• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Howard Can Get Repaired

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a start jvett.

In reality, I guess they'll just platoon Howard now and then for the rest of the season, and hope somehow he'll do better next year. :hope: As you said earlier, they're stuck in a corner. I wonder what is the largest amount of money owed by an MLB team to a player following that player's release.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the amount but it was sufficient enough to repel every other GM in MLB. Nobody wants to touch that contract unless the Phillies eat the majority of it.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they say on Baseball Tonight the other day that the Phillies essentially shopped Howard to almost every AL team as a DH/1B piece, even offering to pay most if not all of his salary, and not one team was even remotely interested

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might have BPNAZ. If that is the case, we are stuck with the guy and his contract for the next two years unless we decide just to cut him outright and then we have to pay him for the duration of the contract without any services.

Macho Row

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand what you mean by this. What kind of creative way to pay him do you have in mind? Are you talking about paying him a few million a year for 30 years like the Mets did with Bobby Bonilla? And what is the purpose of that for the Phillies? Does that count less against the luxury tax or something?
If you're just worried about him making a comeback with another team and becoming productive again while the Phillies are paying 95% of his salary I think I'm ok with that. They need to have first base open so they have more flexibility to give guys like Ruf or Franco or whoever else a chance to see if they can hit at the major league level.

The weird thing about this is that even though Amaro, as with most of his moves gave Howard the giant contract to keep him a "Phillie for life" is that the way it seems to be turning out, Howard's legacy would probably be viewed more favorable if he was not signed long term. If they let him walk when he became eligible and he never played another game with the Phillies he would be a legendary figure in their history no matter how bad he did with any other teams he played for. But if he goes out now he'll be loved for his first few years but a lot of people will take a long time to forget about the steep decline he took while making millions of dollars.

The way they did Bobby Bo's contract would be a worst case scenario. I more so meant move the money around, like give him a hefty raise this year to lessen the lux tax numbers for '15 and negating the 10 mil buy out for 17.

Captain Legacy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Howard, it looks more mental than physical nowadays. I think a change of scenery would do him wonders but no one will take on his ridiculous contract.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely Captain! We can't get rid of this guy even if we eat the contract. Nobody wants him.

Captain Legacy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely Captain! We can't get rid of this guy even if we eat the contract. Nobody wants him.

I agree, but don't worry I'm sure the Yankees will find a stupid excuse on trying to acquire him. Hank or Hal (whichever the dumb one is) will have the Phillies throw him in a deal with Cliff Lee. Both are past their prime former stars, Lee not as much but injuries are a concern, that the Yankees love to pick up. I'm a fan of the bombers but since George passed away, it hasn't looked good.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt a change of scenery would make a difference but if that is the case maybe they can trade him to a team and pay most of his salary but put some incentive clauses in there where if he plays a certain number of games or performs well the other team has to pay some money back to the Phillies.