• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you spend the Seahawks cap space?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's possible...

Cut Lane I meant let him walk. Love the kid but the injury inconsistencies are too big of a concern.

Look guys, I get we had the best rushing D in the NFL and Mebane/Rubin were a big part of it, but it's a passing league. Cam sat in the pocket (as well as a lot of other QBs) for seconds on end while the pass rush failed to do anything. Just because Mebane/Rubin are great stuffing the run doesn't mean other DTs can't be WHILE providing a pass rush. If Mebane/Rubin stick around for a bargain, sure... but my point is we need to replace them via draft/free agency.

Think you guys are missing my point. We can't go another season with Rubin/Mebane as the ONLY option at DT.

Mebane isn't providing the push that he used to on 3rd down. Rubin, he never plays on passing down.

The big dissapointment to me this year though, was Jordan Hill, and to a lesser extent Frank Clark. Those guys played a lot of 3rd downs and outside of some flashes, didn't really do much.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mebane isn't providing the push that he used to on 3rd down. Rubin, he never plays on passing down.

The big dissapointment to me this year though, was Jordan Hill, and to a lesser extent Frank Clark. Those guys played a lot of 3rd downs and outside of some flashes, didn't really do much.
Yeah the Seahawks have been waiting for a while for Hill to have a break out year and it just hasn't happened yet , despite flashes here and there. Clark was just a rookie, think he is better suited for DE myself. Hopefully he pans out better then Hill has thus far.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Seahawks have been waiting for a while for Hill to have a break out year and it just hasn't happened yet , despite flashes here and there. Clark was just a rookie, think he is better suited for DE myself. Hopefully he pans out better then Hill has thus far.

I think he will. And he did play end on a lot of passing downs when Rubin would leave and Bennett would move inside.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought clark played great when given the chance. As far as hill, he did have a late injury the year before, maybe that slowed him down. Hoping for a big year from him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clark is a keeper. Flashed big time in pre-season and did well in a fairly limited role.

Jordan Hill seems like he could be really good. Hasn't had his break-out year yet, just "break" years with all the injuries.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lynch retires, how much money would that save under the cap?
According to overthecap.com, his '16 cap number is $11.5M. If he's cut prior to 1 June, the team has $5M in dead money this year with a savings of $6.5M. I'm assuming retiring (before 1 June) would be an equivalent cap hit, and I suspect the team has an option to split the dead money between '16 and '17.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to overthecap.com, his '16 cap number is $11.5M. If he's cut prior to 1 June, the team has $5M in dead money this year with a savings of $6.5M. I'm assuming retiring (before 1 June) would be an equivalent cap hit, and I suspect the team has an option to split the dead money between '16 and '17.

The team has the option to reclaim that 5 mil if he retires in his own. And I fully expect them to do it. If not, they would paid him 17 mil for 1 year in which he hardly played and didn't produce much when he did. The 12 mil for last year is about as generous as they should be.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team has the option to reclaim that 5 mil if he retires in his own. And I fully expect them to do it. If not, they would paid him 17 mil for 1 year in which he hardly played and didn't produce much when he did. The 12 mil for last year is about as generous as they should be.
Reclaim the $5M -- you talking real dollars or cap hit? I think we are stuck with the cap hit even if the team exercises their right to take back some of the signing bonus, but I could be wrong....

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clark is a keeper. Flashed big time in pre-season and did well in a fairly limited role.

Jordan Hill seems like he could be really good. Hasn't had his break-out year yet, just "break" years with all the injuries.

Yeah, I liked what I saw from Clark... I thought he played well given the minutes he was given on the field... Clark did enough imo, to give us hope at that position... I think he'll end up being a solid starter for us down the road...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know... 4 Seahawks contracts are fully guaranteed for this coming season... 6 million of Earl's 8 Million is fully GTD as well..

upload_2016-2-13_15-13-55.png

In addition to that, tight end Luke Wilson is set to get a raise due to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, according to ProFootballRumors.com. Wilson, who enters his fourth season next year, qualifies for an contract escalator due to playing in 35 percent of his teams offensive snaps in two of his first three seasons or netting an average of 35 percent playing time over his first three seasons. Any players drafted in round three or lower qualifies if they meet the first criteria.

Neither salary cap quirk affects the Seahawks current space, which is $29 million plus with Marshawn Lynch's cap hold not factored into the equation.

The Seahawks salary cap situation remains desirable as they have the fifth most space in the NFL with more to come. Now, they just need to make use of it. In recent years, they also do, and they do it well

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I liked what I saw from Clark... I thought he played well given the minutes he was given on the field... Clark did enough imo, to give us hope at that position... I think he'll end up being a solid starter for us down the road...

That's why I'm kinda surprised that we didn't see more of Clark. I know that preseason performance doesn't always translate to the regular season, but given how well he played in August I would have thought he'd get more playing time earlier in the season than he did.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to nfl.com - the Seahawks have the 5th most cap space in the league right now.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I'm kinda surprised that we didn't see more of Clark. I know that preseason performance doesn't always translate to the regular season, but given how well he played in August I would have thought he'd get more playing time earlier in the season than he did.

He actually played quite a bit on passing downs. He was the first guy off the bench when the big guys came out (Mebane, Rubin).

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$29M? First thing is I'd quit my job, then I would take a nice long relaxing vacation.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the D strong... We need another stud corner opposite of Sherman, we've had a weak link there ... D line needs a pass rusher or 2 ... Focus on that and the offensive line... Don't overpay for a RB we have Rawls and we can draft a young running back for cheap ...