• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawks prioritize Thomas over Sherman

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasselbeck had a lot greater load to shoulder, though.

Wilson has potential, but he has shown nothing yet. Seattle won on the strength of an amazing defense.

You're right, Seahawks did win on the strength of a great defense, but your first statement shows you haven't watched many Seahawk games over the last two years.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson has potential, but he has shown nothing yet. Seattle won on the strength of an amazing defense.

Hasn't shown anything yet ? He threw for 2 touchdowns and was 7-8 on 3rd downs in the biggest game.. Good defense or not he was very efficient and played smart football… No picks the entire playoffs and made big time throws when needed… He was a model of consistency…. Hass wouldn't have survived this season with our O-line issues early on…

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget what Thomas really is. He's not just a traditional safety. He can play all over the field. 345 tackles in 4 years. And that's as a Free safety. Big difference between free and strong. Free is the primary coverage guy over the strong. Your strong safety is typically the one you see playing in the box. Chancellor plays the box more than Thomas right? And he has 320 tackles over 4 years. Less than Thomas. That says a lot about Thomas' athletic ability. Thomas is the best safety in the game. Can you find another safety that does what he does? No.

What's the one thing you think of when you think of Seattle? Depth. They are the deepest team in football. They are great when it comes to drafting. They can build more depth in their secondary if needed. Yes, its true that a shutdown corner is more valuable than an elite safety in most cases. But Thomas is not just an elite safety. This guy is a once in a lifetime talent. Find me another free safety in the history of the NFL that leads your team in solo tackles and is also your best coverage safety. You won't find one. Minus Ronnie Lott of course.

So of course you'd like to keep both of them, but with the depth Seattle has at corner, they can afford to let Sherman walk and still be the best defense in football. And I'm sure if that did happen, that Seattle would be sure to bring in more corners to compete and push each other. Seattle knows what they're doing obviously. So to me, I think its the right decision to want Thomas over Sherman considering their depth, and Thomas' true value as one of the best safeties we've ever seen.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, Seahawks did win on the strength of a great defense, but your first statement shows you haven't watched many Seahawk games over the last two years.

In terms of ability to carry a team, he's shown nothing. He hasn't had to.

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what's so funny. This national narrative that Wilson hasn't had to do anything. Contrary to popular belief, our defense has had some pretty tough games over the past few seasons.

There were many games over the last two years that I'm pretty sure we lose if we have Matt Hasselbeck at QB, Russell extends and makes plays. Not really sure what more anyone can possibly expect from a 2nd year QB

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he can't be good. But the result the last two years is no different with hasselbeck at QB.

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget what Thomas really is. He's not just a traditional safety. He can play all over the field. 345 tackles in 4 years. And that's as a Free safety. Big difference between free and strong. Free is the primary coverage guy over the strong. Your strong safety is typically the one you see playing in the box. Chancellor plays the box more than Thomas right? And he has 320 tackles over 4 years. Less than Thomas. That says a lot about Thomas' athletic ability. Thomas is the best safety in the game. Can you find another safety that does what he does? No.

What's the one thing you think of when you think of Seattle? Depth. They are the deepest team in football. They are great when it comes to drafting. They can build more depth in their secondary if needed. Yes, its true that a shutdown corner is more valuable than an elite safety in most cases. But Thomas is not just an elite safety. This guy is a once in a lifetime talent. Find me another free safety in the history of the NFL that leads your team in solo tackles and is also your best coverage safety. You won't find one. Minus Ronnie Lott of course.

So of course you'd like to keep both of them, but with the depth Seattle has at corner, they can afford to let Sherman walk and still be the best defense in football. And I'm sure if that did happen, that Seattle would be sure to bring in more corners to compete and push each other. Seattle knows what they're doing obviously. So to me, I think its the right decision to want Thomas over Sherman considering their depth, and Thomas' true value as one of the best safeties we've ever seen.

You nailed it!!
And Richard Sherman is my favorite player, but Thomas is a game changer. I think we keep both and look elsewhere to shave money from the payroll.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it!!
And Richard Sherman is my favorite player, but Thomas is a game changer. I think we keep both and look elsewhere to shave money from the payroll.

