• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hopefully the NFL makes penaltys challengable/reviewable

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only helmet to helmet and only overturn if there is no contact.

Nothing subjective should be reviewable in any way.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of slowing down an already slowed down game with endless reviews how about stop making so many rules that don't have clearly defined lines for calling them? They have changed so many rules under the guise of adding to player safety, but haven't made those rules cut and dry. Too many interpretation rules. That's what is causing this problem, not the lack of replay. Better define exactly what is, and isn't an illegal hit.

This is exactly what needs to happen. Make the rules clear and we don't have all of this wasted time. Then they have more time to sell in advertisement.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the technology of today I often wonder how the game would be if there where no Refs. on the field at all. Everything can be seen by all of the camera angles better than any human can see. Reviewable penalties for PI and conduct calls I would agree with, but not on holding, off-sides ,etc. and big no to a challenge flag on penalties.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot make PI reviewable. A review has to be indisputable.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it can be reviewable and should be if such a rule will be made. Why would it not? Do you think the call on the field would be better that what is is noticed on a replay of such an event?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with this as long as all reviews are centralized at a headquarters like the NHL. A combo NHL & NCAA review process would speed the game up.

Edit: I am only referring only to personal foul type calls. PI & other penalties should not be reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure you can. Here's a case where the golden boy got bailed out right before everyone bashed Seattle for the fail mary (which was legit if you go look at coldhardfootball's facts/analysis written by a Steelers fan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0k24XXf-0

No PI there, got Green Bay their only TD and setup the 'fail mary' to begin with. Would've been 4th and 2 otherwise.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it can be reviewable and should be if such a rule will be made. Why would it not? Do you think the call on the field would be better that what is is noticed on a replay of such an event?

Absolutely. Penalties are subjective and should only be called live.

The entire purpose of replay is to change calls that are indisputably wrong. Any penalty with a hint of a subjective element needs to be left alone. Call it live or not at all.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Penalties are subjective and should only be called live.

The entire purpose of replay is to change calls that are indisputably wrong. Any penalty with a hint of a subjective element needs to be left alone. Call it live or not at all.

Maybe you just started watching football the last week or so, but I've seen MANY penalties that are indisputably wrong.

And if refs still want to challenge ones that aren't, there will be the "No conclusive evidence to overturn."

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defender and receiver touch in any way whatsoever with the ball in the air you can't overrule PI. You realize this, right?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should be part of the coaches challenges. Any play should be reviewable so the refs can get it right. That bowman strip is a prime example. It didn't cost them in the end but could have been game changing...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they need to use technology or off field refs to remove some of the scope of the calls from the on field refs jurisdiction. This would allow them to concentrate more on other aspects.

For example: Too many men on the field, delay of game, illegal sustituation, free kick violations, . These could easily be handled automatically with technology.

Many other rules could be handled by booth refs (like offsides for example?), this could free up the on field refs to more closely observe other calls.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sensors in shoes could eliminate sideline catch calls as well, but I'm not sure how much people really want to change the game. Some do and some really don't.