• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.....time to slog through some average to crap level stuff:

Secret Window (2004)-
A writer (Depp) is harassed by a crazed man (John Turturro) who claims Depp stole his story. Concerns escalate. Threats are made, and carried out. Things spiral out of control.
A decent flick. I saw it before and remember thinking it was ok to good. After watching it again now, I'm leaning more into the ok verdict.
It has some budget, and a competent cast and crew. The acting is decent with the leads being good. All aspects are generally well done.......with the possible exception of the story itself. The direction, acting, cinematography, etc are all solid.
I am a huge Stephen King fan, but this one falls into a self-indulgent trap that he often has trouble avoiding. I understand writing what you know but the 200th story from King where the main antagonist/protagonist professional writer is more than a bit redundant. Still, that isn't really the issue here as it is the interactions between Depp and Shooter (Turturro) that comes off as odd. It does become apparent as to why later, but it still rings a bit hollow imo.
6.5ish outta 10. A decent enough flick but not top notch King.

Escape Room (2017)-

So I thought this one was talked about before on these boards, and to generally positive reviews, but that wasn't this movie. This is the 2017 Escape Room, and not the more popular 2019 movie. In fact it isn't the other 2017 Escape Room, nor the 2018, 2020, 2022, etc movie. Nor is it any of the dozen other similarly titled movies from these recent years.

Anyways, decently shot, scored, etc. It looks and feels professional enough. The acting ranges from ok to not great though. The story is a Saw rip off. The characters are all unlikable douchebags, which is a problem.
On the plus side, there are some decent fxs. There is some skin melting stuff that is pretty fun. Also, the obvious twist isn't so it does avoid that troupe but fails on the follow up.
The story goes nowhere, and you dislike everyone.
4.5 outta 10 area from myself.

Solstice (2007)-

A bunch of teens travel to a vacation mansion somewhere down south for some party time after one of their group had committed suicide. The lead chick is then haunted by an unknown entity that is escalating the scares and violence. Things progress as expected.......but there is a twist.

Exactly what you'd expect from an early 2000s PG-13 movie starring the likes of Shawn Ashmore and Amanda Seyfried. It is done well enough, but it has been sanitized and intentionally spreads on the era's teen appeal.
It does have solid overall production in most aspects so it isn't bad but in the big picture they mostly squander a decent story.
Apparently it was a remake of a better Danish film.
Potential, but comes up a bit short, and slow moving. Also, it wastes R. Lee Emory.
I dunno, 5.5 outta 10 area?

Blood and Chocolate (2007)-
A group of werewolves rule the nights in Bucharest, but the young hottie werewolf chick who is betrothed to the pack leader falls for a young artist instead.

Much like the first 3 movies above there was some money behind the production so it looks, sounds, and feels professional enough. But the downfall is that this is straight up Twilight for European werewolves.
Shit story. Horrible sparkly transformations that try to copy the sparkly vampire Twilight stuff. Also the chocolate part of the title has nothing to do with anything.
4 to 4.5 outta 10 range for the professionally shot and edited stuff. It would be closer to 3.5 for the story, dialogue, and pandering to teenage girls aspects. Glad that it failed financially to help kill this type of crap.

......but still better than.....
Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis (2005)-

I love the original RotLD, and some of the follow ups are decent, but this one sucks. It feels like it was slammed together on a limited budget by people who just didn't give a shit.
Most everything is bad. Bad story, bad direction, bad editing, bad acting all around. Some ok fxs mixed in with mediocre.
If they removed the Trioxin aspect, and the RotLD title it would be another completely forgotten low budget zombie shitfest.
2.5 to 3 outta 10 range. Avoid.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warning....not horror related but guys like to eat so....
Screenshot_20220613-122254~2.png

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season 4 Hands GIF by The Office

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More.......
Season of the Witch (2011)-
Nicolas Cage and Ron Pearlman are grizzled veteran crusaders who desert their legion due to unjust cruelty by the commander. However they are captured and forced to face the gallows or transport a suspected witch to a holy monastery.

Another I've seen before. All in all, a kinda fun ride interspersed between rather slow progression.

There is also a problem with tonal inconsistencies. It starts out great with a very well done witch hanging scene, followed by some mostly cgi battle scenes that look pretty good but have stupid establishment dialogue. It takes itself rather seriously but has cheesy elements interspersed, particularly on the journey to, and the finale at the monastery, which devolves into full on Evil Dead type schlock!
They spent some bank on fxs, costumes, and general production values but comes off as a b-movie in overall feel.

Ron Pearlman does well, as do most of the actors, but it seems to me that Nic Cage is either not well suited for the role, or not putting in his best efforts.
Still, quite a bit of action but limited gore, and the fun peaks in between the slow.

I like it more than the masses and would go about 6 to 6.5 outta 10 despite it's faults.

When a Stranger Calls (2006)-

A hot girl takes a babysitting gig out in the middle of nowhere, and is harassed and eventually attacked by a malevolent stranger.

This is a 2000s style PG-13 remake of the 70s surprise hit and cult classic that I reviewed here awhile back. It looks good, has solid production values. The acting is ok considering it is 90%+ centered around the girl taking threatening phone calls and running from the attacker. Mostly bloodless, with little to no onscreen gore and only a couple of bodies shown.

Eh. Not bad, but not as good as the original. Kinda bland though and takes the "easy way out" in regards to how they approach it.

I'll go 5 outta 10, which might be a bit generous for the final product is predictable and rather inferior to the original.

Zombies of Mora Tau (1957)-
Back to an oldie!

A group of fortune hunters search for diamonds off the coast of Africa. There they meet an old lady and her good girl niece living on estate. They are constantly attacked by zombies, which in this pre-NotLD era are basically golems with super strength that cannot be physically hurt and fear only fire.

This one has a cool premise (zombies held by a curse on the diamonds), some fun stuff like the zombies overpowering people despite knives and gun play, but there is a bunch of laughable stuff and a serious lack of logic in the plot holes.

The production values are pretty low, and the acting ranges from decent to poor with only the expedition leader's sassy wife standing out as a positive. Also the story concludes in a way that makes little sense at. Some of the "underwater" filming and fight stuff is kinda cool.

I'll go about a 4 outta 10 area. Some cool stuff slightly elevates it, but it is probably better as a "So bad, its good" fare.

The Boys From Brazil (1978)-

A young Steve Guttenberg is a Nazi hunter who uncovers a plot in which Dr Joseph Mengle (Gregory Peck) is planning to kill 90 some seemingly random civil servants around the world. He manages to relay the info to Sir Lawrence Olivier who plays a famous but aging Nazi hunter, but is killed for his effort. Olivier then follows leads and finds that the civil servant targets are fathers who have been raising Hitler clones! Eventually their paths cross, and things escalate.......

Though it had somewhat mixed reviews on release, it also was nominated for a bunch of big awards, and won quite a few also.

A cool, yet kinda ridiculous story. Well executed, and some great acting by the leads. However it is pretty slow, anbarely squeeks into the horror catagory. It also feels more like a late 60s/very early 70s feature instead of a late 70s one.

I really liked it. I'll go 7.5 to 8 outta 10 range. Interesting storyline and great actors elevate it.

Its nice to finish on a good one for a change!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now they have some new one coming out called 'Prey' where a 'strong independent female warrior' in the 18th century who must weigh about 110 pounds soaking wet and who has barely an ounce of muscle/athleticism, has a Mulan type story and fights the Predator so Hollyweird can send... THE MESSAGE.

The men will probably oppress her until they get picked off one by one by the Predator until English settlers arrive intent to take over their land. She'll kill one and the Predator will be like, "THAT'S HONORABLE!" and then team up with her to wipe out the EVIL WHITE MEN SETTLERS and then at the end he'll put some stupid mark on her face and then take the gun as a souvenir from the evil white man boss guy that one gives to Danny Glover at the end of Predator 2.

Typical Hollyweird/Disney schlock to send, THE MESSAGE! Disney of course will take to social media and man hate and shame anyone that hates it, despite it in all likelihood being a complete shit movie (like most of the Predator sequels).

What'd be cool is if it was the 1700s the Predator's didn't have all their technology they do by the late 20th century... and we saw some different tactics or weaponry... but nope, the trailers already show them with the laser guided photon blaster (arguably one of their most powerful tech devices)... so yah. As usual Hollyweird is completely creatively bankrupt with Predator since the first outside of maybe Predator 2.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be something here in a couple months. Pretty sure they did this EXACT same story with the 2007 movie Prey, but whatever. I'm always down for a creature feature, hopefully it's rated R and doesn't solely rely on jump scares.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they have some new one coming out called 'Prey' where a 'strong independent female warrior' in the 18th century who must weigh about 110 pounds soaking wet and who has barely an ounce of muscle/athleticism, has a Mulan type story and fights the Predator so Hollyweird can send... THE MESSAGE.

The men will probably oppress her until they get picked off one by one by the Predator until English settlers arrive intent to take over their land. She'll kill one and the Predator will be like, "THAT'S HONORABLE!" and then team up with her to wipe out the EVIL WHITE MEN SETTLERS and then at the end he'll put some stupid mark on her face and then take the gun as a souvenir from the evil white man boss guy that one gives to Danny Glover at the end of Predator 2.

Typical Hollyweird/Disney schlock to send, THE MESSAGE! Disney of course will take to social media and man hate and shame anyone that hates it, despite it in all likelihood being a complete shit movie (like most of the Predator sequels).

What'd be cool is if it was the 1700s the Predator's didn't have all their technology they do by the late 20th century... and we saw some different tactics or weaponry... but nope, the trailers already show them with the laser guided photon blaster (arguably one of their most powerful tech devices)... so yah. As usual Hollyweird is completely creatively bankrupt with Predator since the first outside of maybe Predator 2.
I do loathe how the newer Predator sequels always seem to take away the menace from the Predator, relying too heavily on their weapons/gadgets & fancy cgi. Predators (2010) was the only one that did a better job of re-capturing that glory. I'd love to see one with different weapons & tactics, more aligned with the originals. Give me more Predator kills using the wristblade (Gauntlet Knives) & spears over any of the plasma tech. Way more satisfying.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do loathe how the newer Predator sequels always seem to take away the menace from the Predator, relying too heavily on their weapons/gadgets & fancy cgi. Predators (2010) was the only one that did a better job of re-capturing that glory. I'd love to see one with different weapons & tactics, more aligned with the originals. Give me more Predator kills using the wristblade (Gauntlet Knives) & spears over any of the plasma tech. Way more satisfying.

Agreed. Now it's just like, "Plasma cannon, plasma cannon, plasma cannon." Like I get it... the little red laser is cool... but c'mon, enough. It was cool in the 1st movie. The 2nd movie was entertaining (I still watch it) because they introduced the spear, the disc, the net gun, multiple vision mode, etc. Of course it wasn't as fun as the 1st, but the 2nd IMO was far and away better than any other Predator movie.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Now it's just like, "Plasma cannon, plasma cannon, plasma cannon." Like I get it... the little red laser is cool... but c'mon, enough. It was cool in the 1st movie. The 2nd movie was entertaining (I still watch it) because they introduced the spear, the disc, the net gun, multiple vision mode, etc. Of course it wasn't as fun as the 1st, but the 2nd IMO was far and away better than any other Predator movie.
I love the 2nd movie! They kept the jungle hunter tactics & applied it to a city environment... A concrete jungle if you will... And gave the kills more brutality. Honestly, I'd go as far as saying I like it BETTER than the original... but I know that's a hard thing to sell

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fan of Predators.

Would love to see a Starship Troopers vs Aliens vs Predators and maybe throw The Thing in there.
Something where the humans and the predators have to team up to stop the bigger threat.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fan of Predators.

Would love to see a Starship Troopers vs Aliens vs Predators and maybe throw The Thing in there.
Something where the humans and the predators have to team up to stop the bigger threat.
Lol... you really got my mind spinnin with this one. The possibilities are limitless!

Starship Troopers, A Quiet Place (Death Angels), Cloverfield monster with its baby parasites... vs an army of Predators

season 2 showtime GIF by Shameless

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in a kaiju or two.....
Mega Monsters reign supreme. But it would be pretty cool to see Godzilla torch a field full of Starship Trooper arachnids... if only but for a 5 second scene lol. Maybe he needs to go on a full extermination campaign

tumblr_oynk40q1tV1we0p6lo1_400.gifv

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wanted to see the Battle of Helm's Deep... everyone is all quiet... and then you see everyone at the wall kind of looking back shocked... and the T-800 from T2 (Arnold) steps forward with his minigun and grenade launcher and just starts going to town. God that'd be great.

Keep up with that count Legolas, you fuckin' Gary Stu.