• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guy comes out of the closet and now he is a National Hero

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a difference between people who support Sam because he's gay and people who oppose him because he's gay though?

I mean most of the recent negative coverage revolved around "homophobes" who wouldn't sign him because of his sexuality regardless of his talent but not we're finding out that he's making money off that sexuality instead of his talent. Is there a difference?

Explain how he is making money off of his sexuality.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's certainly not being signed to these contracts because of his on field play.

I suppose you can argue that they're signing him because of the support and attention coming out has given him but is that really different then benefitting because of coming out?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Endorsements have started rolling in for Michael Sam | FOX Sports on MSN

"We normally focus on defensive players that are most likely to get drafted in the first two rounds, so Michael was originally one of our alternates,"*said Nick Matijevich, vice president of operations for Press Pass. "But the news made his inclusion a no-brainer."

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen any talk of Sam being a Top 2 round picj.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God said, Jesus said....all incorrect. The Bible was written by man, and rewritten, translated, and changed over the years by man. Whether or not they wrote from "visions" of God speaking to them is immaterial. Books of the Bible have been removed over the years. The fact that people need a "perceived" deity lording over them to force them to be decent human beings is a little scary to me. In addition, using that t If having faith makes you a better person, all the better. Unfortunately, many use their faith and religious beliefs to discriminate against their fellow man and even go to war over differences in religious beliefs, which is a huge portion of the problems in the world today. Why do you think there is so much conflict in the Middle East? Differences in religion.

If you want silliness, how about Noah? The burning bush? Parting the red sea? All figurative stories, not to be interpreted as real events, much like the Canterbury Tales. Most stories have a moral, which can be valuable, but to interpret the story as absolute truth is misguided.

You choose to pick the portions of the Bible that reinforce your own beliefs. Do you also believe the portions of Leviticus that teach to kick a woman out of your home when she is menstruating? Or the part of Ephesians that tells servants to fear their masters as they would Christ? The Bible was written by a primitive culture that did not understand many things. To use it's teachings literally is not a good idea. Would you like to also use the medical procedures of that time?

I really don't mean to be insulting Shopson, but your ignorance is truly appalling. You continually take things out of context for your own purpose. Of course that's been a tactic used by politicians and the media since anybody can remember---it's called spin in today's vernacular. By your constantly incorrect statements I can see that you don't really view things objectively, you view them through a lens that colors them the way YOU want to see them.

The Bible has not lasted thousands of years, and guided billions of people because there is no validity to it. Can it be used inappropriately? Certainly, as can anything else. If I take a bottle of vitamins all at once, even though they are good for me, chances are they are going to have a profoundly detrimental effect in that context. I find your arguments flawed on so many levels it would take pages and pages to refute them all. But be assured every inaccurate thing you said can be refuted, and refuted thoroughly, not by conjecture as you specialize in, but by facts. You remind me of the old cliché, "Don't let facts get in the way of a good story"

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bible has not lasted thousands of years, and guided billions of people because there is no validity to it.
The world currently has billions of people not guided by it, too. There is validity in the Bible just like there is validity in other religions. A religion needs military prowess to stay around for thousands of years, though. Islam needed trench warfare. Christianity was on the right side of many military advances.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally admire Boss for the courage of his convictions. Its something we don't see much anymore. What people chose to believe in the way of personal faith is up to them. But when a person is as passionate about his beliefs as BOSS and has the intellect to back it up. I find that something to be admired. And while you can go back though out history and find fault with Christians and the Christian religion. These things were done by man at the very least a less than perfect creature. The Bible and the teachings of Jesus are a guide too life and too everlasting life. None of us can or will be perfect. As Jesus was, but though his teachings we can try to be better than we are. I am sure some see all this as nothing but hogwash or fairy stories. But if nothing else you can appreciate wisdom when you read it. Like this oldie but goodie. "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone."

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When religion is used to the betterment of society, it is a beautiful thing. However, when used to denigrate your fellow man, it is considerably more ugly.

The fact that Boss feels that 2 men loving each other is perversion and uses his religion as the reason is ugly. Gay people are born that way, created in that fashion by God, if you believe in a deity. Love is a beautiful thing. What 2 consenting adults do in their own bedroom should not impact the rest of their lives. They should have equal rights just like any heterosexual person should.

Nobody is forcing anything "down your throat" as you say, and nobody is condemning anyone for being Christian. That is a falsehood similar to the right's belief in "reverse discrimination" being the only discrimination in this day and age. Live and let live.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When religion is used to the betterment of society, it is a beautiful thing. However, when used to denigrate your fellow man, it is considerably more ugly.

The fact that Boss feels that 2 men loving each other is perversion and uses his religion as the reason is ugly. Gay people are born that way, created in that fashion by God, if you believe in a deity. Love is a beautiful thing. What 2 consenting adults do in their own bedroom should not impact the rest of their lives. They should have equal rights just like any heterosexual person should.

