• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HAMHUIS TO THE FLYERS (his rights, anyway)

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well i do not just want frolov. any player with his skill or point production should be fine. i know nothing about his work ethic, leadership qualities or whatever.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need DvnLaguna in here to set things right about Frolov.

I'll pm him.

Sorry guys I was out having a life on Saturday

First, I tend to look for the best in the players we have and not bash them too much.

Most Kings fans call him Fro-loaf. I think it is more inconsistent play then lazy playing. They see him digging in the corners for pucks one game and the next forgetting to play defense. When a coach calls him out, instead of trying to prove the coach wrong he starts thinking too much. I would love it if the Kings kept him, but the price would have to stay around 4 mil. He needs to play on a line for a while to get into the groove of things. He can score a bunch but it is very streaky. I look at him like Cammaleri, give the right environment he could really shine.

Oh and if he goes to Philly expect him to go to NYC on days off to go clothes shopping. He is a bit of a dandy in that area.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like he is going to sign

"I think Philly has an unbelievable defensive core,” added Hamhuis. “To join a core like that makes the Flyers one of the tougher ones in the league. To play against the teams from the East, the conference has a lot of great forwards, and watching the playoffs, having a great defense will get you a long way.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Flyers_get_Hamhuis_from_Predators.html#axzz0rLQPpBA1

With this signing and the staff the Kings have I think that there may be a trade between the two teams before the season. I don't think the Kings will trade Bernier (sorry). Too much time and hype invested in him.

but with the Defense Philly is going to have Quick or Ersberg may fill their bill. Neither is great but Quick can handle a lot of games with limited shots per game but he is the only one with NHL experience. If he is the goalie traded Philly fans will think whatever is coming back will be too much.
Ersberg I think is a goner and could be gotten cheap. He is a little small and has let in a soft goal once in a while, but he has only played 53 games over 3 seasons so it is hard to judge.

All that being typed, I think if Philly gets a goalie it will be someone with playoff experience. None the Kings guys have proven the can take a team past the first round.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Philly fans your turn. John Stevens is about to be hired by the Kings as an assistant coach. I know he was fired by the Flyers, 26 games into the season and head coach and the Flyers took off. How do you think he will do as an assistant? What was he known for offense, defense, special teams? Will there be a power struggle? Will he ****** his daughter in a drunken state?

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he may just bore you to sleep in an interview. he is a defensive guy i suppose. when he was the coach i really did not see any system. nothing stood out to me. he basically had everyone collapse around the net in the defensive zone and it seemed tough to break out on a rush. he is a low key guy and i think he would make a good assistant coach. he works well with young players although i do not think you will see much change with your team. when he was our coach other coaches coached the powerplay and pk so i have no idea what he will do when he is a coach on the kings.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with Scott, he had no system. "Just go out there ans score a goal if you want to."

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus 2 here. Great guy. Not so good coach.

If you need a steady assistant who relates well with players...well, here's your man.

GagneFire12

Miley Cyrus, say what?
In a flat with tinted sunlight and creaky floorboa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus 2 here. Great guy. Not so good coach.

If you need a steady assistant who relates well with players...well, here's your man.

This John Stevens in a nutshell. I think he fits the mold of an assistant coach perfectly. As a head coach...not so much. But, like Tox was saying, he relates extremely well with his players - and he'll squeeze the best out of the young guys on the team.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stevens is a players coach. So if you have a player policed locker room he'll be ok, if you have a room full of guys that need direction I dont see him providing it. He basically reminds me of a substitute teacher. He's there with authority but he doesnt enforce it and it seems like he's just there to get through the game and hope things dont get too out of hand. I have nothing bad to say about the guy I dont think he's the worst coach ever or the best coach ever, but I do think he'll help get the job done as an assistant. He'll definitely be able to relate to the players.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Quick is an awesome goalie, I dont know why people think he's so average. I think he's the main reason the Kings even made the playoffs in the first place. Id rather have Quick over Bernier and Ersberg.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This John Stevens in a nutshell. I think he fits the mold of an assistant coach perfectly. As a head coach...not so much. But, like Tox was saying, he relates extremely well with his players - and he'll squeeze the best out of the young guys on the team.
I think that may be a good thing. Kings are actually pretty good in the rush. Doughty and even Johnson are pretty good at it. Johnson could use help on his defense however. Kings I think have been using that collapse around the goal thing for the last 2 years. the team is like a mix of the Hawks and the Flyers (just not as good yet :) )

