• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do we get it done?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my thoughts. We need 2 quality safeties, 3 DTs (only because I don't think Melton will be the player he once was, Collins might not be either.) JMO. And 3 DEs. And a starting CB ( if peanut isn't resigned).
Garza is a FA. So there is potential to have to fill that spot also.
That's 10 spots to fill w/7 draft picks.
Pep being cut , would open the way to 2 quality FAs. DE Johnson from Cincy would be first on my list. 2ND would be 1 of the quality safeties available ( since we can't draft 1) .
I have no idea how the DT position gets fixed. Besides a Ratliff resigning, a Pick, and someone comes back 100%.
The only FAs I think the Bears need to resign are Peanut & Wooton.
These are just my thoughts. I'd like to read yours.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson(27) from cincy is going to get overpaid and he only had 3.5 sacks. He couldn't handle the double teaming he got after Smith went out...........we need to get better but not at the risk of having a bunch of dead money around like with Julius. A safety would be nice but as we all know free agents are almost always overpayed. A lot of good to above average players will be avaliable in the coming weeks. Melton(28) would be wise to come back to the Bears, take a pay cut and prove himself over again. The list of DT's and DE's is amazing.......of course it would be nice to get all the top players but that just isn't going to happen. Emery need to concentrate on getting bodies in here that want to compete...a mix of young and veteran players becase you can't get too young....veteran leadership is always needed. How about Louis Delmas(26) as a safety? He has had some injuries but at least he can play and is young...plus we keep him from the Lions. I wonder how Justin Tuck(31)would be as a situational pass rusher. Linval Joseph(25) is an intriging name. Run stoppers are a need on this team. Anthony Spencer(30) is a name to think about. A veteran center would be nice someone who has 3-5 year starting experience. Ryan Wendell(28) comes to mind.Evan Detrich-Smith(28) we can steal him from the packers. Everson Griffith(26) will probably be a tad cheaper than Johnson(27) and we take him from the Vikings. How about LaGarrette Blount(27) as a back up rb? Pat McAfee(27)is an avalable punter. A lot of good names out there..this is going to be a telling off seson for the man who put a lot of stock in one year contracts. We have 29(?) players signed as f today. We need a lot of players. Trading down to get extra picks wouldn't be a bad idea......#14 is valued at 1100. Trade down around 25-28 and get a an extra 2nd and 3rd......this is going to get I teresting to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leo, wall of text demon you!

63bears40, It appears to be daunting and probably one reason why I don't see the Bears cutting Peppers, just to many bodies are needed without making another hole, that would be the argument for keeping him anyway, maybe a restructure?

Emery has his work cut out for him for sure, because not only are those all holes, but there are a ton of starting holes that need quality fills, not scrub fills. This will be interesting to watch.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

63bears40, It appears to be daunting and probably one reason why I don't see the Bears cutting Peppers, just to many bodies are needed without making another hole, that would be the argument for keeping him anyway, maybe a restructure?

Emery has his work cut out for him for sure, because not only are those all holes, but there are a ton of starting holes that need quality fills, not scrub fills. This will be interesting to watch.

If the Bears don't cut Peppers, they're going to struggle to sign their draft picks. More or less be able to fill holes in FA.

Peppers is, at the very least, taking a sizable pay cut. Not a snowball's chance in hell the Bears pay him 18 mil to stay. Cutting him loose is likely the best move. Time to move on from players on the back end of their career. He was, at best, a slightly above average DE last year.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:
Johnson(27) from cincy is going to get overpaid and he only had 3.5 sacks. He couldn't handle the double teaming he got after Smith went out...........we need to get better but not at the risk of having a bunch of dead money around like with Julius. A safety would be nice but as we all know free agents are almost always overpayed. A lot of good to above average players will be avaliable in the coming weeks. Melton(28) would be wise to come back to the Bears, take a pay cut and prove himself over again. The list of DT's and DE's is amazing.......of course it would be nice to get all the top players but that just isn't going to happen. Emery need to concentrate on getting bodies in here that want to compete...a mix of young and veteran players becase you can't get too young....veteran leadership is always needed. How about Louis Delmas(26) as a safety? He has had some injuries but at least he can play and is young...plus we keep him from the Lions. I wonder how Justin Tuck(31)would be as a situational pass rusher. Linval Joseph(25) is an intriging name. Run stoppers are a need on this team. Anthony Spencer(30) is a name to think about. A veteran center would be nice someone who has 3-5 year starting experience. Ryan Wendell(28) comes to mind.Evan Detrich-Smith(28) we can steal him from the packers. Everson Griffith(26) will probably be a tad cheaper than Johnson(27) and we take him from the Vikings. How about LaGarrette Blount(27) as a back up rb? Pat McAfee(27)is an avalable punter. A lot of good names out there..this is going to be a telling off seson for the man who put a lot of stock in one year contracts. We have 29(?) players signed as f today. We need a lot of players. Trading down to get extra picks wouldn't be a bad idea......#14 is valued at 1100. Trade down around 25-28 and get a an extra 2nd and 3rd......this is going to get I teresting to say the least.

:suds:Great post Leo. Delmas made 6 mil last year . Don't know what he's asking for, but would love to see him & Harper as our starting safeties. Youth & vet leadership.
I love Johnson, reminds me of young Pep. Just think him and Wooton would be amazing w/a couple good DTs.
Yes Phil has a lot of work to be done . Just trying to figure it out . Before it happens. That's what the off season is for , for us fans.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cutting Pep , will probably enable us to get 2 quality FA. 1 could be a DE.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if peppers is cut, there is still over 8 million that goes to him this season, thats his dead money, at least its close to the increase in the cap which should allow at least a really good defensive end. If you can get two really good ones for 5 million each you can get two, or one big money guy this year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears don't cut Peppers, they're going to struggle to sign their draft picks. More or less be able to fill holes in FA.

Peppers is, at the very least, taking a sizable pay cut. Not a snowball's chance in hell the Bears pay him 18 mil to stay. Cutting him loose is likely the best move. Time to move on from players on the back end of their career. He was, at best, a slightly above average DE last year.

Peppers cap hit is 18 mil, that's not what he's going to make if he stays around. I think that's more like around $8-10 mil. I think if the Bears cut him straight, they still take an $8mil hit to the cap. So you gain maybe $10mil, with $8 of it going to someone like Bennett from Seattle, which then leaves you still needing to fill other holes with only an added... $2mil? You really didn't solve anything.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, not exactly. With the increased cap we can sign the picks, but any haul in free agency will be meager.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another "out" if the Bears wish to use it, they can convert any of the Cutler $22mil this year into signing bonus and have additional cap room up to $15-$18mil.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another "out" if the Bears wish to use it, they can convert any of the Cutler $22mil this year into signing bonus and have additional cap room up to $15-$18mil.

I just want them to swallow Jays cap hit or we are gonna have the same discussion we are having with peppers with dead money. Doesnt matter if its bonus or salary, its gonna go against the cap. If they make the adjustment after june first, they can split the cap hit between the next two years. to me its one hit this year and room in 15 and 16. You keep passing it along with Jay, Jennings and Slausen, all three contracts can be moved as they please, eventually you are taking it up the ass when they all come due. Then 2015 and on I think Jays cap hit is only 12-14 million.

swallow or take it up the ass. Since they wrote the three deals with the space, I say the fans will be taking it up the ass.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers cap hit is 18 mil, that's not what he's going to make if he stays around. I think that's more like around $8-10 mil. I think if the Bears cut him straight, they still take an $8mil hit to the cap. So you gain maybe $10mil, with $8 of it going to someone like Bennett from Seattle, which then leaves you still needing to fill other holes with only an added... $2mil? You really didn't solve anything.

10 mil absolutely can get you two quality defensive lineman on the right side of 30.

Yes, you did.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if peppers is cut, there is still over 8 million that goes to him this season, thats his dead money, at least its close to the increase in the cap which should allow at least a really good defensive end. If you can get two really good ones for 5 million each you can get two, or one big money guy this year.

From what I've read. If Pep is cut after June 1. His dead money 8 mil , could be spread over 2 yrs. I'm no cap guru. But cutting Pep @ June 2. Only 4 mil would count against the cap. And open 10 mil to sign other players.
No brain er .

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add . Unfortunately most major FAs will be signed by 6/1.
Just hope Phil was talking to agents at the combine.:lol:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read the rules.

If Emery is talking to agents its called tampering and is frowned upon by the NFL.......MARCH 8 is the date he can start talking to agents the Bears can designate Peppers as a June 1 cut so it is a non story if the are gonna cut him or not. They can sign whoever they want kniwing how much they have by cutting Peppers.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read. If Pep is cut after June 1. His dead money 8 mil , could be spread over 2 yrs. I'm no cap guru. But cutting Pep @ June 2. Only 4 mil would count against the cap. And open 10 mil to sign other players.
No brain er .

Yeah, thats is what I said, spread it over two years, but you add the part of the 22 million for cutler, half of jennings, slausens and robbies money, and dead money next year jumps another 10-15 or 20 million? IS that the trend you want to see them using? They are extending our own players at top dollar, no discounts just to have the opportunity to continue pushing dead money back until you get to be seattle, You know, with what everyone claims is no chance on resigning the players that just won the superbowl. No brain er?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Bears decide to deem Peppers a June 1st cut, they can spend the money that the Peppers cut will eventually bring them prior to June 1st. So, that's irrelevant.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, thats is what I said, spread it over two years, but you add the part of the 22 million for cutler, half of jennings, slausens and robbies money, and dead money next year jumps another 10-15 or 20 million? IS that the trend you want to see them using? They are extending our own players at top dollar, no discounts just to have the opportunity to continue pushing dead money back until you get to be seattle, You know, with what everyone claims is no chance on resigning the players that just won the superbowl. No brain er?

I really don't know what you're talking about.
I was talking about Pep's contract. That's all.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears decide to deem Peppers a June 1st cut, they can spend the money that the Peppers cut will eventually bring them prior to June 1st. So, that's irrelevant.

I've said it before. I'm no cap guru.
Just thought there might be a penalty for going over the cap.