To me, the 2 most important players on the Seahawks that they must keep no matter what are Earl Thomas and Russell Wilson. I'd do whatever it takes to keep them. Wilson is going to be a great player soon. People will soon realize that he is no game manager.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree.

How many comeback victories (4th Q Comebacks) has RW had in his 2 years? (i'll go look it up, but it's big)
When asked to carry the team, he HAS.

IT, RW has IT.
He may be short, (that's it, that's all the doubters have), but to call him a game manager with disrespect, well, that's disrespectful. IT, RW has IT, most others don't. Thank you RW.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is, do you pay him like he's capable?

I don't personally think he is able to carry an offense, but someone will offer to pay him like he can. Do you match that?

Thats why I said he's going to be a problem. Yes, he will get paid. He isnt going anywhere. I've watched him for a couple years now and I do think he can carry an offense. I cant explain it, but the guy just seems to do what needs to be done. If he needs to run, thats what he's going to do. I've seen him have those 300 yrd games too (with our crop of receivers). Whats more impressive is that he just doesnt seem to crack under the pressure (closest i've seen this to happening was against the Cardinals when they beat us at home). I think he's the real deal.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he can't be good. But the result the last two years is no different with hasselbeck at QB.

Your crazy. Matt would have gotten killed with the OL we sported the last couple seasons.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think even the Seahawk fans can agree, whatever you guys pay Russell Wilson he's going to be overpaid.

EDIT: Also, if it wasnt for Sherman, maybe we're talking about Russell's fumbles in the Niner game that nearly led to a collapse.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread should probably be moved the NFL General Board.

I haven't kept track, but I think you've asked about this before. Our board posts for this community of fans and anyone who wishes to join us. We are familiar with each other and care to discuss things here on our board. Some of us will venture out, but with maybe exception of a few, we start threads here unless we intentionally want opinions from outsiders (though we do welcome outsiders to come in). There's not really much pragmatic decisions of what is Niners-related and what's not.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hawks fans - at least some of them - seem to be conflating comebacks with carrying the team. They aren't the same thing. And I'm not counting nearly as many as some Hawks fans have suggested. The only true fourth quarter, game-winning drive Wilson had this year was against Carolina. Last year he "came back" against GB, though it's hard to credit a QB with a Hail Mary win. He did have comebacks against NE and Chicago in the regular season, and the "comeback" against Atlanta.

Personally, I think it's very early to say he's better than Hasselbeck, who was playing with a D that only ranked in the top-half of the league in total D twice (when they were 15th and 16th). And while Wilson's escapability was huge early this season, he also holds the ball MUCH longer than Hass did. Hass was much better at putting together long, solid drives. Wilson is much too reliant on the big play for my tastes. He's certainly got the potential to be the best QB in franchise history, but I think it's pretty premature to say he's there right now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't kept track, but I think you've asked about this before. Our board posts for this community of fans and anyone who wishes to join us. We are familiar with each other and care to discuss things here on our board. Some of us will venture out, but with maybe exception of a few, we start threads here unless we intentionally want opinions from outsiders (though we do welcome outsiders to come in). There's not really much pragmatic decisions of what is Niners-related and what's not.

I haven't asked about this for. Was a okay thread. Just seems lately the thread has been getting bumped by everyone but the our fans and is not forty-niner related. Seems like a good candidate for the general message board.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

How many comeback victories (4th Q Comebacks) has RW had in his 2 years? (i'll go look it up, but it's big)
When asked to carry the team, he HAS.

IT, RW has IT.
He may be short, (that's it, that's all the doubters have), but to call him a game manager with disrespect, well, that's disrespectful. IT, RW has IT, most others don't. Thank you RW.

"Comebacks" in a low scoring game with a RB carrying the load isn't carrying the team. I'm talking when no one else is making plays, the defense is mediocre, and he has to put the team on his back. A late drive is great, but it's not carrying the team.

Game manager is exactly what he's been so far.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Thomas as well. This guy has mental issues......at the very least he's insecure as hell

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the Seahawks have a general manager who is primarily in charge or the draft and FA, right? Carroll has some input, but Schneider is the primary decision-maker in terms of additions.

One thing you cannot underestimate about Carroll is his ability to relate to and lead the black athlete. Since the Seahawks have no white players, that is a huge factor in his favor.