• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horrible SS contracts of past and present collide - NYY @ TEX 7/27-7/30

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Guys

You cant have this one

I gave you Capuano, I didn't realize you wanted to one up me
If you were paying attention 3/5ths of our rotation should be in AAA. Two rehabbing from surgery and one because that is where he belongs.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying that like Hamels has a choice in the matter? Texas is one of the 10 teams he can be traded to w/o asking his permission. Houston is not.
True but you would think they would talk it over with Hamels out of principle.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were paying attention 3/5ths of our rotation should be in AAA. Two rehabbing from surgery and one because that is where he belongs.

That did dawn on me last night night

Do you guys want Hamels? Whats the concensus?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That did dawn on me last night night

Do you guys want Hamels? Whats the concensus?
Most of us do not. To me it depends what we have to give up. And if we do get Hamels it would have to be more for next year and not this year. We have a number of "ifs" with our rotation. If all come back healthy in regards to Yu Darvish, Holland, and Perez and are back in form then adding Hamels would be a really strong rotation. Not sure who would be in the 5 spot but we have a number of options. We also need to strengthen the BP. But bullpens are rather fluid situations as someone who really looks great this year may bomb out next year and vice versa.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but you would think they would talk it over with Hamels out of principle.

Why? He identified 10 teams at the beginning of the season that he would be "ok" being traded to. (w/o his approval).

So if you're in the Phillies front office - you get the best package of prospects possible and run with it. Now, if that happens to come from the Astros - then you have to ask Cole to waive his no-trade. However, if that package comes from Texas, you dont have to ask him anything.... just tell him he's been traded.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? He identified 10 teams at the beginning of the season that he would be "ok" being traded to. (w/o his approval).

So if you're in the Phillies front office - you get the best package of prospects possible and run with it. Now, if that happens to come from the Astros - then you have to ask Cole to waive his no-trade. However, if that package comes from Texas, you dont have to ask him anything.... just tell him he's been traded.

I concur. And frankly, Hamels knows full well he's on the block, desires to be gone, and therefore, no conversation is necessary. Nothing disrespectful, mean-spirited at all.

But I seriously wonder if he desires to be gone enough to go to Houston. Not trying to rag on the Astros, but that ballpark cannot be a pitchers dream setting, especially moving from the NL to the American.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine there have been too many games where a team knocks the opposing starter out in the 1st inning and then gets no-hit the rest of the way.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do we have a pitching staff? because during that game last night it didn't appear we did it looked more like our batting practice machine was trowing soft stuff up there for them to hit

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has to be at least the 3rd game where a position player came into the game this year and pitched because we were getting beat so bad.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team is done...cashed it in and playing out the string
You may be right. I will with hold judgement a little longer but when you have no pitching,hitting, middle infield errors not to mention Beltre's age then you might say they're done. Let's hope for the best.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers acquire Latos, not sure how this will affect the market for Gallardo or Hamels.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually make the done statements with so much of the season left but this team shows all the signs. It wasn't a very well built team coming into the season to begin with. It's as if they did it with mirrors for as long as they could before lack of ML talent showed itself. The lack of grit and gamers is showing itself. Many players have regressed. The two players in the everyday line-up (Elvis & Beltre) we hung our hat on for leadership have both been huge disappointments this year. Worse yet, the culture of a winning organization is all but gone in a little over two years. I still wonder about the leadership and the baseball decisions being made. It is what it is at this point. Maybe I'm wrong about all this but it sure seems much more is wrong about this team than losing two starters at the start of the season.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually make the done statements with so much of the season left but this team shows all the signs. It wasn't a very well built team coming into the season to begin with. It's as if they did it with mirrors for as long as they could before lack of ML talent showed itself. The lack of grit and gamers is showing itself. Many players have regressed. The two players in the everyday line-up (Elvis & Beltre) we hung our hat on for leadership have both been huge disappointments this year. Worse yet, the culture of a winning organization is all but gone in a little over two years. I still wonder about the leadership and the baseball decisions being made. It is what it is at this point. Maybe I'm wrong about all this but it sure seems much more is wrong about this team than losing two starters at the start of the season.
I can't blame you for wondering about the decisions. It has crossed my mind a few times. I know that the hit the pitching staff has taken for this team seems to be unmatched by anything I have ever seen. You think about 4 starters (Darvish, Holland, Harrison and Perez) all out at the same time. So that has much to do with it. But the complete lack of a LHer for the BP and at the same time the lack of RH hitters must be blamed on upper management. And while many of us are upset at what Andrus and Choo make in proportion to their results many of us were on board with those moves. But at the same time I have no problem with Fielder being here instead of Kinsler.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers acquire Latos, not sure how this will affect the market for Gallardo or Hamels.

