• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heat Model....or Spurs Model?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had 2 really good thread ideas but I could only choose 1, so being as this is the day of the Finals I went with this one.We always talk about what the Lakers can do to make it back to the top, so looking at the Finals, there's really 2 ways to go about it. Make big free agent splashes or build a well rounded team.

Now, they didn't start it but we all know the Heat model in getting the big 3 in free agency and filling the team with very small contracts for others. Now in the coming years, it'll be less likely to see a big 3 around with the cba unless they take WAY less. Now for some time now, I've gotten on board with this "let's wait until 2015 to make splashes" idea. We have obviously our eyes on Kevin Love and the rest of that free agent class. Now, who knows what happens with Kevin Love as the rumors are circulating EVERYWHERE. We can stick with the 2015 idea, with hopes that we land someone else to replace Kobe when his contract runs out...but there's another way that we can win and it didn't hit me until I watched the Spurs play.

Now for this next idea to work for THIS year, it starts with THESE guys

kobe kyrie.jpg

DISCALIMER This idea deals with alot of possible hypothetical ideas. There are several reports flying around that the Cavs do not think that Kyrie is worth a max contract, and there are also reports that they have fielded calls from inquiring teams. The Lakers have been rumored to be interested in Kyrie irving as well. Now this is far fetched, but I would be FOR trading the 7th pick with other assets to obtain Kyrie Irving. Now would Cleveland TAKE that deal? That is certainly up for debate, but for hypothetical purposes let's say that they did. Kyrie Irving could be our version of Tony Parker as I believe he is just as good a passer and scorer. He's not known for defense but he has the legs to keep up with these PG's that always gives us FITS. As for Kobe, I think that he is coming back with a vengeance and his trainer Tim Grover recently said that the rehab is going better than expected. He would obviously be an upgrade over Manu Ginobli. There are other key cogs in this plan as well and it deals with 2 former Lakers...

trevor1.jpg
Now, full discloure...I never wanted Trevor Ariza to leave from the START as I thought he was one of the MAIN reasons why we won that title in 09'. Now, he has a pretty good situation going in Washington, but he's a free agent this year and if we're going to go all in on this idea I think we need to make a push for him. He would be our version of Kawhi Leonard in that Trevor Ariza is known for his defense and he has a long, athletic build. He can also knock down timely shots as we all know to well.

If we can resign Pau, he could be our version of Tim Duncan. Lets face it, Duncan is a contributor to the Spurs but he obviously isn't a workhorse like he used to be and I know for a fact that Pau can still get us atleast 15-17 pts and 8 boards a game. Now to make this work Pau would have to take a friendly deal to help us out. Now we turn to the role players...

nick young.jpg

Now, we've already retained Kendall Marshall and I think either him OR Nash would be really good backup guards to lead the 2nd team. Jodie Meeks if nothing else can be good as knock down shooter and he could be our version of Danny Green. After being down on him for much of his career due to his erratic play, I am sold on Swaggy P being the leader and main contributor off the bench. I'd like to see Xavier Henry return as well, and I wouldn't be against retaining Jordan Hill as well. I wouldn't be totally against Kaman returning as well to fill out the center void, but I would moreso like someone that could atleast be a stronger body at the rim on defense. I'm not sure who that would be however. Either way, however they do it, we need to surround the main starters with alot of shooters.

As for the last piece to the puzzle, for THIS plan I think we would need to hire Byron Scott. He has a history with Kyrie and it was reported that they still stay in contact to this day. His system is built around a good PG, and sticking with this Spurs idea. I think that with Kyrie getting into the lane with ease, he would be great at finding the open shooter.

So I made this very long thread to ask.....what do you guys think?!? Heat model- wait until free agency in 2015, or Spurs model- go after the title now if the hypotheticals work out?

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Spurs model as long as the franchise sticks with it and does what the Spurs do. Your proposal includes very talented young players who can both contribute now and for the future. So the Lakers would need to do like the Spurs and find the right guys for their system and team as other guys leave.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Kold your suggestions have teeth and could easily be accomplished in the post-CBA era. I see many things happening in the next several months and the stuff you proposed could be a lot of it.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kold that was good work. I like it. I hope this happens. It can be done and would bode well for the Lakers future.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah guys, I really like this idea and I hope it's something that the Lakers look into

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I completely forgot about Bazemore...I'd really like him back as well

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff Kold. I brought up the Kyrie/Scott connection before. It was one reason I liked the idea of hiring Scott. Scott tops my coaching list. Kyrie is still very young and should be one of the top PGs in the league soon enough. I would trade the #7 pick for him.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's an either/or scenario. I think it takes a combination. Get a key piece now in Kyrie but then still have the cap space for a big name in 2015.

If resigning Pau, it would have to be a very cap friendly number, but also short in length. I wouldn't give him more than 2 years. That way they can still try to compete short term but then have Kobe/Pau coming off for the 2016 summer.

Mitch has his work cut out for him whichever direction he goes.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill take a bikini model

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kyrie needs a change of scenery and despite whoever the new coach is, if I was Mitch (and I am not), I'd go after Kyrie as the new anchor point of the rebuilding plan. Obviously Scott would sweeten the deal for Kyrie.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crap, I thought this was a thread about 2 hot chicks. :doh:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the good old Lakers Model of old that has, until recently, dominated the NBA. Sign, draft, trade for guys who can play defense and score some points and stick a dominating Big Man in the middle of them. It's pretty simple!

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the good old Lakers Model of old that has, until recently, dominated the NBA. Sign, draft, trade for guys who can play defense and score some points and stick a dominating Big Man in the middle of them. It's pretty simple!
Well the signing, drafting, and trading would fit into either model mentioned. As for the big man in the middle, I honestly just want someone that can be somewhat average on offense and can protect the rim on defense. I would rather us go against our historic plan of building around the big man, and transition into what's going on in today's game. If we can just get a decent big to play with Pau, that would still give us the option of going big against a team like Miami, while also having the chance to go small.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have described Jordon Hill, Kold. Although Hill needs some work on the defensive side of the equation. I'd re-sgn Hill because he can be that exact player you are wishing for and more. With the right coach, I could see him as an All-Star but that remains to be witnessed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have described Jordon Hill, Kold. Although Hill needs some work on the defensive side of the equation. I'd re-sgn Hill because he can be that exact player you are wishing for and more. With the right coach, I could see him as an All-Star but that remains to be witnessed.

Yep. Agree 100% on Hill. Right now, I consider him to be a good defender, but with his energy and athletic ability, he has the potential to be a very good defender and possibly an elite one.

I believe that he also has the "basics" down on offense well enough that he could also become a solid offensive player as well.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Agree 100% on Hill. Right now, I consider him to be a good defender, but with his energy and athletic ability, he has the potential to be a very good defender and possibly an elite one.

I believe that he also has the "basics" down on offense well enough that he could also become a solid offensive player as well.

he WAS starting to "get it" towards the end of the season. i'd honestly love for this kid to stick around and be our 5 long term...

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what guys....I was getting ready to say that Jordan Hill is a little too undersized to play the rim protector role...but sticking with this Spurs thing, he's every bit as big as Tiago Splitter. So I'm gonna agree that he can at the least be servicable.