• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How to Fix College Football

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have criteria, this playoff system is just fine. Now this year could be the biggest test for the CFP committee if Oklahoma and Utah both win. There is absolutely no good reason to expand to 8.
No good reason? How about arguably the 5th best football team in the world outside the NFL has no shot to win a CFB title? Never mind you don't know if the 5th best team is better than any of those above them.

But if it stays at 4, so be it. We are better off than where we were before the CFP.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I just don't get that rationale and we hear it a lot. To me, if teams knew they were in if they won their conference that would be incentive to schedule better OOC.

The justification/excuse that we hear all of the time for teams scheduling cupcakes is that they know that 1 loss can end their chances at making the playoff.

So, the idea of autobids is brought up and the response is..."now you're making OOC games meaningless".

It makes no sense.

I don't think the problem is that these teams don't want to play each other. I think the problem is that they don't want it to cost them a shot at the playoff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The national title is a special title that only special teams should win, not whiners that think they should be included because they came up with an exception or and excuse of why their team was close enough to being a special team. Close enough sucks in this sport, earn it and you're invited, make excuses and you can GTFOH.

lol

And if the playoff is expanded...guess what?

It'll still take a special team to win it. In fact, you could make the argument that they are even more special because they had to beat more quality teams to do it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The justification/excuse that we hear all of the time for teams scheduling cupcakes is that they know that 1 loss can end their chances at making the playoff.

So, the idea of autobids is brought up and the response is..."now you're making OOC games meaningless".

It makes no sense.

I don't think the problem is that these teams don't want to play each other. I think the problem is that they don't want it to cost them a shot at the playoff.
So they would have no problem with injuries in games that are meaningless? The SEC now uses cupcakes before rivalry weekend to give them rest before those big games. In other words, having a tough opponent that week before would be tougher on them for the games that matter.

We have imperial evidence that teams will in fact go with fluff to save energy for games that matter. This isn't wild opinion or speculation. It exists right now. No reason to believe it wouldn't get worse when they are even less relevant than they are now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No good reason? How about arguably the 5th best football team in the world outside the NFL has no shot to win a CFB title? Never mind you don't know if the 5th best team is better than any of those above them.

But if it stays at 4, so be it. We are better off than where we were before the CFP.
Then it will be the 9th, 17th, and 33rd.

5th needed to be 4th. It's not that complicated.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they would have no problem with injuries in games that are meaningless? The SEC now uses cupcakes before rivalry weekend to give them rest before those big games. In other words, having a tough opponent that week before would be tougher on them for the games that matter.

We have imperial evidence that teams will in fact go with fluff to save energy for games that matter. This isn't wild opinion or speculation. It exists right now. No reason to believe it wouldn't get worse when they are even less relevant than they are now.

Teams that have the possibility of going to the playoff schedule cupcakes because they don't want to risk a loss that will be used against them.

Teams that don't have the possibility of making the playoff, schedule them to pad their win totals to become bowl eligible or to get to a better bowl.

Additionally, those "marquee type games" pay very well and are usually in the first couple of weeks of the season. So, if you eliminate the possibility of teams having their playoff chances ended for 1 loss, then yes, I think they'll take the money that those games bring in.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It makes no sense.

Though I will say there are some teams scheduling tougher lately. Bama and UF immediately come to mind. some have speculated Bama is doing it because they believe expansion is coming, but who knows if that's true?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF needs to be fixed?

It is abso-fucking-lute-ly awesome as is.

You wan't to create some shitfuck 8 or 16 team playoff; and you completely ruin the greatness of the week in and week out of college football forever.

But this weekend in particular is what he is talking about. Under the current system, this weekend is practically pointless.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 ring a bell?

Penn State won the Big 10. tOSU went to the CFP and got spanked 31-0 by Clemson in the 1st round. You didn't deserve to be there.

Exactly. That is why winning your conference should give you an automatic bid.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that have the possibility of going to the playoff schedule cupcakes because they don't want to risk a loss that will be used against them.

Teams that don't have the possibility of making the playoff, schedule them to pad their win totals to become bowl eligible or to get to a better bowl.

Additionally, those "marquee type games" pay very well and are usually in the first couple of weeks of the season. So, if you eliminate the possibility of teams having their playoff chances ended for 1 loss, then yes, I think they'll take the money that those games bring in.
Not all marquee games will vanish, but I'd bet the farm they decline. It's the next tier that goes away.

First of all, I don't agree with your opinion in the second paragraph. Plenty of teams schedule garbage to protect bowl eligibility. 3 or 4 wins so they need less conference wins to reach a bowl. These teams are some of the ones not available now to higher teams because they fear not making a bowl. Those larger teams then are left with FCS or low enough FBS that won't make a bowl anyway and need the payday.

For some reason when talking about overall OOC those on your side will only talk about those A games. The others count too.

