• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Horrid Halos Head to Hollandless Texas

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince does deserve some credit. He may not have the power stroke he once had, but he has revamped some things and he knows how to hit for average. He still won't be worth that massive contract, but I commend him for making some needed adjustments.

If any of those guys ever gets traded we will have to eat a significant portion of their salary.

Agreed on Mr Prince. And his bat speed seems OK, not great, but OK. He may get it back yet (power that is).

When do you think ownership is gonna start taking a hard look at JD & Co?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on Mr Prince. And his bat speed seems OK, not great, but OK. He may get it back yet (power that is).

I'd pump the brakes a bit on that. JD is still one of the best GM's in baseball and has done an incredible job of rejuvenating the farm in spite of several trades made in an attempt to get over the hump when we were a 90+ win team. Yes, he needs to be held accountable, but his but shouldn't be anywhere near the hot seat.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody can't get along with everybody. For me, there are some I just don't bother with so much.

But I've got my own Achilles Heel, or two. haha

We don't need that crazy in here.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pump the brakes a bit on that. JD is still one of the best GM's in baseball and has done an incredible job of rejuvenating the farm in spite of several trades made in an attempt to get over the hump when we were a 90+ win team. Yes, he needs to be held accountable, but his but shouldn't be anywhere near the hot seat.

Magadan first, training/medical staff second.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say, as of today, I'm discouraged. But it sure might get scary as hell to think of what might be if Choo & Prince don't have bounce back years, and EA doesn't come outta his coma. There's others too, but these 3, all unto themselves, are scheduled to make almost $500 million, and have no trade value right now.

Don't care who's writing those checks, those are massive ones.

I can't believe that Choo will be as bad as he is the whole season. He's been a stud for a while and he's still fairly young. I think Choo gets traded and we end up eating about a third of his contract. I still think that may be an okay deal.

As for Prince, maybe he's just getting used to his new swing and new approach and some power will show back up.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magadan first, training/medical staff second.

Dude, the whole training/medical staff comment is a joke I hope. It's really not their fault we've had bad luck. Pitchers are dropping like flies all around baseball.

As for magadan, I'm on board.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said. Good riddance to that hefer.
Yeah. Just an example. There are more and could not think of them all. Who was the poster from Atlanta? Good poster.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they are sold on JD. They know the next wave of talent is coming soon and I believe they will patiently wait for that. JD has made some mistakes, but he hasn't had much of an opportunity to go forward from there with the tight budget that he has to work with.

JD has a history of making mistakes and learning from them and going on to do some good things. They are going to have to let him spend some more money in order to do that again. I think he messed up big time with both Prince and Choo, but they are going to have to find a way to work around that and not let those bad deals keep them from spending money on other players in the future. I hear from the local media that that is the reason the owners are being tight with their money now, but I have never really bought that anyway. The biggest reason I don't buy it is because I heard JD say they wouldn't be increasing the budget much through this past offseason even before Choo was signed and before Prince was acquired. He said that in October of 2013.

I think they really look hard to get rid of one of the contracts within the next few months. As we discussed on here a few weeks back it would appear Choo is the odd man out eventually anyway so I think they try and trade him. If Profar ever gets healthy then they might try to trade Elvis as well. It would be quite the accomplishment if they could ever trade Prince. I just don't see that happening.

So, I think JD is safe for the next couple of years.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just gonna put it out there, the Rangers are awful. They might not get 70 wins this season. Their starting pitching is weak, their bullpen isn't much better, and their offense is putrid.
It it just the way he is, a la Colby Lewis, or is it he just hasn't got it sorted out yet? He's good in stretches, but loses it for an inning also like Colby Lewis

Give him 10 starts and see if he figured it out... you can pitch up in the zone without leaving it over the middle like he has been

Like I said I was on board with this guy. I really do hope he gets it figured out as we really need him right now. Plus he knows this is his chance to prove he should be a starter.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it's not just pitchers when it comes to the Rangers.
Well lets look at Rua. Do you think the trainers/med staff had any thing to do with a fractured heel? I know you didn't say that but ......

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz is heating up. One former Ranger that really has been tearing it up is Adrian Gonzalez.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets look at Rua. Do you think the trainers/med staff had any thing to do with a fractured heel? I know you didn't say that but ......

Obviously that one specific example from a few days ago, no.

But if you look at the entirety of the Rangers situation over the past year and change, it's not a thundering criticism to suggest that the medical/training staff would benefit from some additional evaluation and/or oversight.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't making a suggestion. But you said it, accountability. And I was asking for input, from any interested party, as to what they may think the FO is thinking about the situation.

But the minor league system had to be rebuilt b/c of the moves JD & Co made in hopes of winning it all in 2010/11 and probably some wishful thinking after this. And it should be noted, the same guy participated in both the tearing down and building up.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't making a suggestion. But you said it, accountability. And I was asking for input, from any interested party, as to what they may think the FO is thinking about the situation.

But the minor league system had to be rebuilt b/c of the moves JD & Co made in hopes of winning it all in 2010/11 and probably some wishful thinking after this. And it should be noted, the same guy participated in both the tearing down and building up.

I can see where you are coming from. There were even some bad moves at the trade deadline during our good years. We may have pulled an Angels move with Choo and Fielder. I hope not but Choo is going to have to pull his head out and at least be able to play fundamental baseball in RF and get healthy which is a big concern.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously that one specific example from a few days ago, no.

But if you look at the entirety of the Rangers situation over the past year and change, it's not a thundering criticism to suggest that the medical/training staff would benefit from some additional evaluation and/or oversight.

The problem I have is if it was a specific problem, then we could address it. But look at all the various aliments which have befallen this team.

MM and Choo - ankles which had nothing to do with training, Profar got hurt sleeping and he choose a conservative approach to his recovery, and so far hasn't worked. Adducci broke a finger (twice). Holland falls down some steps, now has an upper shoulder problem. Soto got hurt while playing and was a knee problem. Harrison has a bad back.

My point is, many if not most of these problems are not training/care related IMO.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have is if it was a specific problem, then we could address it. But look at all the various aliments which have befallen this team.

MM and Choo - ankles which had nothing to do with training, Profar got hurt sleeping and he choose a conservative approach to his recovery, and so far hasn't worked. Adducci broke a finger (twice). Holland falls down some steps, now has an upper shoulder problem. Soto got hurt while playing and was a knee problem. Harrison has a bad back.

My point is, many if not most of these problems are not training/care related IMO.

You're right. I renounce my statement entirely.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where you are coming from. There were even some bad moves at the trade deadline during our good years. We may have pulled an Angels move with Choo and Fielder. I hope not but Choo is going to have to pull his head out and at least be able to play fundamental baseball in RF and get healthy which is a big concern.

I was totally on board with the Garza move and that turned out to be a rather large pile of manure. So I'm not criticizing each move. JD got the best guy he could and with some luck, he might have thrown us over the top. Didn't happen. But again, I was all in for that move.