• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haskins...Yes or No?

Should Dwayne Haskins start immediately?

• 1. YES

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • 2. NO

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • 3. Maybe (explain)

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy before him - Arjetwa - until the Shannys left him in too long against Seattle.

I couldn't disagree more. He has had time to heal and show he was better.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more. He has had time to heal and show he was better.
For that 1 year - in that system, he was an absolute phenom and clearly better than Cousins has ever been. He's been a complete failure since then - for various reasons.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For that 1 year - in that system, he was an absolute phenom and clearly better than Cousins has ever been. He's been a complete failure since then - for various reasons.
RG3 could not come close to reading a defense and passing the ball when he should have . he got by on athletic talent in year one and he isnt nearly the QB KC has become . . not even close .he is a failure , a complete bust , and was part of the worst trade in recent times

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 could not come close to reading a defense and passing the ball when he should have . he got by on athletic talent in year one and he isnt nearly the QB KC has become . . not even close .he is a failure , a complete bust , and was part of the worst trade in recent times
I'm no fan of his either. Regardless, he had an historic rookie season. We all saw it - pretty sure I didn't imagine it.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cousin's brought the team back from a loss to Baltimore and beat Cleveland. :nono:

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever the wins the QB competion should start. Regardless if its Keenum or Haskins. I would include Colt but I'm not sure if he will be able to play at season's start?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Minnesota's supporting cast so much better for Keenum (13-3) than it was for Cousins (8-7-1)? Dude is Mr. 500.

I think Cousins needs a playoff win this season to avoid a loser rep - regardless of great stats. That's how I like him now.

That was a totally different Vikes team from the year before. Their OL was terrible in '18 and the entire team played worse. Kirk lived up to his well deserved rep for wilting in the big moments but fans (not you, others) who point to Cousins as the sole reason for their regression, while totally ignoring all the other factors that go into a season, are just flat wrong

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever the wins the QB competion should start. Regardless if its Keenum or Haskins. I would include Colt but I'm not sure if he will be able to play at season's start?

I don't see any reason to take a roster spot on Colt even when he gets healthy. While '17 was an aberration at least Keenum has a season like that on his resume, Colt does not. We saw a few years ago that there there was no market for Colt McCoy, the Redskins appear to be the only team in the league who wanted him and now he is older and he always gets hurt. So cut him and retain his phone number.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any reason to take a roster spot on Colt even when he gets healthy. While '17 was an aberration at least Keenum has a season like that on his resume, Colt does not. We saw a few years ago that there there was no market for Colt McCoy, the Redskins appear to be the only team in the league who wanted him and now he is older and he always gets hurt. So cut him and retain his phone number.

I agree!

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a totally different Vikes team from the year before. Their OL was terrible in '18 and the entire team played worse. Kirk lived up to his well deserved rep for wilting in the big moments but fans (not you, others) who point to Cousins as the sole reason for their regression, while totally ignoring all the other factors that go into a season, are just flat wrong
I'll buy that - for one year.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched Haskins play against Penn State and Michigan. My first question is why does he have so many stickers on his helmet for a guy who only stated for a year? They give them out for good games and the guy's helmet has more stickers than Archie Griffin, that is perplexing.

As for the games it was really hard to get a read. He had a bad game against Penn State but statistically a huge game against Michigan. But so much of that yardage was on short crossing patterns and huge YAC. One long TD had the receiver wide open and he needed to adjust back, OK so he didn't want to over throw him. The other required an adjustment by the WR as well. I just didn't see him fitting the ball into tight windows, virtually every throw was short of downfield So it was really hard to see what he has, hope to see more in other games.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched Haskins play against Penn State and Michigan. My first question is why does he have so many stickers on his helmet for a guy who only stated for a year? They give them out for good games and the guy's helmet has more stickers than Archie Griffin, that is perplexing.

As for the games it was really hard to get a read. He had a bad game against Penn State but statistically a huge game against Michigan. But so much of that yardage was on short crossing patterns and huge YAC. One long TD had the receiver wide open and he needed to adjust back, OK so he didn't want to over throw him. The other required an adjustment by the WR as well. I just didn't see him fitting the ball into tight windows, virtually every throw was short of downfield So it was really hard to see what he has, hope to see more in other games.

The things that you saw are part of the reason he isn't a sure thing. I'd say it will take a couple of years to see whether he is a good pick or not. I am hoping for the best.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The short passing game is still part of the offense & counts for a lot. There are many, many plays that don't involve downfield bombs. If needed Haskins has a very good arm. His pros & cons have been outlined in other threads here. He does need to work on accuracy & some other things, but these are correctable.

I basically agree with Sportster. This will take time (as it will for most young NFL QBs - Mahones basically had to sit on the bench for a season before thriving). The kid has a high football IQ, a great attitude & is extremely coachable. The Skins have tons of coaches & mentors to assist him (including Alex Smith). I would just caution people to not get too down if he doesn't light it up rt away or makes mistakes - it happens even to guys who eventually become pro bowlers. We will see.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The short passing game is still part of the offense & counts for a lot. There are many, many plays that don't involve downfield bombs. If needed Haskins has a very good arm. His pros & cons have been outlined in other threads here. He does need to work on accuracy & some other things, but these are correctable.

I basically agree with Sportster. This will take time (as it will for most young NFL QBs - Mahones basically had to sit on the bench for a season before thriving). The kid has a high football IQ, a great attitude & is extremely coachable. The Skins have tons of coaches & mentors to assist him (including Alex Smith). I would just caution people to not get too down if he doesn't light it up rt away or makes mistakes - it happens even to guys who eventually become pro bowlers. We will see.

yeah but Mahomes arm talent was/is so so much better than Haskins. Mahomes is also quick footed so he doesnt need 6 seconds of protection when he takes a 5 step drop.

Haskins should start right away IMO if nothing else to keep fans engaged and in seats and to see what they got in him before drafting top 5 in 2020 with a real normal draft class

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but Mahomes arm talent was/is so so much better than Haskins. Mahomes is also quick footed so he doesnt need 6 seconds of protection when he takes a 5 step drop.

Haskins should start right away IMO if nothing else to keep fans engaged and in seats and to see what they got in him before drafting top 5 in 2020 with a real normal draft class
It makes no sense to play him before he's ready. It's not good for him and certainly not good for the team. Playing him before he's ready would reek of pandering to the less educated fans (not anyone who posts here) and to the owner.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the intermediate routes that I am interested in seeing how he does. Deep outs, 10-15 stick routes, back shoulder throws along the sideline, passes over the backers but in front of the DBs when the D is playin zone. Those routes are important to keep the defense honest.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense to play him before he's ready. It's not good for him and certainly not good for the team. Playing him before he's ready would reek of pandering to the less educated fans (not anyone who posts here) and to the owner.

I think it really depends on the QB. Some can persevere from failure and others crumble. I think the analytics behind to start or sit a rookie qb is all over the map.

Haskins biggest strength is that he is apparently very head strong. If he fails as a rookie ala Goff he could overcome it

Honestly just start him day 1 and be done with it, we know he will be starting by week 5 at the latest. My 2 cents

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the intermediate routes that I am interested in seeing how he does. Deep outs, 10-15 stick routes, back shoulder throws along the sideline, passes over the backers but in front of the DBs when the D is playin zone. Those routes are important to keep the defense honest.

They also say those routes are the most difficult to execute.

Its also where cousins excelled ha

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it really depends on the QB. Some can persevere from failure and others crumble. I think the analytics behind to start or sit a rookie qb is all over the map.

Haskins biggest strength is that he is apparently very head strong. If he fails as a rookie ala Goff he could overcome it

Honestly just start him day 1 and be done with it, we know he will be starting by week 5 at the latest. My 2 cents
Oh honestly... then ok. :hellno:That's like saying - swallow a teaspoon of cinnamin. Even if you can barely choke it down, you'll learn from the experience. Go for it.