• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh=Singletary?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How dare you bring facts into the discussion! :D

How is that scenario relevant to this one? The game situation was quite different and they could have had the three points back quite easily by kicking the FG.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How is that scenario relevant to this one? The game situation was quite different and they could have had the three points back quite easily by kicking the FG.

I would suggest you read the post from deep as to the relevance of the example I posted...

"...there must be good reasons why that adage (don't take points off the board)came about in the first place? can't cite examples but just thinking about it...........there could be a holding penalty, personal foul penalty, back to back penalties, bad snap, a mishandled snap, a missed hand-off, a sack and fumble, deflected pass for INT, bobbled catch and INT, bad snap on the field goal, bad hold, tipped field goal...." --Deep

he could not recall an example of the adage "don't take points off the board". I provided an example to help illustrate his point

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How dare you bring facts into the discussion! :D

I would suggest you read the post from deep as to the relevance of the example I posted...

"...there must be good reasons why that adage (don't take points off the board)came about in the first place? can't cite examples but just thinking about it...........there could be a holding penalty, personal foul penalty, back to back penalties, bad snap, a mishandled snap, a missed hand-off, a sack and fumble, deflected pass for INT, bobbled catch and INT, bad snap on the field goal, bad hold, tipped field goal...." --Deep

he could not recall an example of the adage "don't take points off the board". I provided an example to help illustrate his point

But the situations were nothing alike which makes the comparison meaningless IMO.

FWIW- Taking points off the board was the right thing to do in both scenarios IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith isn't playing because he can't provide adequate coverage as a 34 OLB. This is why you see him only taking pass rushing downs at 43 DE.

Like Haralson is providing that? or Brooks is even being asked to try(i've seen attack more than covering)?

When they drafted Smith, did they honestly felt he could cover? If coverage is the only thing holding him back then we need to change some coaching personnel. It's bullsh*t IMO(at the logic of Smith not playing due to coverage).... If they wanted an OLB capable of covering, they would've/should've resigned Manny.

We need a fucking pass rusher from the OLB, we supposedly drafted one, but he can't do it because he can't cover? WTF is haralson covering???

Just when i thought i can calm down and relax from the terrible decision by our coach, i hear/read this....

BAHHHh

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Deep, let me help you out with an example. Last year's game against the chargers

"...Jeff Reed kicked a 38-yard field goal but San Diego's Antonio Garay was whistled for unnecessary roughness for trying to gain leverage, giving the 49ers first-and-goal at the 10. Smith scrambled and dived at the left pylon on third down and it was ruled a touchdown. The Chargers challenged and it was reversed, with Smith ruled down inches from the goal line. On fourth down at the 1, Siler threw Anthony Dixon for a 2-yard loss..."

That's a different argument, that's going for it on 4th down.... SO MANY who are in favor of keeping the pts argue that it would provide a two score lead.....

We were still in position to do so, only to burn more clock in doing it. If we faced a 4th down, no question we kick a FG.

It's a matter of gaining a first down(which we couldn't do on our own in the 2nd half), eat some clock, and push the lead to two scores..... that FG most likely would've been another FG OR could have gone TD......

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's a different argument, that's going for it on 4th down.... SO MANY who are in favor of keeping the pts argue that it would provide a two score lead.....

We were still in position to do so, only to burn more clock in doing it. If we faced a 4th down, no question we kick a FG.

It's a matter of gaining a first down(which we couldn't do on our own in the 2nd half), eat some clock, and push the lead to two scores..... that FG most likely would've been another FG OR could have gone TD......

OK. Once again let me repeat what I said. It was an example of what could happen if a team took off points off the boards. yes, the situation is different but deep only asked for an example but let me ask you this...

Let's say the Niners accepted the penalty and on the ensuing series they were able to advance the ball and were facing 4th and inches from the goal line...

What would you do? Go for it or kick a fg?

I know it did not happen that way because they took the points instead but that scenario is a possibility although the probability is not that high...

The example I provided to help illustrate deep's point was just that an example. No where in my post did I claim that it's a similar situation

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK. Once again let me repeat what I said. It was an example of what could happen if a team took off points off the boards. yes, the situation is different but deep only asked for an example but let me ask you this...

Let's say the Niners accepted the penalty and on the ensuing series they were able to advance the ball and were facing 4th and inches from the goal line...

I know it did not happen that way because they took the points instead but that scenario is a possibility although the probability is not that high...