For years most Pac teams did A B C. A marquee matchup with good travel on home and home for fans, national exposure, etc. A game against a similar team or mid level P5 / higher level G5, and a tune up type team. Again those were not FCS. SEC has a few that will do an A now, but mostly the other 3 are C D D. And no, I have no problems with a pair of double D's.

How would moving to more playoff spots get those SEC teams to do more in OOC? It won't. They can still use them all as tune up games, free wins to pad their win totals for better bowl ranking, and limit injury. It just makes sense that's how it will play out. It's more of what they already are doing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's wild opinion and speculation.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then it will be the 9th, 17th, and 33rd.

5th needed to be 4th. It's not that complicated.
Nope. We are talking 8 teams. No one has asked for more. Sure the 9th will think they got shafted, but at that point too bad. Even better would be if we had set rules everyone plays by and knows going in.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all marquee games will vanish, but I'd bet the farm they decline. It's the next tier that goes away.

First of all, I don't agree with your opinion in the second paragraph. Plenty of teams schedule garbage to protect bowl eligibility. 3 or 4 wins so they need less conference wins to reach a bowl. These teams are some of the ones not available now to higher teams because they fear not making a bowl. Those larger teams then are left with FCS or low enough FBS that won't make a bowl anyway and need the payday.

For some reason when talking about overall OOC those on your side will only talk about those A games. The others count too.

For years most Pac teams did A B C. A marquee matchup with good travel on home and home for fans, national exposure, etc. A game against a similar team or mid level P5 / higher level G5, and a tune up type team. Again those were not FCS. SEC has a few that will do an A now, but mostly the other 3 are C D D. And no, I have no problems with a pair of double D's.

How would moving to more playoff spots get those SEC teams to do more in OOC? It won't. They can still use them all as tune up games, free wins to pad their win totals for better bowl ranking, and limit injury. It just makes sense that's how it will play out. It's more of what they already are doing.
Seems like many are going to the model you prefer in future schedules. I know OSU is. Marquee P5, lesser P5 and maybe a MAC. Agree would be nice if this type of scheduling was mandatory...at least if a team wants to be considered for the CFP.

when you say "for years" in 2nd last paragraph when are you referring? 70s and into 80s? I do recall we used to have far better scheduling then for many teams. But since late 80s it's been pretty bad. At best, most teams would do no more than 1 p5 team.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. We are talking 8 teams. No one has asked for more. Sure the 9th will think they got shafted, but at that point too bad. Even better would be if we had set rules everyone plays by and knows going in.
The point is we were told the same things at 2, now 4, and it will surely continue. If you don't think some want more you haven't been on the hoop long. We have people that want 16 and 32. I think a couple want 12 with first round byes. This isn't about just you.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like many are going to the model you prefer in future schedules. I know OSU is. Marquee P5, lesser P5 and maybe a MAC. Agree would be nice if this type of scheduling was mandatory...at least if a team wants to be considered for the CFP.

when you say "for years" in 2nd last paragraph when are you referring? 70s and into 80s? I do recall we used to have far better scheduling then for many teams. But since late 80s it's been pretty bad. At best, most teams would do no more than 1 p5 team.
Up until the jump to 12 teams really.

Again, going away from balanced schedules was were things started going bad IMO. It had nothing to do with the playoffs. Everyone wanted that extra game (ccg) that came only if you had at least 12. There were teams penalized for not having that extra game. Hell, it still does which is why the big 12 added one now that 12 is no longer required. It's always a rematch game, but they need it for playoff status.

Get rid of ccg by going back to balance schedules. It fixes a lot if problems.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I will say there are some teams scheduling tougher lately. Bama and UF immediately come to mind. some have speculated Bama is doing it because they believe expansion is coming, but who knows if that's true?

Yeah, they've stepped up some.It seems that strength of schedule has started to become a little more important to the committee, so it's probably a reaction to that.

I'm not sure why believing that expansion is coming would be a reason for Bama to start scheduling tougher now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all marquee games will vanish, but I'd bet the farm they decline.

I disagree. Too much money to be made.

It's the next tier that goes away.

This I could see happening. Those next tier teams are ones that, while they will usually lose, they are capable of stepping up and biting a team on the ass. Teams like BYU, Boston College, etc. Teams may decide that there isn't enough money in it to justify a potential loss.

That's where, I believe it was your idea, about not allowing teams to do their own OOC scheduling or setting up rules re: scheduling could come in to play.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Too much money to be made.

This I could see happening. Those next tier teams are ones that, while they will usually lose, they are capable of stepping up and biting a team on the ass. Teams like BYU, Boston College, etc.

That's where, I believe it was your idea, about not allowing teams to do their own OOC scheduling or setting up rules re: scheduling could come in to play.
Right. I'd rather fix the things that are bad than expand on a bad system first. Fix the scheduling and see If 4 is still as bad in your mind. Hell, you want more football and im giving you 13 game seasons. That's more for everyone. And gets rid of the ccg bs.

Last edited: