• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do we get it done?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a penalty for going over the cap....When its past the deadline.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a penalty for going over the cap....When its past the deadline.

Curious as to what penalty, I was unaware of a penalty and would be good to know what it is.

When a team goes over salary cap, I know they begin voiding contracts starting with last contract signed and continue voiding contracts until team is under the cap.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious as to what penalty, I was unaware of a penalty and would be good to know what it is.

When a team goes over salary cap, I know they begin voiding contracts starting with last contract signed and continue voiding contracts until team is under the cap.

There are plenty of articles out there, none are really clear. It seems a team can decide to go over the salary cap, but the amount over is deducted from the teams cap the following year.

Jerry Jones had to cut alot of players last year and is in the same boat this year, washington is in bad shape too. Redskins were 36 million over the cap in 2010, they were penalized 18 million in 2012 and 2013, so the penalty is they were allowed to spend 18 million less than other teams could spend. I cant see more penalties listed anywhere, but I guess this is enough to deter the spending, but realistically, if a team wants to go out and go all out next year, they will be handcuffed the two years after.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what you're talking about.
I was talking about Pep's contract. That's all.

You said 4 million this and next season, no big deal. Thats one player. But the trend seems to be doing the same with cutler, jennings, slausen and gold, so to add peppers drop in the bucket 4 million and doing the same with these other four contracts will end up costing us 20 million worth of players. Its fine if we have a draft guru that hits on his picks, but we dont.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of articles out there, none are really clear. It seems a team can decide to go over the salary cap, but the amount over is deducted from the teams cap the following year.

Jerry Jones had to cut alot of players last year and is in the same boat this year, washington is in bad shape too. Redskins were 36 million over the cap in 2010, they were penalized 18 million in 2012 and 2013, so the penalty is they were allowed to spend 18 million less than other teams could spend. I cant see more penalties listed anywhere, but I guess this is enough to deter the spending, but realistically, if a team wants to go out and go all out next year, they will be handcuffed the two years after.

You cannot be over the cap at any point once the NFL season starts (some time in March I believe). 2010 was a special instance... it was an "uncapped" year, but all teams were told to stay under the cap figure (from prior year I assume).

All teams did abide by 2010 cap rules except for Redskins and Cowboys who pushed all kinds of money into 2010 to take advantage of the uncapped year. The NFL retroactively penalized Redskins and Cowboys by taking the $ they were over the "cap" in 2010 and reducing their cap number in future years.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a mind is a terrible thing to waste

Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap and floor regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.

:gaah:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said 4 million this and next season, no big deal. Thats one player. But the trend seems to be doing the same with cutler, jennings, slausen and gold, so to add peppers drop in the bucket 4 million and doing the same with these other four contracts will end up costing us 20 million worth of players. Its fine if we have a draft guru that hits on his picks, but we dont.

I don't even understand the point this post is trying to make.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been drinking. And am having a hell of a time, trying to figure out out what you're trying to point out.
If Pep is cut after June 1, he would count 4 mil vs the cap . Instead of the 18 mil if not cut.
The Bears could also restructure Jay's salary in to bonus money. Which would also decrease his cap hit. With no repercussions next year.
I don't see where it would cost 20 mil worth of players. I think it would get us that. At-least.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been drinking. And am having a hell of a time, trying to figure out out what you're trying to point out.
If Pep is cut after June 1, he would count 4 mil vs the cap . Instead of the 18 mil if not cut.
The Bears could also restructure Jay's salary in to bonus money. Which would also decrease his cap hit. With no repercussions next year.
I don't see where it would cost 20 mil worth of players. I think it would get us that. At-least.

dead money on peppers has to be paid. 8 million dollars can be split between two seasons if they wait til after june first, thats four million this year, four million next year. If they cut him now, the whole 8 million counts against next years cap and cant split it, but splitting it means 4 million counts against the 2015 cap.

All Bonus money counts towards the cap. Converting salary to signing bonus was the way teams tried to circumvent the cap. That was the change in the CBA. They dont have to pay it this year, but they will have to pay it and it counts towards the cap. Jays 22 million can be converted but it WILL all count against the cap eventually. So the twenty million dollars I am talking about is deferring peppers (4 million), say, half of cutler (11 million), parts of jennings, slausen and robbie and you are gonna be close to 20 million. That is the route this gm seems to want to take. This talk that Jays contract is not so bad because its basically a three year deal, all that means is its guaranteed money and will count 52 million against the cap over the next four or 5 seasons if he gets released before the third year. Dont be surprised if some of Marshalls 9.5 million ends up getting deferred too.

Its pretty clear you dont realize signing bonus money counts against the cap.

If it didnt, why wouldnt all the teams sign a guy to a dollar contract with a 10 million dollar signing bonus?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the questions I get a lot deals with what a “post June 1” cut is and how designating someone a June 1 cut helps my team. So lets talk a bit about that today.
What we are talking about here deals strictly with the acceleration of prorated bonus money onto the current years salary cap. The NFL essentially breaks up its salary cap accounting for bonuses into two periods with June 1 being the trigger date. When a player is removed from a players roster prior to June 1st all his remaining unamortized bonus money immediately accelerates onto the salary cap. To illustrate this we see how the Kansas City Chiefs gave Steve Breaston a $5 million dollar signing bonus in 2011, which was accounted as $1 million in yearly expenses over the course of his 5 year contract. When he was released just the other day he had only completed 2 years of his 5 year contract meaning the Chiefs salary cap had only accounted for $2 million of the $5 million paid in 2011. The balance of $3 million dollars immediately accelerates onto the Chiefs 2013 salary cap.

After June 1 the NFL changes the way the acceleration works. After June 1st only the current years expense remains on the books after the player is released. The balance accelerates onto the following years salary cap. So in Breastons case had the Chiefs waited until June 1st to release him his salary cap charge in 2013 would have been $1 million and in 2014 he still would be on the books at $2 million dollars.
This rule is really another way in which the league holds tremendous power over the players. In some cases the acceleration of bonus money could throw a teams salary cap into chaos, if higher than the players current cap charge as an active player. Since teams need to remain under the cap at all times once the League Year begins the potential of the acceleration onto the current years cap would prevent a players release and allow them to continue earning their salary for the year. Instead they are thrust into a pool of summertime free agents when most teams are strapped for cap space and have made many of the decisions about their roster.
I think where many people get confused, though, is when they hear that “player x” could be designated a June 1 cut and immediately jump to conclusions that it means a spending spree in March. The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. It’s the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year. The issue though is the mechanism by which this works.
When you designate someone as a June 1 cut the player and his current contract remain on the books until June 1. Going back to the Breaston example has he been designated a June 1 cut his cap charge today would not be $1 million with $2 million on the books in 2014. His cap charge would be $5 million dollars, the same cap charge as if they never cut him at all. When June 1st hits his cap then moves down to $1 million and the other $2 million accelerate into the 2014 season. By that point in time free agency is finished and the extra cap room does not do the team much good. They would have been in a far better cap position during the important time of free agency by releasing Breaston outright as the Chiefs did.
The real purpose of the June 1 designation option is to benefit teams that have poor salary cap situations and need to either create space for rookie signings over the summer months or to cut players from the roster whose dead money charges are greater than their charge to remain on the team. In recent years this would be teams like the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders who have entered into some overpriced contracts for multiple players leaving them tight against the cap every season. The acceleration from one of these underperforming players would put the team over the cap or close enough to it to make it difficult to sign the draft class. Often waiting until June 1 is not an option because of offseason bonus money that would be due to the player if he is on the roster so the only option is to designate him a June 1 cut. So the rule gives the team the ability to avoid paying the player a bloated salary while also avoiding more cap problems. But by no means is it going to be a way to spend more money in the early stages of free agency and it does nothing to improve a teams cap position in March.

*****TAKEN FROM THE INTERNET******

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

Jay Cutler's contract is not going to be touched this year. They did just sign it after all. If they had wanted to change the structure, they would have done it that way in the first place.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Cutler's contract is not going to be touched this year. They did just sign it after all. If they had wanted to change the structure, they would have done it that way in the first place.

Thank you. I was getting tired of seeing that posted as a legit possibility.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dead money on peppers has to be paid. 8 million dollars can be split between two seasons if they wait til after june first, thats four million this year, four million next year. If they cut him now, the whole 8 million counts against next years cap and cant split it, but splitting it means 4 million counts against the 2015 cap.

All Bonus money counts towards the cap. Converting salary to signing bonus was the way teams tried to circumvent the cap. That was the change in the CBA. They dont have to pay it this year, but they will have to pay it and it counts towards the cap. Jays 22 million can be converted but it WILL all count against the cap eventually. So the twenty million dollars I am talking about is deferring peppers (4 million), say, half of cutler (11 million), parts of jennings, slausen and robbie and you are gonna be close to 20 million. That is the route this gm seems to want to take. This talk that Jays contract is not so bad because its basically a three year deal, all that means is its guaranteed money and will count 52 million against the cap over the next four or 5 seasons if he gets released before the third year. Dont be surprised if some of Marshalls 9.5 million ends up getting deferred too.

Its pretty clear you dont realize signing bonus money counts against the cap.

If it didnt, why wouldnt all the teams sign a guy to a dollar contract with a 10 million dollar signing bonus?

Always said I'm no cap guru. Thanks for the explanation.
But I think all the Bears need is Jay's & Pep's contracts redone to build a good D.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been drinking,:lol:. With Stien(spelling?) as the cap guru. I would leave nothing as impossible.
He probably draws contracts up, in way he could change them later.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always said I'm no cap guru. Thanks for the explanation.
But I think all the Bears need is Jay's & Pep's contracts redone to build a good D.

the best boards are where members go find information and we somehow all become smarter with a simple discussion.

This was the most information I found. » Over the Cap- Chicago Bears 2013 Salary Cap and Contracts

Shows these "Dead money" hits which are the dollars that are moved when restructuring deals. Look to that bottom table to see dead money on players we dont even know.

I just dont like the road they are on. If you swallow jays 22 million dollar hit, his cap hits after that are barely 12-13 million per year. They move it around and it gets 16-19 each season.

I think the reason they wrote all the contracts this way is for the simple reason that we just dont draft well. If Emery hits on three draft picks that become starters, thats three cheap starters, which is what we need when you are paying top dollar to QB,RB, TE and receiver. If you hit on the draft and dont sign some overpaid free agents, you leave the cap hit alone. If you fail again on the draft and need to overpay for free agents, you need to move that money to gamble on hitting on next years draft. When you dont have the money to over pay, you end up with Andersons and DJ williams coming cheap on one year deals that played to that salary and were pretty bad.

Our bigger problem is he is not getting hometown discounts on Jennings, Cutler, Slausen or Forte. Not even Robbie, who for all intensive purposes is gonna kick field goals if they scratch kickoffs and extra points. The money he is giving these guys, you can lure free agents here.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the best boards are where members go find information and we somehow all become smarter with a simple discussion.

This was the most information I found. » Over the Cap- Chicago Bears 2013 Salary Cap and Contracts

Shows these "Dead money" hits which are the dollars that are moved when restructuring deals. Look to that bottom table to see dead money on players we dont even know.

I just dont like the road they are on. If you swallow jays 22 million dollar hit, his cap hits after that are barely 12-13 million per year. They move it around and it gets 16-19 each season.

I think the reason they wrote all the contracts this way is for the simple reason that we just dont draft well. If Emery hits on three draft picks that become starters, thats three cheap starters, which is what we need when you are paying top dollar to QB,RB, TE and receiver. If you hit on the draft and dont sign some overpaid free agents, you leave the cap hit alone. If you fail again on the draft and need to overpay for free agents, you need to move that money to gamble on hitting on next years draft. When you dont have the money to over pay, you end up with Andersons and DJ williams coming cheap on one year deals that played to that salary and were pretty bad.

Our bigger problem is he is not getting hometown discounts on Jennings, Cutler, Slausen or Forte. Not even Robbie, who for all intensive purposes is gonna kick field goals if they scratch kickoffs and extra points. The money he is giving these guys, you can lure free agents here.

Unfortunately guys who produce get paid. Actually think Matt is underpaid for what he does for this team.
Hometown discounts are a myth. They're for guys past their prime, and not really wanted by other teams.
It's been a while since I can recall a player taking 1.