• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Houston "you have a problem", the Texas Rangers 9/14-17

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bacsik put it this way. Oakland suffered once they got rid of him and the Mets are much better off with him.

He played 663 games with Oakland, and he's only played 42 with the Mets. He also played 51 with Boston, and 102 Detroit with both of these teams letting him move on.

That's 816 games with 3 teams, and only 42 while shining in NYC.

The guy obviously has huge talent. And maybe at the age of 29 (30 in Oct) he's matured and he'll utilize his natural talent for the next 5 years or more. But maybe he's going to revert back to being a pouty child. I'm just leery of a guy who has looked like the best player in the game for 42 and a man child for the other 3 1/2 years.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played 663 games with Oakland, and he's only played 42 with the Mets. He also played 51 with Boston, and 102 Detroit with both of these teams letting him move on.

The guy obviously has huge talent. And maybe at the age of 29 (30 in Oct) he's matured and he'll utilize his natural talent for the next 5 years or more. But maybe he's going to revert back to being a pouty child. I'm just leery of a guy who has looked like the best player in the game for 42 and a man child for the other 3 1/2 years.
Never argue with a Sooner. I agree with you

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We had a two time MVP in RF once who pouted at times and acted childish at times so I can put up with some of that if he puts up big numbers. Maybe we won't have to give Yeonis baggy pants to wear in an exhibition game. lol

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice of Rasmus to make those 3 really great throws last night. Air mailed one over the catchers head on a throw that should not have been made, missed the cut off that pretty much allowed Fielder to score from 1st and then tried to kill the gopher who stuck his head out of the ground on the winning SAC fly.
Those were seriously 3 of the worst throws I've ever seen one outfielder make. I can't decide which was worse, the throw home from shallow left which almost went over the backstop netting, or the throw home from shallow center which bounced near the pitcher's mound. Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch were exchanging texts laughing at his expense.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a two time MVP in RF once who pouted at times and acted childish at times so I can put up with some of that if he puts up big numbers. Maybe we won't have to give Yeonis baggy pants to wear in an exhibition game. lol

IF......and there in lies the rub. Look, every word of praise all you guys have said about him is true. His talent is unquestionable and undeniable.

But 3 teams who were not unhappy to see him go, even with all that talent, and at the end of this season, someone's going to give this guy $100 million. Maybe more; maybe a lot more. And I'm not saying he's not worth it, IF he puts up those big numbers. But that's one Big Old IF IMO.

Right now he's played 7% of his career while putting up those iffy numbers for the future. I granted you all the man has the talent. But do you want to pay $100 mil over 5 years? That just scares me some.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were seriously 3 of the worst throws I've ever seen one outfielder make. I can't decide which was worse, the throw home from shallow left which almost went over the backstop netting, or the throw home from shallow center which bounced near the pitcher's mound. Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch were exchanging texts laughing at his expense.
HA! Good one. Maybe Salty would know the answer to this but can an OFer have the yips? :heh:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should've made him change his favorite teams are part of the bet too. :D

That wasn't part of the deal, first of all.....Nor was giving you a second chance of getting your Sooner avatar correct.

I did more than my fair share of taking it on the chin.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that I find interesting right now is I am not even sure there are 3 teams. KC has shown some holes in their starting pitching and that can be the same issue with Toronto. I am not seeing a real powerhouse. As usual it will be the team that is playing the best ball at the end of the year.
I agree with this 100%.

Yes, the Rangers do have a very imperfect team that is anything but dominant. But there isn't one single team in the AL that is complete.

The Royals' pitching is a complete mess. Cueto has been horrible in the AL and Volquez has regressed big time in the last few months. Holland has been getting hammered with significant loss in velocity since his return, and Herrera has been bad too.

The Astros have 3 great hitters and 2 great starting pitchers. That's it. The rest of their team is very inconsistent- sometimes good, sometimes hard to watch. Gregerson can blow saves with the best of them.

The Yankees have Tanaka and then shaky guys like Severino and Pineda. Plus their hitters are like ours- mostly old and inconsistent.

The Blue Jays have 1 proven playoff caliber starting pitcher and an unspectacular bullpen. They are probably the best team in the AL, but not a perfect one.

There is no reason why we can't make a run to the World Series just due to the other teams having flaws too.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF......and there in lies the rub. Look, every word of praise all you guys have said about him is true. His talent is unquestionable and undeniable.

But 3 teams who were not unhappy to see him go, even with all that talent, and at the end of this season, someone's going to give this guy $100 million. Maybe more; maybe a lot more. And I'm not saying he's not worth it, IF he puts up those big numbers. But that's one Big Old IF IMO.

Right now he's played 7% of his career while putting up those iffy numbers for the future. I granted you all the man has the talent. But do you want to pay $100 mil over 5 years? That just scares me some.
He had a good year his first year in 2012 and then 2013 not so much average wise. Brought it up some in 2014 but this year has been solid the entire year. Detroit moved a lot of players so I cannot say Detroit moved Cespedes because of issues this year. I think they just wanted to make sure they got something in return since he is a free agent and Detroit was tanking or Dombrowski thought so. And how many players stay in Oakland. Now Boston is another whole can of worms but this is the same team that did not resign Beltre.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this 100%.

Yes, the Rangers do have a very imperfect team that is anything but dominant. But there isn't one single team in the AL that is complete.

The Royals' pitching is a complete mess. Cueto has been horrible in the AL and Volquez has regressed big time in the last few months. Holland has been getting hammered with significant loss in velocity since his return, and Herrera has been bad too.

The Astros have 3 great hitters and 2 great starting pitchers. That's it. The rest of their team is very inconsistent- sometimes good, sometimes hard to watch. Gregerson can blow saves with the best of them.

The Yankees have Tanaka and then shaky guys like Severino and Pineda. Plus their hitters are like ours- mostly old and inconsistent.

The Blue Jays have 1 proven playoff caliber starting pitcher and an unspectacular bullpen. They are probably the best team in the AL, but not a perfect one.

There is no reason why we can't make a run to the World Series just due to the other teams having flaws too.
Well put.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't part of the deal, first of all.....Nor was giving you a second chance of getting your Sooner avatar correct.

I did more than my fair share of taking it on the chin.

Right. It might be a fun twist to any avy bet next time though.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this 100%.

I seem to remember the 2010 Giants and 2011 Cardinals not exactly fitting the description of dominant too. They just got hot at exactly the right time.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to remember the 2010 Giants and 2011 Cardinals not exactly fitting the description of dominant too. They just got hot at exactly the right time.
Right. I was referring to that earlier today. Right now I would not consider ourselves hot but we are on the upswing. Well, except for our starters. But there are possibilities there.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I was referring to that earlier today. Right now I would not consider ourselves hot but we are on the upswing. Well, except for our starters. But there are possibilities there.

Gimme Hamels, Dutch, and Lewis in any playoff series. I honestly don't care what Colby's numbers for the season say. That guy shows up biggest when the lights shine brightest in playoffs.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching PTI on ESPN and Tony Kornheiser (co-host) just said this re: the Rangers or the Astro's: "I don't know who's managing the Rangers but he must be doing a great job."

Lord Almighty.........Is that just inept, and pathetic or what? What does this man have to do all day, everyday, and how much support staff does he have, in order to prepare to do a frigging 30 minute program?

That's not just disrespectfully; it's unprofessional, by definition.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme Hamels, Dutch, and Lewis in any playoff series. I honestly don't care what Colby's numbers for the season say. That guy shows up biggest when the lights shine brightest in playoffs.
Agree. And I feel Dutch can get it going before season's end. So while they have struggled some of late I still feel that all 3 have proved themselves in the playoffs before. The Rangers to me have as good a chance as anyone. Just have to see how they end the season.