Nobody is forcing anything "down your throat" as you say, and nobody is condemning anyone for being Christian. That is a falsehood similar to the right's belief in "reverse discrimination" being the only discrimination in this day and age. Live and let live.

Disgusting.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the money and has nothing to do with being gay. Gay may be the reason he is getting a bunch of attention.....but no-where will his football card reference is pitching or catching statistics.:yahoo:

It's all about the money.

Jonvi u bastard go add up my college Bball picks! I'm takin over..

I got 20 that says M. Sam goes to San Fran :lol:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perversion like many things is in the eye of the beholder. And live and let live while quite an amazing concept many times leads to unintended consequences. Like when they say no one was really worried about Hitler until his troops came for them. Up till then it was live and let live. I am not trying to change your mind shopson. You have the right to believe as you like. But so does BOSS.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bible has not lasted thousands of years, and guided billions of people because there is no validity to it. Can it be used inappropriately? Certainly, as can anything else. If I take a bottle of vitamins all at once, even though they are good for me, chances are they are going to have a profoundly detrimental effect in that context. I find your arguments flawed on so many levels it would take pages and pages to refute them all. But be assured every inaccurate thing you said can be refuted, and refuted thoroughly, not by conjecture as you specialize in, but by facts. You remind me of the old cliché, "Don't let facts get in the way of a good story"

I love people that say the bible is full of stories not to be taken seriously... Lol

Keep telling yourself that so you feel better. The bible was taken pretty serious throughout our history until the 80s/90s. So since the last 25 or so years when technology has ruled, all of the sudden the bible isn't relevant..?

Try praying and giving God a shot. Am I perfect? No. But humbling yourself before the man upstairs and praying once in awhile isn't going to hurt anyone. And if you refuse, it's your own stubborn pride that is the reason, so don't hate on God.

I got more but people are gonna do what they want. My family is very Christian and I've seen some shit.. And yes, I'm the black sheep and like to have fun.. But that doesn't mean my foundation isn't solid.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No pun intended on black sheep. :)

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows if people are born gay or it's the decisions made around that person as a child or as an adult.

No human knows what happens to us when we die. I can tell you one thing though.. Your spirit will live on in heaven or burn in hell...

And Christians aren't perfect. I have bad mouth and I'm a silly bastard. I definitely have weaknesses and get tempted. The devil is punk.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perversion like many things is in the eye of the beholder. And live and let live while quite an amazing concept many times leads to unintended consequences. Like when they say no one was really worried about Hitler until his troops came for them. Up till then it was live and let live. I am not trying to change your mind shopson. You have the right to believe as you like. But so does BOSS.

"Live and let live" as long as you're in agreement with homosexuality, right? Typical liberal "tolerance."

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christianity was on the right side of many military advances.

And why is that? Makes you wonder... Currently, the war is against Christianity mainly by people that have never even given God a shot.

It's hate. Just pure evil and hate, but the time will come when God says game over.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is a perversion. It is not natural and doesn't produce anything other than disease. I'm not judging them, I leave that to God.

I don't care whether you believe in Him or not, I do and He is real.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without getting into a whole diatribe about the history of religion, which from reading your posts you obviously know little about Shopson, I will remind you that this country was founded on the basis of religion, and our founding fathers were God-fearing religious men. The centuries old book that you're referring to I assume is the Bible. It seems to me that the morals of the Bible were good enough for this nation to prosper under until just recently when the liberals and "new age thinkers" such as yourself started lowering the standards of our society. Tell me Shopson, if you don't get your morals and ethics form a "centuries old book" where exactly do you get them? From watching "Desperate Housewives"? From the ****ography you watch? From the smut on TV and in the movies and media that we call entertainment today? That seems to be a major problem today IMHO. The media dictates the morals of our society, and decides what is right and what is wrong. If Hollyweird embraces it, well it must be good, right? ---like for example the homosexual movement/agenda. Heaven help anyone today that criticizes homosexuality. You're then labeled a racist, bigot, prejudice, etc.

I think you need to put down the TV guide and read the book your criticizing and get to know it a little more before making any more silly comments that obviously show your ignorance.

Dude doesn't know history...

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Christian and a non-gay superb former athlete, sure it's not my belief that being gay is right..mainly because we were created to reproduce and you can't when 2 males sword fight. But I'm not going to hate on gay people. It's a sin and no sin is bigger than the other. But I am a sinner. So therefore it's not for me to judge. God surely doesn't hate anyone.

What you have to keep in perspective is that you can't listen to extremists. Muslim extremists? Or any other over the top peoples. Is Rush an extremist? Yeah pretty close. Is Obama an extreme lefty? Yes he is. Am I a republican? No I'm a moderate. I believe in moderation and my generation (X) has seen nothing but greed and puppet politicians on both sides. More moderates in Washington = more getting done for our country.

The truth us the truth.

That is all :gaah: