• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has Lebron passed Kobe on the all time list?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good players.

Still not as good as the Spurs. 4 future HOF players and arguably the greatest coach of all time. I don't think it is particularly close. The Spurs teams have always been greater than the sum of their parts, and this was arguably their most talented team.

Keep in mind, 3 and D guy Danny Green also shot like 80% in the Finals that year.

Phil says hi

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good players.

Still not as good as the Spurs. 4 future HOF players and arguably the greatest coach of all time. I don't think it is particularly close. The Spurs teams have always been greater than the sum of their parts, and this was arguably their most talented team.

Keep in mind, 3 and D guy Danny Green also shot like 80% in the Finals that year.

I think it's a lot closer than you want to admit. Especially with the Sonics. If the Spurs have had an Achille's heel throughout Pop's tenure, it's that they struggle with athletic teams. The Sonics were extremely athletic and very good defensively. As good as Parker is, he's never seen anything like The Glove and the athleticism and strength of Kemp would give Timmy fits. They'd also have Schrempf and Perkins to stretch the floor.

George Karl vs. Pop would definitely be advantage Spurs, but Karl is pretty darn good, so it wouldn't be an overwhelming advantage.

As usual with some of these comparisons of teams from different era's you have to consider how the game is called/played. If it's played under the rules and style of the 90's...then the advantage would go to the 90's team (especially the Sonics) and if it was played under today's rules and style, the advantage would go to the Spurs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a lot closer than you want to admit. Especially with the Sonics. If the Spurs have had an Achille's heel throughout Pop's tenure, it's that they struggle with athletic teams. The Sonics were extremely athletic and very good defensively. As good as Parker is, he's never seen anything like The Glove and the athleticism and strength of Kemp would give Timmy fits. They'd also have Schrempf and Perkins to stretch the floor.

George Karl vs. Pop would definitely be advantage Spurs, but Karl is pretty darn good, so it wouldn't be an overwhelming advantage.

As usual with some of these comparisons of teams from different era's you have to consider how the game is called/played. If it's played under the rules and style of the 90's...then the advantage would go to the 90's team (especially the Sonics) and if it was played under today's rules and style, the advantage would go to the Spurs.

I don't much care how they match up with each other.

The point was made that Jordan faced tougher competition than LeBron. The spurs were like Heat krypotonite and none of those teams had a chance in hell against the Bulls.

If the Sonics or Suns were anywhere near as great as the Spurs, they would have made More than 1 Finals. If you want to compare them to the Mavericks, or even the Thunder, then OK. They simply don't compare to the Spurs or the Warriors.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sonics or Suns were anywhere near as great as the Spurs, they would have made More than 1 Finals.

Not necessarily. After the Bulls, there was more parity in the rest of the league, especially in the West than there is now.

We can't talk about how weak the East is and how that results in Lebron's teams making it to the finals so many times in a row, or talk about how the Warriors/Spurs are head shoulders above the rest of the West and then claim they are somehow also better than teams from when there was a bit more parity in the league and more teams capable of reaching the finals.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really doesn't matter who is or was the best because at the end of the day

The Lakers and Kobe Bryant have five championships

It took Lebron three teams combined to equal three championships

five is greater than three and that's what most people will remember ten years from now.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really doesn't matter who is or was the best because at the end of the day

The Lakers and Kobe Bryant have five championships

It took Lebron three teams combined to equal three championships

five is greater than three and that's what most people will remember ten years from now.

This BS again. I guess no one remembers Bird as being any good, only won 3. Hakeem was a scrub who only won 2.

Boring.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. After the Bulls, there was more parity in the rest of the league, especially in the West than there is now.

We can't talk about how weak the East is and how that results in Lebron's teams making it to the finals so many times in a row, or talk about how the Warriors/Spurs are head shoulders above the rest of the West and then claim they are somehow also better than teams from when there was a bit more parity in the league and more teams capable of reaching the finals.

Right now they are head and shoulders above the competition. That was not the case even 2 years ago.

Over the span of the last 15 years, there has been a serious minefield of impressive teams in the Western Conference that the Spurs have had to navigate to advance to the Finals.

In 2014, they had to beat the KD/Russ Thunder, the Aldridge/Dame Blazers and they were pushed to 7 games by the Dirk led Mavericks in the first round. There was not a single West series that went less than 6 games that year, and all the teams in the bracket were good enough to win at least 1 series. That is just 2014.

The Spurs have never had an easy path to the Finals, but they have made it so many times because they are a truly great team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prime Glove and Prime Kemp were legit

Of course they were but you do realize the Warriors have the best team offense we hsve ever seen and damn good defense too. They have maybe the two best shooters of all-time and the best overall defender in the game. The Sonics only made one Finals for a reason, they had a great season but they werent an all-time great team like the Warriors.
Those teams had HOFrs and great players no doubt, not saying the Warriors would blow them out of the building but I think the Warriors ball movement is like something we have never seen, it isnt just the great offense but great defense. Add in KD this year and it is will be difficult for anyone to knock them off this year or in any year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, a strong case can be made. Sonics had Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp in their primes, Detlef Schrempf and Sam Perkins, the Suns had Sir Charles, Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers and Thunder Dan Majerle. Heck, the Jazz had Stockton and Malone and Hornacek was a sniper. Quite a few Hall of Famers and all stars on that list.

Payton IMO is the best defending PG of all-time but offense is just a different beast now. Klay is about as good of a scorer as Payton was in his prime and Klay is a much better shooter and he is the 3rd option. They wouldnt stop the W's and no way they could keep up with them offensively. Klay on Payton and Green on Kemp, no reason to think that the Sonics win those matchups and the Glove and Kemp go off, that's what great players do but I just dont think they had the firepower. I also think the Cavs this year have a ton of firepower with a ton of shooters, those are teams that are pretty much impossible to guard, a team with a ton of shooters. The Supersonics did have Schrempf and Hawkins though. It would be a good series

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As @tlance pointed out, this has been dissected over and over.

Kobe is an all time great, a first ballot Hall of Famer and definitely in the top 10 all time.

Lebron is an all time great, a first ballot Hall of Famer and definitely in the top 5 all time.

There was a time when this was a legit argument. That time has passed.

You put Lebron in your top 5 and wounder why this gets dissected over over.

Just hysterical.