• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you spend the Seahawks cap space?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Seahawks had 29 mil in cap space (as estimated on Spotrac). How would you spend it in free agency if you could realistically sign anyone

Cordy Glenn - 4 years 42 million
Evan Mathis - 2 years 9 million
Matt Forte - 3 years 11 million
Sean Smith - 4 years 26 million

Approximately 4-5 million remaining

Cut Marshawn and save 6.5 million

Use the rest of the money to resign Lane, Rubin/Mebane and draft a replacement for Irvin. Keep an eye on Okung. If the market is dry for him and a 1 year 3.5 million prove it deal would bring him back then start him at RT.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Seahawks had 29 mil in cap space (as estimated on Spotrac). How would you spend it in free agency if you could realistically sign anyone

Use the rest of the money to resign Lane, Rubin/Mebane and draft a replacement for Irvin. Keep an eye on Okung. If the market is dry for him and a 1 year 3.5 million prove it deal would bring him back then start him at RT.
Corey Glenn, but think he'll be given the franchised tag before they'll let him leave. Also he'll be making more then 10 mil a year IMO.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Sammie Bradford to biggest contract if NFL history, 100 million guaranteed sounds good.

2868703_o.gif

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glenn would be great but its doubtful he gets away from buffalo. We probably spend the money on one mid tier FA and use the rest to resign guys.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't do Forte or Smith (I also think you're very optimistic about what it will take to land Smith). How secure are we that Smith can pick up the Hawk way at CB? Also, I don't think we can afford to pay all 4 secondary positions. If you get rid of Kam, I could see spending some coin at RCB. Forte is an old running back, no thank you.

I have to give it more thought, but I'd try to resign Okung, Lane, and Rubin first off. If Okung is too pricy, I'd sniff around Alex Mack (assuming he opts out) and Osmele. Then I'd look for bargains/hidden gems on the interior of both lines.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane. He won't be ultra expensive, and we need that door at RCB to be stable.
The CB spot has been troublesome, Irvin has gotten better, but still easier to replace. IMO.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that the Offensive strategy will dictate this the most, so who is choosen for RB depth must meet the needs of the OC.

Given that, I would LOVE to see RW given a RB in the mold of sproles or woodhead. Could Forte fill that role?
Is THAT type of RB even in the Hawks offensive mold?

I don't want Forte if he is considered as the featured RB. Only Forte if he IS that 500+ yd receiver.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign SonnyCID to a 1 year - 29 mil deal, all guaranteed.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be one of the more interesting offseasons of the Schneider/Carroll era. I don't know if they're going to do a whole lot in free agency outside of their own free agents and deciding to bring back any of those guys won't necessarily be an easy decision to make. Then they have the Lynch situation to deal with, which I don't think anyone has a handle on at the moment. Then they have to decide how to handle potential contract disputes with both Chancellor and Bennett.

Both of those guys expressed their displeasure with their contracts last year, but chose to handle it in different ways. Chancellor decided to hold out and when he did come back, he not only had to sit out due to injury later in the season, he wasn't the same player that he had been previously when he did play. I'd say he actually cost himself money on his next deal and I've read more than one article/blog post suggesting that it's time for the Seahawks to actually cut bait and move on from him altogether; an idea which I don't completely disagree with. Bennett, on the other hand, despite being unhappy with his contract, decided to play the entire season, ended up going to the Pro Bowl and likely earned himself more money in the process. How they handle those two situations could send a message to the rest of the team and have an impact on what they do in free agency this year.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that the Offensive strategy will dictate this the most, so who is choosen for RB depth must meet the needs of the OC.

Given that, I would LOVE to see RW given a RB in the mold of sproles or woodhead. Could Forte fill that role?
Is THAT type of RB even in the Hawks offensive mold?

I don't want Forte if he is considered as the featured RB. Only Forte if he IS that 500+ yd receiver.

Forte would be a good fred jackson replacement, if we can get him for a modest deal.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Mathis or Andre Smith would be a good pick up for the line. Resigning Lane is a must. I'm hoping for the most part that Seattle steers clear of FA and builds through the draft. Oh and I'd extend bennett and give him a raise cause he is so important to the defense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glenn will get way more than $42M. He's one of the best OTs in the game and his specialty is pass blocking... I see a 5 year $70M contract thrown his way with the cap situation these days (escalating payments).