The example I provided to help illustrate deep's point was just that an example. No where in my post did I claim that it's a similar situation

If the Niners got the ball from the 22 to the goal line I take that FG and the multiple minutes it likely took off the clock and the Niners win the game. Easy as pie!

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I AM SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY THAT HARBAUGH TOOK THE POINTS! DON'T WORRY THE CAP LOCKS ISN'T ANGER, IT'S EXCITEMENT! I WOULD BE MORE DISAPPOINTED IF WE ACCEPTED, AND DIDN'T SCORE! THEN THE COWBOYS WOULD COME BACK AND BEAT US IN THE 4TH INSTEAD, AND WE LOOK LIKE CHOKERS! SINCE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IT MAKES ME NOT WRONG!

WOOOOOO I LOVE CONVINCING MYSELF THAT I'M RIGHT ABOUT POSSIBILITIES! AND LETTING EVERYONE KNOW IT!

To bad I miss out on all the fun anger this time, cause I was on the side of the indisputable loss. lol having extreme emotional reactions over possibilities is fun though, I don't blame you guys. I love it when I'm on the possibilities side, and I can just engorge myself on it, just get real fat and greasy with it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, if it did go into a 4th inches on the goaline, by then i would say a good 3 mins min went of the clock, I would actually try to punch it in... 4th and inches at the goaline, yeah i'll definitely run it.

If we get stuffed, we leave them on their 1 and the pressure is on them. I wouldn't mind that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We could have kicked the field goal on our next fourth down. Using more clock was crucial at that point, one of the main reasons I didn't like the choice.

yes, ASSUMING nothing went wrong? at this point in the season, are you saying trust Alex Smith and this current O-line not to make mistakes? even back to back penalties (say holding and false start) could've put pressure right back on our ST's?

there was over 11 minutes left in the game when that decision happened, we could've burned it down to what....9:30? but after we kicked off with with 11 minutes left, up by 10 points, we'd still have an opportunity to burn clock. our D should've slowed them down more and our offense got the ball again......to burn the clock.

obviously, neither side came thru at the end.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Deep, let me help you out with an example. Last year's game against the chargers

"...Jeff Reed kicked a 38-yard field goal but San Diego's Antonio Garay was whistled for unnecessary roughness for trying to gain leverage, giving the 49ers first-and-goal at the 10. Smith scrambled and dived at the left pylon on third down and it was ruled a touchdown. The Chargers challenged and it was reversed, with Smith ruled down inches from the goal line. On fourth down at the 1, Siler threw Anthony Dixon for a 2-yard loss..."

good job!

again, there must've been reasons for that old adage? not to say follow it religiously, but in that particular circumstance, agreed with Harbaugh's decision.

if we had a little better offense, a little more capable offense, i may have thought different?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like Haralson is providing that? or Brooks is even being asked to try(i've seen attack more than covering)?

When they drafted Smith, did they honestly felt he could cover? If coverage is the only thing holding him back then we need to change some coaching personnel. It's bullsh*t IMO(at the logic of Smith not playing due to coverage).... If they wanted an OLB capable of covering, they would've/should've resigned Manny.

We need a fucking pass rusher from the OLB, we supposedly drafted one, but he can't do it because he can't cover? WTF is haralson covering???

Just when i thought i can calm down and relax from the terrible decision by our coach, i hear/read this....

BAHHHh

but you don't pass rush the OLB all three downs? if the opponents coordinator see's Aldon in there all game, don't you think he'd exploit that? cause right now, pretty sure Aldon doesn't have enough all around game. remember he's transitioning from DE and didn't have much off-season.

sooner rather than later, Aldon will get in on all downs, but why rush him if Haralson is playing well? yes, so far Haralson is playing well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Niners got the ball from the 22 to the goal line I take that FG and the multiple minutes it likely took off the clock and the Niners win the game. Easy as pie!

because you're not factoring in mistakes that might happen starting from the 22 yard line? you're concluding we would've simply kicked another field goal.

imagine we took points off the board, got the ball at the 22 yard line, and turned it over? how would this fan base be like then?

right now, this offensive unit isn't exactly top notch, starting with our QB. wouldn't even need to be a turnoever, just a holding penalty followed by a false start, puts us in long field goal range.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if we can conclude we get the field goal again, then of course we ALL choose to keep the ball.

can we make that conclusion? knowing this QB, this O-line, and this Unit, can we conclude that?

if not conclude, what percentage we make it again? this is Alex Smith at the helm and an O-line thats falling apart, not Brady and New England.