• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

hmm, interesting

how would you classify ed's moustache?

• hilter stache(mj)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gerbal stache

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • hilter gerbal

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
very interesting indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raptors want to be tough guys

By RYAN WOLSTAT, QMI Agency

TORONTO - Toronto’s new veteran additions preach a tough, take-no -prisoners approach that has been alien in Raptor-land over the past, oh, decade.

On Tuesday, Toronto native Jamaal Magloire backed up the talk with action, laying out star shooting guard DeMar DeRozan at practice at the ACC.

“Man, Magloire knocked me down earlier today. I feel like I hit a wall,” DeRozan replied when queried about whether the old-timers were letting up at all.

Magloire, one of the league’s most physical big men, shrugged at the play, sophomore Ed Davis found the whole thing hilarious and to his credit, DeRozan appreciated the effort as well.

“You know it’s good, being competitive is good for us.”

Did the Big Cat apologize? “No, he didn’t say sorry,” replied DeRozan with a laugh.

DeRozan’s good friend Davis also found humour in the situation.

“We need to toughen DeMar up a little bit. Shooting guards (are) soft when they come in the paint so we’ve got to toughen him up,” said a deadpan Davis.

Magloire’s take?

“Just practising hard, I’m not trying to hurt anybody but we have a defensive-minded attitude first and we can’t give up any layups.

“Just going for the ball, nothing intentional ... Our objective is stopping the opponent first, scoring second. We have to start the trend at practice.”

While Magloire and 277-pounder Aaron Gray will provide the bulk of the brawn inside, point guard Anthony Carter will make Raptors opponents feel his presence from the backcourt.

“Oh ya, that’s the type of team we’re going to be. It’s going to go back to those Pat Riley New York Knicks days,” Carter said.

Faced with a shortage of offensive talent compared to most opponents, the new-look Raptors under Dwane Casey intend to make up for that deficit by grinding games out and wearing down adversaries through physicality at the other end.

That doesn’t mean they will be abusing the rulebook though, clarified Carter.

“We don’t want to play dirty, we just want to play tough. We don’t want no bad reputation of trying to hurt people, but we need to make a statement that this is how we’re going to play.”

Added Davis: “Teams are going to know we’re going to foul hard, we’re not going to back down from no one.”

That’s a foreign, but welcome concept in a town where the less than imposing Vince Carter and Chris Bosh have defined the franchise for far too long.

DeRozan is buying in and Casey believes that even leading scorer Andrea Bargnani is as well — perhaps because he has no other choice.

“Andrea has been physical, putting his body on people ... he almost has to out of survival,” Casey said.

“When you have Jamaal Magloire and Aaron Gray around you better hit somebody or else you’re going to get your head knocked off.”

That’s not to say that Magloire isn’t against handing out niceties as well.

The 19th selection of the 2000 NBA draft and former all-star is high on DeRozan and Davis.

“I think (DeRozan) has the chance to be an all-star in this league if he continues to work, work, work,” Magloire said.

“I’m very impressed with Ed, he is very deceptive. He’s going to surprise a lot of people.

“Their work ethic and will to win, (in) two-three years, you’re going to see them at all-star weekend.”