They won't make an announcement until Terry Murry is signed because the team does not sign assistant coaches to deal longer than the head coach and he is in his last year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on stevens-
lacks energy and motivational skills big time, but i think he's fantastic with young players and is pretty solid tactically.. i think he'll be a great fit in LA.. lots of young guys for him to work with and he can help with the PP and PK, especially the later.. i think the flyers have him to thank for having so many quality PK'ers (Richards, Giroux, Gagne, Powe) plus betts and lappy but they were good previously

on hamhuis-
i was the one doing the numbers before, i thought he'd get 4 as a UFA, but i think he'll get less now that he'll be signed before he hits the open market, at least it seems that way and i'd hope so.. i'm thinkin around 3.5 now.. the cap is looking better this year than it ever has in philly i think.. i'm a little sorry to see parent go cause i think he has real potential to be a top shut-down guy, but he's got such a terrible back that i dont think his potential means squat anymore

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Quick is an awesome goalie, I dont know why people think he's so average. I think he's the main reason the Kings even made the playoffs in the first place. Id rather have Quick over Bernier and Ersberg.

i agree with this a lot.. taking everything into account (experience and what it'd take to get them) i think quick is the smarter move for the flyers.. he's shown he can play in the NHL, which is something bernier has not done quite yet (3 solid games isn't enough to base anything off of).. with the makeup of this team the flyers cant afford a year for the guy to get acclimated to the NHL.. plus you could get some much needed draft picks with him (quick) if they deal carter out there

davn: you think the kings are interested in getting a guy like carter? obviously kopitar is the #1 out there.. you think the kings need another center?.. i didnt think stoll, moller, and handzus were too shabby as far as center depth goes

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoll is a good 2/3 line guy, Zues is a good all around guy. I would love Carter as a scoring center (trade you straight up for Ersberg ;) ) but at what cost? I think the Kings would want to keep Quick because of experience (really only a year but the most of any King netminder) and Bernier because of promise for the future.
I would think that any trade for Carter, Quick + would be requested. I think Quick has shown he can hang in there and with the right team in front of him he can play well. I can't think of many games where I said "Quick stole that one" as far as prospect depth the Kings are strong on Defense and (surprising for me to say) goalies.

I see Tim Thomas as a Flyer next year. ( but big cap hit here) and I don't know what Boston would want.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoll is a good 2/3 line guy, Zues is a good all around guy. I would love Carter as a scoring center (trade you straight up for Ersberg ;) ) but at what cost? I think the Kings would want to keep Quick because of experience (really only a year but the most of any King netminder) and Bernier because of promise for the future.
I would think that any trade for Carter, Quick + would be requested. I think Quick has shown he can hang in there and with the right team in front of him he can play well. I can't think of many games where I said "Quick stole that one" as far as prospect depth the Kings are strong on Defense and (surprising for me to say) goalies.

I see Tim Thomas as a Flyer next year. ( but big cap hit here) and I don't know what Boston would want.

ya i loved Zues when he played here, still do really.. if half the flyers forwards weren't centers i'd love to have him come back

as far as tim thomas goes.. i cant imagine what the flyers plan on doing to fit him under.. moving carter or hartnell+ would be the only thing i can think of.. and i have no idea what the bruins are doing if they are seriously considering moving wheeler and savard for draft picks (mentioned in another thread)

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
on stevens-
lacks energy and motivational skills big time, but i think he's fantastic with young players and is pretty solid tactically.. i think he'll be a great fit in LA.. lots of young guys for him to work with and he can help with the PP and PK, especially the later.. i think the flyers have him to thank for having so many quality PK'ers (Richards, Giroux, Gagne, Powe) plus betts and lappy but they were good previously

on hamhuis-
i was the one doing the numbers before, i thought he'd get 4 as a UFA, but i think he'll get less now that he'll be signed before he hits the open market, at least it seems that way and i'd hope so.. i'm thinkin around 3.5 now.. the cap is looking better this year than it ever has in philly i think.. i'm a little sorry to see parent go cause i think he has real potential to be a top shut-down guy, but he's got such a terrible back that i dont think his potential means squat anymore

gagne was already a good pker before stevens and richards was as well. he did get carter to play defense though. and stevens did not run the powerplay or pk. the pk was berube and the powerplay was mullen.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

tim thomas makes no sense. no way he is even worth hartnell or carter and those are the only way it gets done with the cap.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gagne was already a good pker before stevens and richards was as well. he did get carter to play defense though. and stevens did not run the powerplay or pk. the pk was berube and the powerplay was mullen.

dont forget stevens had richards in the AHL too :)

but just cause an assistant coach is in charge of the PK doesn't mean the head coach isn't involved

EDIT:: alright actually he didnt really have richards in the AHL.. only for a playoff run.. i thought richards played in the AHL longer than he did

Last edited by a moderator: