• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watched that tonight, not bad. Troll hunter I think was better and far more scary, but this had a decent take on it... very much kind of a spin on the Godzilla Broderick movie... some campy/cheesy characters, the stupid/ignorant military, and the cliche main hero as the 'SCIENTIST' that is recruited to be knowledgeable but then nobody believes him/her lol... but it had some decent effects.

I think it lost some of it's momentum in the second half, but hey... still okay. Be prepared to watch it in subtitles if English is your only language.

I think I'd give the first 1/3 a 7 or so out of 10, and then the middle a 5'ish, and the final third a 4 or so.... maybe an average of 5.x... but that doesn't make it a bad movie by any stretch. Good creature feature...

But trollhunter is still the better film. But no reason this isn't worth a watch.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed. I was bigger on Krampus than most. Loved the fact that it was tailored towards holiday lore & family audiences. Most of my friends thought it was cheesy as hell, but I loved it.

Did you ever see Better Watch Out (2016)? Pretty sure we've talked about it together a few times. Highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Oh yah, that movie was crazy. The paint can scene was wild lol.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been WAY behind on horror movies this year... But so far this is how I'd rank what I've watched:

1. Barbarian... Best I've seen thus far.
2. Prey (not really horror, but worth a creature-feature shout-out)
3. Smile... Clever movie tailored for younger audiences. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it.
12. Jeepers Creepers: Reborn... Very low budget lol, but at least it didn't pretend to be something more than a B-horror. I can appreciate that lol. And it helps us forget about that abomination JC3.
13. The Black Phone... Disappointed with this one. Trailers had me thinking it would be more than it turned out to be.

Felt the need to respond to these 5:

Barbarian: Not bad... interesting take... pretty messed up once you understand the background of the story. Pretty good suspense though. I can't take Justin Long seriously in most horror movies these days, but I do appreciate his acting. He was great in Tusk.

Prey: Yah, disappointed in this one. It's literally been done before with I believe a 2007 movie called.... Prey... lmao. Like this was just lazy about it. The lion acted ridiculous, the girls were annoying... meh. I had high hopes but went in with low expectations and it was still not that great. Ghost and the Darkness is still the best lion movie.

Smile: Yah sorry ghost movies and paranormal crap just don't scare me. That and for some reason I couldn't stop saying aloud or in my head: "SMILE YOU'RE AT MR SMILIES!" from American Beauty which made me burst out laughing every time the ghost thing or whatever smiled. I was laughing harder at this movie because I couldn't get that out of my head than I was kept in suspense lol. And in defense I think I had just re-watched American Beauty like a month before. And then the ending you KNOW what is going to happen, c'mon... and again I burst out laughing cause Kevin Spacey... I mean I guess I entertained myself, so whatever lol.

Jeepers Creepers: Always liked the first and the 2nd was okay. I'll have to check this out, didn't know a new one was out.

Black Phone: I was falling asleep. I got halfway through it, tried picking it up the next day, and about 2/3 of the way through I was just clicking to the end to find out what happened. Yah for some reason the trailers and hype this movie somehow got from screeners and Hollywood set my expectations WAY too high.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felt the need to respond to these 5:

Barbarian: Not bad... interesting take... pretty messed up once you understand the background of the story. Pretty good suspense though. I can't take Justin Long seriously in most horror movies these days, but I do appreciate his acting. He was great in Tusk.

Prey: Yah, disappointed in this one. It's literally been done before with I believe a 2007 movie called.... Prey... lmao. Like this was just lazy about it. The lion acted ridiculous, the girls were annoying... meh. I had high hopes but went in with low expectations and it was still not that great. Ghost and the Darkness is still the best lion movie.

Smile: Yah sorry ghost movies and paranormal crap just don't scare me. That and for some reason I couldn't stop saying aloud or in my head: "SMILE YOU'RE AT MR SMILIES!" from American Beauty which made me burst out laughing every time the ghost thing or whatever smiled. I was laughing harder at this movie because I couldn't get that out of my head than I was kept in suspense lol. And in defense I think I had just re-watched American Beauty like a month before. And then the ending you KNOW what is going to happen, c'mon... and again I burst out laughing cause Kevin Spacey... I mean I guess I entertained myself, so whatever lol.

Jeepers Creepers: Always liked the first and the 2nd was okay. I'll have to check this out, didn't know a new one was out.

Black Phone: I was falling asleep. I got halfway through it, tried picking it up the next day, and about 2/3 of the way through I was just clicking to the end to find out what happened. Yah for some reason the trailers and hype this movie somehow got from screeners and Hollywood set my expectations WAY too high.
Terrifier 2?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coincidently, watching your recommendation Abominable right now.

Will write up a review tomorrow or so.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Decent movie with a good cast & story but I'll be honest it was somewhat forgettable. Definitely worth the watch though.
I think I've seen it but I'm not 100% sure. I keep blending Black Death and Season of the Witch in my mind.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Salem's lot scene fucked me up for months.

My skateboard was in the basement ...I kept telling my friends one of the wheels broke off.
Screw that ...I'm not going down there to get it.
Those 2 scenes I posted still creep me out to this very day! Unsettling stuff.

Tobe Hooper was a bit up and down in his career but he was masterful when he hit it.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As per @Sharkonabicycle recommendation:

Abominable (2006)-

So the guy that replaced Steve Guttenberg in the Police Academy movies is brought back to the area where his wife died and he was left paralyzed in a climbing accident. Apparently this is part of his psychological recovery treatment (instead of his doctor he is accompanied by an abusive medical attendant for some reason). They settle into his house which, rather importantly to the plot, is not at all handicapped accessible. Then a group of 5 girls show up next door for a party weekend, and a Bigfoot takes out the telephone service and starts offing folks one at a time until things escalate into a battle for survival finale!

I'm a bit torn on this one. Some fun stuff and violence surrounded by some questionable storytelling.

The good:
*A star studded cast! But most of that fun is in bit roles outside of the main plot.
However you can't go wrong with Jeffery Combs, Lance Henriksen (2 of my alltime fav B movie guys!), Dee Wallace Stone, Rex Linn (you've seen him in a ton of stuff), and Paul Gleason (again, a ton of stuff but most notably the teacher in The Breakfast Club, Die Hard, and Trading Places).
Combs hams it up with a big redneck wig, coke bottle glasses, and an oxygen tube, and Lance has a bizarre speech about a man who superglues his hands to the back of a hippo, and then gets drowned in hippo shit as the animal had been fed a laxative!! (Seriously, WtF was that?!?)

*A fun evil bigfoot. The creature is big and evil looking with glowing eyes for some reason. His perpetually pissed off face is both ridiculous and kinda fun, and he (persumably a male?) is hellbent on attacking people in the area for some reason.

*Some of the violence and bloody gore is well done enough, but there isn't enough of it.

*The overall story is decent enough, but the execution is spotty at best. It is essentially Rear Window (if the neighbors had kept calling Jimmy Stewart a pervert for looking through his binoculars) blended with a rampaging giant creature.

The bad:
*A lack of character development for the lead. The give his backstory but don't delve into it deep enough.

*The girls next door are basically afterthoughts. When they are standing around talking I swear to god they didn't have any written dialogue and the director just said "You are arriving here for a party weekend with your friends. Go!", or "You are concerned because your friend missing. Action!" etc.

*A SyFy channel level overall feel. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it would be upper echelon for a SyFy feature. So it is enjoyable from that perspective if you are prepared going in.
But it seemingly has trouble deciding to whether it should be a serious feature or a comedic one so it bounces a bit back and forth.

*Too many offscreen kills. Show us more carnage!!

All in all, a decently fun yet flawed watch. I'll go 5.5 to 6ish outta 10, and that is with a half point bonus for the supporting cast.

That being said the lead, Matt McCoy (the low rent Steve Guttenberg guy) puts in a too one-note performance for my liking. Basically he just comes off as "mildly concerned" the entire time, whether nothing is happening, or the shit is hitting the fan.
They should have begged Jeffery Combs to take the lead, and seriously upped the gore, but apparently the director is buds with McCoy and wrote the part for him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As per @Sharkonabicycle recommendation:

Abominable (2006)-

So the guy that replaced Steve Guttenberg in the Police Academy movies is brought back to the area where his wife died and he was left paralyzed in a climbing accident. Apparently this is part of his psychological recovery treatment (instead of his doctor he is accompanied by an abusive medical attendant for some reason). They settle into his house which, rather importantly to the plot, is not at all handicapped accessible. Then a group of 5 girls show up next door for a party weekend, and a Bigfoot takes out the telephone service and starts offing folks one at a time until things escalate into a battle for survival finale!

I'm a bit torn on this one. Some fun stuff and violence surrounded by some questionable storytelling.

The good:
*A star studded cast! But most of that fun is in bit roles outside of the main plot.
However you can't go wrong with Jeffery Combs, Lance Henriksen (2 of my alltime fav B movie guys!), Dee Wallace Stone, Rex Linn (you've seen him in a ton of stuff), and Paul Gleason (again, a ton of stuff but most notably the teacher in The Breakfast Club, Die Hard, and Trading Places).
Combs hams it up with a big redneck wig, coke bottle glasses, and an oxygen tube, and Lance has a bizarre speech about a man who superglues his hands to the back of a hippo, and then gets drowned in hippo shit as the animal had been fed a laxative!! (Seriously, WtF was that?!?)

*A fun evil bigfoot. The creature is big and evil looking with glowing eyes for some reason. His perpetually pissed off face is both ridiculous and kinda fun, and he (persumably a male?) is hellbent on attacking people in the area for some reason.

*Some of the violence and bloody gore is well done enough, but there isn't enough of it.

*The overall story is decent enough, but the execution is spotty at best. It is essentially Rear Window (if the neighbors had kept calling Jimmy Stewart a pervert for looking through his binoculars) blended with a rampaging giant creature.

The bad:
*A lack of character development for the lead. The give his backstory but don't delve into it deep enough.

*The girls next door are basically afterthoughts. When they are standing around talking I swear to god they didn't have any written dialogue and the director just said "You are arriving here for a party weekend with your friends. Go!", or "You are concerned because your friend missing. Action!" etc.

*A SyFy channel level overall feel. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it would be upper echelon for a SyFy feature. So it is enjoyable from that perspective if you are prepared going in.
But it seemingly has trouble deciding to whether it should be a serious feature or a comedic one so it bounces a bit back and forth.

*Too many offscreen kills. Show us more carnage!!

All in all, a decently fun yet flawed watch. I'll go 5.5 to 6ish outta 10, and that is with a half point bonus for the supporting cast.

That being said the lead, Matt McCoy (the low rent Steve Guttenberg guy) puts in a too one-note performance for my liking. Basically he just comes off as "mildly concerned" the entire time, whether nothing is happening, or the shit is hitting the fan.
They should have begged Jeffery Combs to take the lead, and seriously upped the gore, but apparently the director is buds with McCoy and wrote the part for him.

All fair points. About a 6'ish at best is where I'd be with it... probably still in the 5s.... but pretty good for a lower budget squatch movie and I enjoy any attempts at practical effects (the abominable face looked a little bleh, but the rest was decent) with a creature feature. The beginning scene built up some good tension as well.

The camping scene with Henrikson and Combs and the rhino story - I can't help but laugh my ass off every time. Lance just delivers the story so well and Combs' reaction is hilarious.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All fair points. About a 6'ish at best is where I'd be with it... probably still in the 5s.... but pretty good for a lower budget squatch movie and I enjoy any attempts at practical effects (the abominable face looked a little bleh, but the rest was decent) with a creature feature. The beginning scene built up some good tension as well.
I actually thought the bigfoot face was pretty funny, and a bit scary at the same time! I wish that they had made it so the features would change instead of one unmoving evil face though.
The camping scene with Henrikson and Combs and the rhino story - I can't help but laugh my ass off every time. Lance just delivers the story so well and Combs' reaction is hilarious.
Apparently that scene was filmed a couple months after the main production had wrapped.

I like to think that Henriksen had the crazed, over-top-speech planned out in his head, and that Combs was hearing it for the first time, and thinking "What the fuck is he doing?!?"

I then imagine the 2 of them and Rex Linn going to a local bar afterwards, and having a few drinks and laughing about it!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched that tonight, not bad. Troll hunter I think was better and far more scary, but this had a decent take on it... very much kind of a spin on the Godzilla Broderick movie... some campy/cheesy characters, the stupid/ignorant military, and the cliche main hero as the 'SCIENTIST' that is recruited to be knowledgeable but then nobody believes him/her lol... but it had some decent effects.

I think it lost some of it's momentum in the second half, but hey... still okay. Be prepared to watch it in subtitles if English is your only language.

I think I'd give the first 1/3 a 7 or so out of 10, and then the middle a 5'ish, and the final third a 4 or so.... maybe an average of 5.x... but that doesn't make it a bad movie by any stretch. Good creature feature...

But trollhunter is still the better film. But no reason this isn't worth a watch.
I agree with this.

Started off ok, but then just kind of ran out of ideas and was meh.
Worth a watch, though.