• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hoop Week 5 Top 25 Discussion Thread

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could have been the final 3 minutes when the score was 17-10 and GT had the ball.

And GT, who was averaging over 330 on the ground had 129 rushing yards?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If West Virginia is such a terrible win, why is it acceptable to lose to them?

There are three key reasons which I think play in OK State over Maryland:

1. Having seen a large portion of the Oklahoma State-West Virginia game, I feel like the dreaded eye test tells me that Oklahoma State was the much better team. I know that is hard to objectify, but its what I saw.

2. I do place a small consideration on the past performance of a head coach, and I think Gundy has earned the right to be given more deference than Edsall.

3. One game does not define a schedule. Oklahoma State, again, has a better win than anything Maryland has done. Their win over a subpar FBS team was more impressive than Maryland's. It's obviously early and things will sort themselves out, but i've seen nothing to suggest that Maryland is better than OK State, as opposed to the very likely possibility that they just played a terrible game.

And FWIW, I penalized OK State quite a bit. I'm more than willing to jump on the Maryland bandwagon. They have a great QB and a great WR. They have their chance to win me over this weekend, and they don't technically need to win in order to do it.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So actually playing a team and beating them doesn't count anymore? And while UGA has 2 wins over so called top 15 teams, we BEAT them head to head. UGA did not win, we did. Great teams win on the road and road games are a part of the season that every team faces. You have to win them. But I'm good with it.

Even though I agree with you in this particular instance, I agree with Sox in principle. By saying "head to head is everything," you are in essence letting a schedule maker play a huge role in which one of two relatively easy teams finished higher ranked. That may be okay in baseball or basketball where teams often play home and home and have the chance to prove themselves. In football, with so few great teams and almost no rematches, teams don't get the chance. I want to crown the best team, not the team which lucks into playing an evenly matched team at home.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Michigan, they looked as good as Maryland against UConn
You're not even close on this one. Did you actually watch the MD game against UConn? MD didn't play great against UConn, but they had a very comfortable lead and the game was never in doubt. Michigan, trailed going into the 4th QT and squeaked out a 3 point win. You must have something against MD. Also, NC State? That two point win against Richmond must have really impressed you.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not seen MD play. It's clear.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, these SportsHoopla polls are becoming a joke.

People voting with a major conference bias.

Mostly 2 or 3 posters all from SEC schools that are protecting the conference teams through shady voting.

We should do away with it or kick out polls where people arent taking it seriously.

Unreal that any of you are that insecure to put forth an honest ballot. Your self worth should not be tied to where your team and teams in your schools conference are ranked in a mock poll.

Insecure individuals.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are three key reasons which I think play in OK State over Maryland:

3. One game does not define a schedule. Oklahoma State, again, has a better win than anything Maryland has done. Their win over a subpar FBS team was more impressive than Maryland's. It's obviously early and things will sort themselves out, but i've seen nothing to suggest that Maryland is better than OK State, as opposed to the very likely possibility that they just played a terrible game.
So a 59-3 win versus Lamar is a better win than a 37-0 win versus a WVU team? Wow.

I don't know if MD should or should not be ranked, but some of your reasoning is questionable.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly 2 or 3 posters all from SEC schools that are protecting the conference teams through shady voting.

We should do away with it or kick out polls where people arent taking it seriously.

Unreal that any of you are that insecure to put forth an honest ballot. Your self worth should not be tied to where your team and teams in your schools conference are ranked in a mock poll.

Insecure individuals.

The best one is the Florida poster who has Miami 10 spots below the Gators.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a 59-3 win versus Lamar is a better win than a 37-0 win versus a WVU team? Wow.

I don't know if MD should or should not be ranked, but some of your reasoning is questionable.

I've said that I think 21-3 in a neutral site game over MS State is better than a 37-0 win over West Virginia. You can disagree with that, but don't create false reasoning.

I saw a good portion of the Maryland-UConn game on ESPN3. I didn't catch any of their other games. Again, they'll have their chance to prove their point in front of a national audience this weekend.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Insecure individuals.

That

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Insecure individuals.

This. But there have been ballots over the last few weeks going against the SEC too.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. But there have been ballots over the last few weeks going against the SEC too.

That is also ridiculous. I can see a little variances here and there. It is getting out of hand.

Just like anything, a small number of people can ruin it for the whole crowd.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit to holding USCe back a little, but I can't help it. It's just not in me to be kind to them. I just can't do it. I've tried and tried but I can't. I apologize.

:L

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's an unofficial message board poll....oh the humanity.....fucking death for all people that dont agree with the mainstream...burn it down!!!!

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is also ridiculous. I can see a little variances here and there. It is getting out of hand.

Just like anything, a small number of people can ruin it for the whole crowd.

Yeah, but I think in the end we pretty much get it right.

Also, no way should anybody have UGA ranked above Clemson, imo. Clemson has been pretty impressive throughout, with the exception being a Thursday night game on the road..

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy has Oregon in the 20s...

I have seen Ohio State @ 14 or something.

I have Oregon in the 20s because my rankings are based on actual achievement this season, weighing games against ranked opponents heavily. They'll move up once they play a ranked team (possibly even if they lose).
My system also adjusts as the season progresses, and losses to ranked teams will drop in importance and undefeateds will move up as their winning streaks increase (once we have more ranked vs. ranked games, as I've started my system a little earlier this year than usual). For now, Oregon hasn't met my qualifications to be considered for a higher slot because of their schedule. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it is not biased at all, it's a formula. If it were biased I sure as hell wouldn't have Clemson at #2, trust me.