• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hokie hoops vs UNC

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We always seem to play good in the first half. We just don't make adjustments or anticipate theirs. We lose them all in the 2nd half.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to keep Finney-Smith on the bench for tonight. he is playing awful

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit Eddie is killing us on both ends.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17-0 run. Guys aren't moving and we can't buy a rebound. Hope the guys don't give up early.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what happens when you have no adjustments at halftime. They are destroying our man to man and we never switch to zone so far. We have run the same offensive set every time down court and it hasn't worked at all in the 2nd half but we keep doing it. These are things Greenburg is fully responsible for.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jekyll and Hyde. Considering this team doesn't really run an offense, I think we are best served sprinting up and down the floor even if its out of control....better chance of drawing fouls and finding guys open for 3. And what has happened to DFS?....he has been garbage since mid-December.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sigh. i fuckin hate unc basketball.

any chance against the hoos next?

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big stat from Norm Wood

Finney-Smith has now failed to make a field goal in 3 of his 4 ACC games (combined 0-10 FGs at Wake, at BC & tonight vs. UNC).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprising 1st half, but the 2nd half ended up about how I expected the game to go.

1st half UNC came out flat. We took a lot of 3s and made them and built a decent lead. Some UNC players looked dejected as if to say "Not again..." (considering they lost to FSU much the same way)

2nd half UNC flipped the switch. Roy must have chewed their ass out. They got out and ran to get some easy buckets. Then in halfcourt sets, they absolutely shredded us with pinpoint passes and off ball movement. We got worked over like a speed bag.

Our offense stunk in the 2nd half and really, you can chalk it up to fool's gold. Maybe you've heard it before, but when a team gets hot from 3, there's a tendency to abandon all offensive strategy and just keep shooting 3s. It's called fool's gold because you think you're doing well but eventually you stop making 3s and suddenly you find yourself down by 10. That's exactly what happened here. We shot a shit ton of 3s and made quite a few in the 1st half. 2nd half? Couldn't buy a bucket. Once they realized the lid on the basket was closed, the team was clueless on how to score. Everything snowballed from there.

BTW, how embarrassing was the end of the 1st half where Jay Bilas says about 5 times "you can't allow a lob here. UNC runs lobs all the time" and then we allow a lob on the inbounds? Scouting report FAIL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...but I have to admit I did take UNC -6.5 ...

CHA-CHING!

Nice call on that one. You could've teased it down a healthy amount of points and still come away with money (if you could/would ever tease a line down).

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
haha yea!! seemed to easy...wish i could tease the lines, my local guy doesnt play teases...wish hokies would've played the whole game like they did in the first half...smh

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game @ UVA tomorrow (Sunday). It's 6pm on ESPNU.

I've seen them play a couple of games this year. UVA is a VERY good defensive team. Their specialty is man to man that actually looks like a 2-3 zone. They'll park all 5 guys inside the ark and absolutely suffocate the paint. They dare you to shoot long Js, and then have 2 or 3 guys ready to get a rebound. They aren't all that good on offense, but that's not their motive. Their goal is to hold you to 50 to 55 points and beat you by a couple of shots or so. It's worked for them pretty darn well.

Since they play a defensive, slow pace, we probably stand a pretty good chance of being in this game late. It is essential that we are precise on offense. We need to get something out of almost every possession whether it be points or just drawing a foul. And we cannot afford to get sloppy as we have in many games this year.

Offensively, our gameplan should be to push the pace and get buckets on the fast break. Don't let UVA set up its halfcourt offense. However, if the break isn't there (like 1 on 3), just back out and work to the ball around to spots on the floor where guys can hit shots (Hudson on the corners, Davila/Raines/DFS down low, Green/Eddie/Brown rolling off screens to the basket).

Gonna be optimistic here. After starting the season looking fairly good then going through a borderline meltdown to start conference play, I say we finally get a conference win.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought I'd go over the positives and negatives of the UNC loss.
Negatives
-We let them run on us on the second half. This is what you can't let UNC do if you want to have a chance.
-We got out rebounded nearly 2-1. I know UNC has a huge size advantage over us and is a huge offensive rebounding team. However, if we box them out they shouldn't outrebound us 2-1.
-We couldn't get any decent shot in the second half which helped UNC run it on us.

Positives
-We shot our asses off.
-Making Hudson come from the bench must have lit a fire under his ass
-Great half court defense considering UNC's offensive talent. They did not get a lot of easy shots in the half court.
-Good aggressiveness on defense. We forced UNC into 14 TOs.
-We didn't turn the ball over that much, only 7 times.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought I'd go over the positives and negatives of the UNC loss.
Negatives
-We let them run on us on the second half. This is what you can't let UNC do if you want to have a chance.
-We got out rebounded nearly 2-1. I know UNC has a huge size advantage over us and is a huge offensive rebounding team. However, if we box them out they shouldn't outrebound us 2-1.
-We couldn't get any decent shot in the second half which helped UNC run it on us.

Positives
-We shot our asses off.
-Making Hudson come from the bench must have lit a fire under his ass
-Great half court defense considering UNC's offensive talent. They did not get a lot of easy shots in the half court.
-Good aggressiveness on defense. We forced UNC into 14 TOs.
-We didn't turn the ball over that much, only 7 times.

Hudson disappeared in the 2nd half though.

I think we'll have a chance against UVA now that Sene is out....maybe we'll actually have a shot at an offensive rebound. The fact that we have no inside game on offense bodes well since UVA dares you to shoot from outside. Obviously we'll have to shoot well, but that is the name of the game. I'd like to see us get out and run more like we did in spurts against UNC.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't think Sene is a big part of UVA's success so I do not think him being out will have an impact. He's the classic example of a 7 foot stiff playing basketball. He doesn't do anything particularly well despite being 7 foot tall. His stats are comparable to Davila's.