• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How will the Pats stop The Seahawks Offense

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats run a 3 Tech D most of the time a 3-4 due to the depth at interior linemen,,i suspect they will mix things up when Lynch is in there with a more base D.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article shows the success they have had with their sub packages

Patriots' D groupings: Sub packages rise - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- With the New England Patriots playing on Thursday this past week, it opened up the weekend and gave us a chance to take a bigger-picture look at some of the team's personnel usage and groupings through seven games. This can help identify trends and also highlight player value.

With this in mind, here is an update on the Patriots' defensive groupings this season (including penalties):

Sub: 284 of 478 (59.4 percent)
Base: 189 of 478 (39.5 percent)
Heavy: 5 of 478 (1.0 percent)

Through one quarter of the season, the numbers were a bit closer (53 percent sub, 47 percent base), but things have shifted in the last three games.

This is something we wanted to watch a bit closer, given that the Patriots were in sub packages 67 percent of the time last season. As it turns out, things appear to be headed in that direction again this season; sub should be the prevalent packages against the next two opponents, Chicago and Denver, based on their offensive style of play.

The Patriots are mostly a nickel team (five defensive backs) in sub, but have also played some dime (43 snaps) this season.

This highlights the value of fifth and sixth defensive backs on game day such as Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, Tavon Wilson and Nate Ebner on the 46-man game-day roster.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson was certainly playing like crap. Did GBs D have anything to do with it?

I was told no not at all it was all Wilsons failure. Even the interceptions were not because of the Packer defense because they bounced off of receivers hands. Is it possible Wilson threw a bad pass because of pressure from the defense where it was not a good throw to the receiver and bounced off the receivers hands because it was a bad throw. No of course not it was all the receivers fault.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same way the horrid Packer defense did for 55 minutes or so. But I am guessing the Pats will watch for fake field goals and do better in the event of onside kicks.

The Seahawk offense is not this big juggernaut offense the receivers are average at best and can be covered by the good Pats secondary. They can then move more in the box to limit Lynch. If they can keep Wilson from running around like the Packers did they should have the game under control.

They were good enough to score 21 on the Packers in a matter of minutes...

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching that Colts game i believe the Hawks will be able to run on them fairly well.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trap Russell Wilson in a Dixie cup. That should help stop the offense a little.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same way the horrid Packer defense did for 55 minutes or so. But I am guessing the Pats will watch for fake field goals and do better in the event of onside kicks.

The Seahawk offense is not this big juggernaut offense the receivers are average at best and can be covered by the good Pats secondary. They can then move more in the box to limit Lynch. If they can keep Wilson from running around like the Packers did they should have the game under control.

Three of those INT's were off the hands of the WR's or maybe two cant recall,plus that was the worst game i have ever seen our offense play,glad that is out of the way now.

The Packers had the chance unlike any other team in three years to win with that amount of turnovers against the Hawks and still could not get TD's when they needed them,you think the Pats are going to have it any easier? i dont think so.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were good enough to score 21 on the Packers in a matter of minutes...

Yes on a fake field goal no less a great offensive play that is used many times. You missed the point I said the same way the Packer defense did for 55 minutes. It wasnt how great Seattle did at the end it was the patheticness of the Packer offense and defense that allowed Seattle to win. America saw it.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching that Colts game i believe the Hawks will be able to run on them fairly well.

The Pats were more concerned about the pass than the run against the Colts so any running the Colts did was going to have a bit of success. If the Pats want to stop the run they will and my guess is that will be their first priority on Sunday.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats were more concerned about the pass than the run against the Colts so any running the Colts did was going to have a bit of success. If the Pats want to stop the run they will and my guess is that will be their first priority on Sunday.

Yes it will,they will rely heavy on revis etc but thats the rub if they box in for the run Wilson and the wr's have a tendency to make you pay for it.

Hawks will want to get to Brady quick i imagine like any other time so,it will be interesting to see how these two game plan and adjust to eacother.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes on a fake field goal no less a great offensive play that is used many times. You missed the point I said the same way the Packer defense did for 55 minutes. It wasnt how great Seattle did at the end it was the patheticness of the Packer offense and defense that allowed Seattle to win. America saw it.

Actually, that fake was before the 21 points I was talking about.

"If games were 55 minutes long..." - lambeaulegs

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it will,they will rely heavy on revis etc but thats the rub if they box in for the run Wilson and the wr's have a tendency to make you pay for it.

Hawks will want to get to Brady quick i imagine like any other time so,it will be interesting to see how these two game plan and adjust to eacother.

I think that's the risk they might be willing to take.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was told no not at all it was all Wilsons failure. Even the interceptions were not because of the Packer defense because they bounced off of receivers hands. Is it possible Wilson threw a bad pass because of pressure from the defense where it was not a good throw to the receiver and bounced off the receivers hands because it was a bad throw. No of course not it was all the receivers fault.

Jesus man, get over it. Your team lost. And this discussion isn't about them.

GB did pass rush well and were decent at containing Wilson, but the story was clearly more about what that offense was doing wrong. There's no other way to look at it. Wilson throwing into double coverage and a short pass at that. Never seen that in 3 years. Not once. And they play against FAR better defenses all the time. Wilson's first ball that bounced off Kearse Was thrown to the wrong shoulder so that too was a poor choice as well as execution on his part. The other one was dumb luck/poor receiving. But the reason a few of us said the story was the offense and what they did to themselves was all the unforced errors. Bad snaps, pre snap penalties, personal fouls, etc. You can't possible claim that was your D rattling them. :L

Now let the teams that are actually still playing work this out.

:suds:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson was certainly playing like crap. Did GBs D have anything to do with it?

Pepper's and Matthews went off for most of the game and those are two HOF'ers playing who brought their A+ game. I don't think a lot of other teams are capable of doing what they did against the Seahawks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those 55 minutes were more about the Seahawks trying to give the Packers the game. Once the game was on the line they went thru the Packers like swiss cheese. I think the Patriots will try some thing a bit different. I snicker every time you try to pass the Packers defense as being good. Pulling for the Lions to win the division next year. The Packers have become the Patriots of the NFC, they just haven't had much competition for the division for way to long. It fools folks into thinking their good, when really all they have is Rogers and a passing system that make WRs look good. Time for a team in your division prove that defense wins.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots won't stop the Seattle offense. They will score more points, take their trophy and go home!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE's D is getting talked up a lot by the analysts this past week or so, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the field to determine whether it's real or just hype. Seattle went through a pretty rough gauntlet of tough Ds for the last handful of regular season games and divisional round vs Carolina.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality of the Patriots is that they never play the same way twice. Belichick game plans for the opponent. What the Patriots have done previously has no bearing whatsoever on this Sunday's game.
Belichick will devise a plan for both the offense and the defense specifically for the Seahawks. I'm pretty sure he'll have a couple of gimmick plays and formations. Will they work? Who knows......
If they don't he'll try to make adjustments at halftime or he'll pull the defense together on the bench and talk to them.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE's D is getting talked up a lot by the analysts this past week or so, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the field to determine whether it's real or just hype. Seattle went through a pretty rough gauntlet of tough Ds for the last handful of regular season games and divisional round vs Carolina.

Interesting. I have not had a chance to see a lot of the coverage. What did they say about the Hawks offense against the Pats defense? The numbers suggest the Pats have issues with big time RBs.