• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hats off to the defense again.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people on here don't understand that. Good points.

Any you apparently don't seem to understand that they were playing one of the better defenses in the NFL & they were trying to run the clock down. Your initial post seems to indicate that Gruden might not trust Cousins. I think that nothing could be further from the truth. You do understand that to this pt Gruden has put his job pretty much on the line in defense of Cousins - rt?

You are reading way too much into this. What if Cousins threw an incomplete or worse yet an INT? My guess is that you might also be questioning that decision. Just enjoy the win & stop overthinking things.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any you apparently don't seem to understand that they were playing one of the better defenses in the NFL & they were trying to run the clock down. Your initial post seems to indicate that Gruden might not trust Cousins. I think that nothing could be further from the truth. You do understand that to this pt Gruden has put his job pretty much on the line in defense of Cousins - rt?

You are reading way too much into this. What if Cousins threw an incomplete or worse yet an INT? My guess is that you might also be questioning that decision. Just enjoy the win & stop overthinking things.

Not overthinking it. That is where coaching comes in and designs a play that is safe and stays in bounce. If KC doesn't have it he takes a sack. Its about putting the nail in the coffin. I was shocked we ran on 2nd down. You cant always put the game on the defense. They won 4 out of our 5.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get exactly what you are saying dean. you are saying the coach doesnt trust KC . i am saying it is a opinion of hot garbage and his strategy at the end worked . they shut the vikes out in the 2nd half , and the defense ended the game with 2 sacks

relying on the defense worked

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get exactly what you are saying dean. you are saying the coach doesnt trust KC . i am saying it is a opinion of hot garbage and his strategy at the end worked . they shut the vikes out in the 2nd half , and the defense ended the game with 2 sacks

relying on the defense worked

I know it worked but how many times is the defense going to bail us out? Let KC win the game.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people just have different opinions. There isn't just one way of looking at things. The end result of the game is what ultimately matters.

I understand that. Maybe I was the only fan saying what the hell when we ran on 2nd down.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dean we won the game , we shoulkd have run the ball and we did period
Most every NFL team would run the ball in that situation. Gruden did the conventional thing. Try and ground it out and eat up the clock.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most every NFL team would run the ball in that situation. Gruden did the conventional thing. Try and ground it out and eat up the clock.

FWIW. The Vikings still had two minutes to score a TD.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not overthinking it. That is where coaching comes in and designs a play that is safe and stays in bounce. If KC doesn't have it he takes a sack. Its about putting the nail in the coffin. I was shocked we ran on 2nd down. You cant always put the game on the defense. They won 4 out of our 5.

OK - if you believe that Gruden made the wrong call - fine (although I think that most coaches would do the same). However - maintaining that Gruden doesn't trust Cousins is just ridiculous. These two are pretty much joined at the hip. If Cousins somehow were to leave the Redskins you better believe that it will not be because of any input from Gruden.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW. The Vikings still had two minutes to score a TD.
Yup. Didn't say they executed the plan well, just that most teams would have tried to do the same thing in that situation.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it worked but how many times is the defense going to bail us out? Let KC win the game.

Who cares what player is responsible for the win. A win is a win is a win - period. It is kind of amusing to see some folks not satisfied with just a win - they want it in a certain manner & by a certain amt of pts. I will take a win by any means possible.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, I think that his strategy shows that he trusted his defense if infact we did give the ball back to the Vikings with a bunch of time left. It has nothing to do with not trusting Cousins. Everytime you drop back to pass, a couple of things can happen. All but one of them is bad in that situation. Even an incompletion is bad as it stops the clock. A sack would potentially put us out of FG range. A strip sack with a fumble would have been death. An INT could have also been death. So its less about not trusting and more about playing the odds.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we won but how did we win? The answer is defense. INt was a possibility that is why I mentioned does Gruden trust KC.

Why doesn't every team that gets an interception win the game? Because the offense scored less than the defense.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Big time QBs make plays in that situation. Even a short pass gets us to 3rd and short in that situation. We may have not needed to put our unreliable defense in the situation at the end of the game. I think the Vikes may have been expecting a run there too, to burn timeouts.

Either way, glad of the outcome. But I would take the other teams Offense to win that game 3 times out of 4. But give the D credit. They have come up big at the end of games several times this year.

Why? Because evidence says our defense wins more in that exact situation.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me...the purpose of the defense is to prevent the other team from scoring. The purpose of the offense se is to score points.

If an offense scores 26 points on a defense that gives up 17 PPG, the offense had a very good game.

If a defense gives up 20 to a team that averages 19.4, the defense was average.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares what player is responsible for the win. A win is a win is a win - period. It is kind of amusing to see some folks not satisfied with just a win - they want it in a certain manner & by a certain amt of pts. I will take a win by any means possible.

Im satisfied but it could of been disastrous. What about what Pete Carol did last night by not kicking the extra point to go up 8. Yes Seattle won but it was a bonehead call.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - if you believe that Gruden made the wrong call - fine (although I think that most coaches would do the same). However - maintaining that Gruden doesn't trust Cousins is just ridiculous. These two are pretty much joined at the hip. If Cousins somehow were to leave the Redskins you better believe that it will not be because of any input from Gruden.

Not really. If KC get more money from someone else in the off season he is gone. If that happens you think the Skins fire Gruden? So no they are not joined at the hip.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really. If KC get more money from someone else in the off season he is gone. If that happens you think the Skins fire Gruden? So no they are not joined at the hip.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3