Honestly I'm fine with the offense. Spend a 3rd rounder or so on a rookie RB and let Lockett/Baldwin go to work... we're probably going to have to pay Baldwin some decent money as well, that guy flat out dominated this season and had the one handed highlight reel catch.

Spend the ENTIRE draft and free agency on defense. I know this sounds crazy but Mebane and umm.... Rubin? are done. Stick a fork in them. Fine for situation based D-Line but it's over. Irvin is probably going to get overpaid and gone (which is the correct move) so we need to replace that. The secondary is a mess. Chancellor (who knows) has a crap work ethic and outside of Sherman there is ZERO CB ability on the team. I love Lane but he's Thurmond #2, just cut him and move on...

Team should be drafting HEAVY D-Line, CB, and OLB... and the entire free agency should be spent on it.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the offense is fine, outside of the OL. one of the worst OLs in the league and absolutely has to be addressed.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glenn will get way more than $42M. He's one of the best OTs in the game and his specialty is pass blocking... I see a 5 year $70M contract thrown his way with the cap situation these days (escalating payments).

Honestly I'm fine with the offense. Spend a 3rd rounder or so on a rookie RB and let Lockett/Baldwin go to work... we're probably going to have to pay Baldwin some decent money as well, that guy flat out dominated this season and had the one handed highlight reel catch.

Spend the ENTIRE draft and free agency on defense. I know this sounds crazy but Mebane and umm.... Rubin? are done. Stick a fork in them. Fine for situation based D-Line but it's over. Irvin is probably going to get overpaid and gone (which is the correct move) so we need to replace that. The secondary is a mess. Chancellor (who knows) has a crap work ethic and outside of Sherman there is ZERO CB ability on the team. I love Lane but he's Thurmond #2, just cut him and move on...

Team should be drafting HEAVY D-Line, CB, and OLB... and the entire free agency should be spent on it.
It is my belief the #1 reason Seattle owned the best rushing D in the league was because of our 2 starting DT's. If they were done, there is no way the team gets the same results.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you for real? It's honestly tough to take you seriously when you say bizarre stuff like this. Rubin was a bargain this year and had an outstanding season. Huge space eater in the middle of the DL. "Cut" Lane?? He's a FA so that's not really possible, but he's also been very good as a slot corner. Secondary a "mess" with Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor??? I think you hit the sauce a bit early today.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would I spend the cap cash?
Most of the $ would go to resigning our own FA's except for Okung.
I would try to resign Kearse, Sweezy, Lane, Mebane, Rubin, and Irvin but might not be able to make a deal.
Tender Lewis and offer Bailey a small but fair package.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you for real? It's honestly tough to take you seriously when you say bizarre stuff like this. Rubin was a bargain this year and had an outstanding season. Huge space eater in the middle of the DL. "Cut" Lane?? He's a FA so that's not really possible, but he's also been very good as a slot corner. Secondary a "mess" with Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor??? I think you hit the sauce a bit early today.

Well that's possible...

Cut Lane I meant let him walk. Love the kid but the injury inconsistencies are too big of a concern.

Look guys, I get we had the best rushing D in the NFL and Mebane/Rubin were a big part of it, but it's a passing league. Cam sat in the pocket (as well as a lot of other QBs) for seconds on end while the pass rush failed to do anything. Just because Mebane/Rubin are great stuffing the run doesn't mean other DTs can't be WHILE providing a pass rush. If Mebane/Rubin stick around for a bargain, sure... but my point is we need to replace them via draft/free agency.

Think you guys are missing my point. We can't go another season with Rubin/Mebane as the ONLY option at DT.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's possible...

Cut Lane I meant let him walk. Love the kid but the injury inconsistencies are too big of a concern.

Look guys, I get we had the best rushing D in the NFL and Mebane/Rubin were a big part of it, but it's a passing league. Cam sat in the pocket (as well as a lot of other QBs) for seconds on end while the pass rush failed to do anything. Just because Mebane/Rubin are great stuffing the run doesn't mean other DTs can't be WHILE providing a pass rush. If Mebane/Rubin stick around for a bargain, sure... but my point is we need to replace them via draft/free agency.

Think you guys are missing my point. We can't go another season with Rubin/Mebane as the ONLY option at DT.

I think your point is the Seahawks have no interior pass rush to keep QBs from stepping up when are DE come around the OTs and you make a good point. As good as Mebane and Rubin are in the run game they are lame in getting a push in the interior on passing plays. Be nice if the Seahawks found a player that could do both.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lynch retires, how much money would that save under the cap?