• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How will the Pats stop The Seahawks Offense

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically if Lynch gets 125y+ There's little chance the Pats will win. If you let him get yards in the first half it's going to be a long day at the office for that defense. There is no way stopping Lynch isn't the center of their game plan, so what will Bevell do to counter any attempts to overload the box?

My guess is he will plow Marshawn into it 5-6 times, throw a bubble screen to that side and really get the MLB leaning that way with the D-line crashing hard that way as well as Revis and Mcourty. Then you zone block right and Marshawn cuts back to the left or RW keeps it on zone read left. Next you run play action with Baldwin on a double move on say a 3rd and 4 or 5. Revis will have to respect a curl at the sticks and RW throws over the top as long as the safety isn't there. Bevell also has those roll out plays with a TE and WR at two levels making the LB choose who to play. By the time the 4th quarter rolls around the runs to the right will be very soft and big chunks of yards will be there for the taking.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am gonna go with, "Inflate their balls for a $1000, Alex."

^^^^^This

They will over inflate the balls so Wilson can't get a good grip on the ball for passing. And it will be easy to punch out of anyones grasp!!!!

:lol:

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hightower is, in effect, a very solid Mike. On the other hand, he's one of the guys who's limited at practice. He's a good bet to blow up a screen play before it's rolling. Collins is the guy you have a better chance at fooling.

One reason that Pats don't have a pass rusher with many production stats other than Ninkovich is that Jones was hurt for half the season. So that's a bit artificial. Ninkovich is well into savvy-vet territory, and can be totally trusted to do his job and keep contain (except of course for when he's just physically beaten). Jones is only a little less reliable in that regard, and is generally the stronger of the two.

The JAGgiest guys on the Patriots defense right now are Casillas (mid-season pickup at LB), Chung (basically a failure at strong safety until this season), depth DBs (#4-5 CB, #3-4 S), and DTs after Wilfork and mid-season pickup Branch (Siliga and Chris Jones, fairly JAGgy at their best, are also limited at practice). Mid-season pickup Ayers isn't seeing the field much recently, which confuses Pats fans a bit because he had a lot of production when he did play.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to think stop Lynch and contain Wilson.
I think Lynch gets 110 yards and Wilson causes the most difficulty extending plays. If he throws early - Patriots win.....

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lynch gets 110 yards and Wilson causes the most difficulty extending plays. If he throws early - Patriots win.....

Containing Wilson would be the way to keep him from extending plays. NE secondary as you know is above average too so keeping Wilson in the pocket has to be the focus IMO.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Containing Wilson would be the way to keep him from extending plays. NE secondary as you know is above average too so keeping Wilson in the pocket has to be the focus IMO.

baiting Wilson when he is out of the pocket will reap better dividends.....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baiting Wilson when he is out of the pocket will reap better dividends.....

Baiting Wilson when he is out of the pocket is a dangerous proposition. Receivers are ad libbing at this point and all it takes is one misstep for a defender to be out of position and leave a wide open receiver. Furthermore, that would expose the Patriots 3rd and 4th DBs as the Seahawks distribute the football about as well as any team in the league.

To me the key matchups are Jamie Collins vs Russell Wilson and Luke Willson vs the Pats interior D. Collins may be the best coverage backer for the Pats and could probably cover Willson but if he is on #3 he won't be able to do that.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think the Patriots are going to completely stop both players either, although it would certainly be nice!!

But it's also how consistent and impactful those yards are. Sometimes running well in the first followed by minimal yards in the second is enough. The Ravens game was certainly like that.

I think the Patriots D has well played against some good QBs, even mobile ones, with reasonable success.

But we shall see.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Patriots are going to completely stop both players either, although it would certainly be nice!!

But it's also how consistent and impactful those yards are. Sometimes running well in the first followed by minimal yards in the second is enough. The Ravens game was certainly like that.

I think the Patriots D has well played against some good QBs, even mobile ones, with reasonable success.

But we shall see.

Collins will play the spy on Wilson and try to keep him between the tackles with Ninkovich looming.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEA WRs are adequate, but not to be feared, much like NE's...The NE back 4 imo is only a notch below that of SEA's...Browner obviously will get tested often, but I'm thinking they will play a lot of varied coverage to keep RW thinking...some 8 in the box with a single high S, some 2 deep S, some man, some zone...and keep a spy on Wilson when in man coverage, and lay licks on him every chance they get on the read option plays.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this talk about the success GB had in their strategy gives me some chuckle though. The Hawks were shooting themselves in the feet the entire game. It was that same D that let Seattle go 3 TD's in like 4 minutes at the end when they stopped shooting themselves.

I do expect Seattle to start off slow. Most teams have success slowing down their run early and they are known for lots of 3 and outs in first halves. It is 3rd quarters where they start turning it on.

Seattles D sucked against GB, same as their offense. Fact

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattles D sucked against GB, same as their offense. Fact

Seattle's D was the only reason that game wasn't 28-0 at the half. Rodgers only had a 55 passer rating by the end of the game. How is that bad Defense?

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for GB screwing up on the onside kick. The Hawks faithful would be saying what happened to our D as well as our Offense

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for GB screwing up on the onside kick. The Hawks faithful would be saying what happened to our D as well as our Offense

No, the onside kick saved us from talking about Wilson's bad game all off-season. We'd still need to give our D credit for keeping us in that game.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seattle turned the ball over 5 freaking times and you are talking about their defense being the problem???

:L

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is probably the best OLB nobody ever talks about, and I think his ability to reach and contain Wilson will be the most underrated matchup of the entire game. His coverage ability for an OLB is rather rare, and if there's a player that could really give Wilson a fit when it comes to escaping the pocket, it's going to be Collins, imo.

Great football point.

keeping Wilson within the pocket to lessen the big plays is priority #1.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is going well. Please ignore the troll Bud. don't give him the satisfaction of derailing this thread.

Couple points, Ive read and heard alot about Collins, how he will be the key to spying RW, He will be the key to defending the seem routes to the TE, how he will be the key to stopping Lynch. He is no longer underrated! lol. The man has to play a great game it sounds like..... cause he's the key to a lot for NE.

Another thing, SEattle has played a lot of top notch Defenses over the last year and a half, playing in the NFCW. I don't think anything NE will show them is something they haven't seen from SF, Arizona, STL or the LOB in practice.

I compare the pats D to Zonas d a little bit. Peterson=Revis (you can debate which one is better but for my comparison give me a little leway) Cromartie=Browner. Chung=Bucannon (more run support guy I could be wrong on this tho) and Mccortie= Honey badger

What zona had again imo is a better front 7

Good discussion.

Last point Talking heads are really underestimating Seattles O. They were 9th in the legaue in total O and have the most rushing yards a team has had in a few years.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same way the horrid Packer defense did for 55 minutes or so. But I am guessing the Pats will watch for fake field goals and do better in the event of onside kicks.

The Seahawk offense is not this big juggernaut offense the receivers are average at best and can be covered by the good Pats secondary. They can then move more in the box to limit Lynch. If they can keep Wilson from running around like the Packers did they should have the game under control.