in the division and thus far I don't see any move that makes them better. Lost their SuperBowl QB and I'm inclined to think more players loses are looming. Might not make the playoffs this year. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny.....it is a brilliant philosophy that a lot of teams know about. Some teams are good at it and some teams just absolutely suck at it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So flash back almost a year to when I (and I'm sure others) said the Eagles will start restructuring guys to get under the cap and thus start kicking the can down the road because they just had to have guys like Ngata, Bennett (looking to deal), Ajayi (FA and was hurt), etc and that they should just saved that money in 2018 to roll into 2019. All you need is a list of contracts and a calculator and you can get any team under the cap for the current year, just don't look at what you've done to outer years to do it.

Restructuring is step one to cap Hell. All it does is take money from this year and move it into future years. You end up with the dilemma of guys with huge amounts of dead money that you can't afford to cut and you also can't afford their cap hit so you can't sign anyone and you have to cut other guys. Now doing this with one or two guys is just business in the NFL, but I can tell you as a fan who saw his team go through this, it's not a good thing by Howie to be doing this it's like borrowing against a HELOC to pay your cable bill. If you lose Jernigan it's because of your Cap issue not because you want to and back loading Graham's contract is going to be an issue also. And if You want to keep Wentz you better be way under the cap when it comes time. These moves will make that harder.:2cents:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So flash back almost a year to when I (and I'm sure others) said the Eagles will start restructuring guys to get under the cap and thus start kicking the can down the road because they just had to have guys like Ngata, Bennett (looking to deal), Ajayi (FA and was hurt), etc and that they should just saved that money in 2018 to roll into 2019. All you need is a list of contracts and a calculator and you can get any team under the cap for the current year, just don't look at what you've done to outer years to do it.

Restructuring is step one to cap Hell. All it does is take money from this year and move it into future years. You end up with the dilemma of guys with huge amounts of dead money that you can't afford to cut and you also can't afford their cap hit so you can't sign anyone and you have to cut other guys. Now doing this with one or two guys is just business in the NFL, but I can tell you as a fan who saw his team go through this, it's not a good thing by Howie to be doing this it's like borrowing against a HELOC to pay your cable bill. If you lose Jernigan it's because of your Cap issue not because you want to and back loading Graham's contract is going to be an issue also. And if You want to keep Wentz you better be way under the cap when it comes time. These moves will make that harder.:2cents:

I hear you and will now go on record :

I know in the long run this will all need to be stripped down and rebuilt, ( most likely via the draft)
But like every franchise that has won and still has that core they will try at least one more attempt of winning it all.
Seattle is a great example of this, there all world secondary was blown up, along with LB's and defensive front. But they
have started there rebuild pretty darn well.

Now let me have my fun while it lasts....

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its called kicking the can down the road Millen and Mayhew did it to the Lions for years.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is going to sign Pork Chop, dude is still trying to get his fat arse in shape to play in this league

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles have done this for over a decade.

Only Chip Kelly got rid of talent and made a mess of the cap.

And even then Howie fixed it all in year one. It produced a Super Bowl almost immediately.

The cap is not a limiting factor to building a quality team.

The salary cap is flawed as a leveling device and the Eagles have gamed it going all the way back to 1999, maybe earlier. The times you miss on a contract don't even hurt you enough to not continue gaming it. They gave a terrible contract to Nnamdi Asomugha and it only hurt them long term on the field, not in salary complications. They even changed the NLTBE incentive clause because Joe Banner was gaming it so much.

The cap doesn't matter when you manage it right.