Probably takes them off the market for Gallardo. I still say the Rotals need another starter.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are just so far away from being a contending ballclub. Darvish, like Perez this season, may not get his groove back until late next season. Harrison and Lewis are clearly not long term options. Chi Chi is going to be good but needs a lot of seasoning. Holland has filthy stuff but can not stay healthy anymore. Gallardo almost certainly is not a Ranger next season. And of course, the bullpen is a total dumpster fire.

Choo has an awful contract and was/is one of the worst free agent signings in baseball in the past few years. And what can you say about Elvis Andrus? He is one of the worst defensive short stops in all of baseball and hits more like a utility infielder but outside of a trade what can Texas do? They have no SS on the farm anywhere near being a ML quality prospect.

Everything JD does should be looking toward 2017 and beyond. We are one of the worst 10 teams in baseball right now. Healthy or not the lineup lacks RH bats, the bullpen is atrocious (and that is 100% on JD), and the bench is very weak.

Gotta be patient. JD needs to step up his game and Bannister needs to show some better in-game management. My guess is Banny doesn't make it out of next season. He will go before JD does.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably takes them off the market for Gallardo. I still say the Rotals need another starter.
If they get one they will have some kind of a team. Their starters in the playoffs just need to get to the 7th inning and let their BP close it out.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is too late now, but JD should have admitted after the 2013 season that the team needed to be rebuilt to some degree. They had so many holes at that time that it would have taken a $150-160 million budget to put us back into contention and that would be if several free agents were signed and came through. He should have not traded for Prince and should have not signed Choo. At last year's deadline he should have traded Beltre. He chose to try to appear to be a contender and it has failed.

I think until several of Gallo, Mazara, Thompson, Williams, Chi CHi and one or two other guys get acclimated to the big leagues we are going to be stuck at this level. It is either that, get extremely lucky, or raise the payroll by about $30-40 million. I don't hold much faith in those last two options and that is why I am so preoccupied with the development and success of our prospects. I see that as our only real hope of returning to the WS. I know those guys are nothing close to sure things, but I do believe they are our only hope. I said before last season started that I didn't think we would be major contenders until 2017 and I haven't seen much to change my mind since.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is too late now, but JD should have admitted after the 2013 season that the team needed to be rebuilt to some degree. They had so many holes at that time that it would have taken a $150-160 million budget to put us back into contention and that would be if several free agents were signed and came through. He should have not traded for Prince and should have not signed Choo. At last year's deadline he should have traded Beltre. He chose to try to appear to be a contender and it has failed.

I think until several of Gallo, Mazara, Thompson, Williams, Chi CHi and one or two other guys get acclimated to the big leagues we are going to be stuck at this level. It is either that, get extremely lucky, or raise the payroll by about $30-40 million. I don't hold much faith in those last two options and that is why I am so preoccupied with the development and success of our prospects. I see that as our only real hope of returning to the WS. I know those guys are nothing close to sure things, but I do believe they are our only hope. I said before last season started that I didn't think we would be major contenders until 2017 and I haven't seen much to change my mind since.

Lots of things will have to go right before this team is good in 2017, lots.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hello there mr hindsight. I suppose he should've known Choo would be a giant flop, that Elvis would regress to a below replacement level player, Darvish and Perez would need TJ, That Holland would have a freak accident followed by an unforseeable shoulder injury, and Profar would be unable to stay healthy among other things I don't have time to type out.

The only thing I lay entirely at his feet is the bullpen. That mess is his baby, and he definitely should've built us a better one. It's easy to sit in front of your computer 2 years later and point to what should've been done. Fact is, if just a third of those unforseeable events don't happen then this team is certainly in the race. But keep on with that, bud.