• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guy comes out of the closet and now he is a National Hero

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind you, I'm not denigrating faith, but just for shits and giggles, let's look at it in terms of football, to give you more of an idea where I'm coming from here. I know I'm gonna break my self-imposed moratorium on discussing Sam Bradford before the season starts (technically I'm not debating it, though. ;) ), but just bear with me on this one...

**Disclaimer**: I DO NOT believe that Jeff Fisher is God, nor Bradford the second coming of Jesus Christ. These are ONLY "ANALOGIES"... NOT "COMPARISONS".

Jeff Fisher (God) tells me that I should believe in Sam Bradford (Jesus), due to what he's seen and his progress and stats over his first four years (The Bible). They say that he will have a great year (he will return.) and all our suffering (Earthly tribulations) as Rams fans will be over soon (Can't put a date here, but the Bible says "as a thief in the night", so we'll go with that).

So... that being said... I "have faith" that this will be the Rams' year. There's no quantifiable facts to support, or oppose this claim. There's no "proof" that will guarantee anyone that Bradford will flourish this season. I can cite his stats 'til I'm blue in the face, to a non-believer. But, as we all know... stats, like the Bible, can be subjective. They both can be interpreted in many different ways. Therefore, by following his stats and Jeff Fisher's words, I'm choosing to have faith that Sam Bradford is indeed the Rams' "savior", if you will.

Of course, if you don't believe in him too, then all I can really tell you is... you should "take my word on it" (you should have faith, too).

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: Spiritual apprehension is an actual complexity of faith.

Solid proof or fact is merely a verifiable 'knowledge' however the theory of knowledge questions what knowledge really is and just how it can be obtained or verified. It's complexities cover belief, trust and truisms; justification or given truths; truth itself or the given known.

Faith is not a flowery way of saying 'take my word on it'

It's much more complex because faith is believing the truth where we have a reason to believe not simply because someone told us it was so. We must understand it and we must embrace it.

For me and countless others, we seek the Holly Spirit as our guide to first understand so we may then embrace.

I get where you're comin' from, Vita. I really do. But, respectfully, I think you're making it a lot more complex than it actually is. Granted... I could just as easily be completely over-simplifying the whole thing. I think it just all depends on what side of the issue you land on.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get where you're comin' from, Vita. I really do. But, respectfully, I think you're making it a lot more complex than it actually is. Granted... I could just as easily be completely over-simplifying the whole thing. I think it just all depends on what side of the issue you land on.
Fair enough.

However beyond the complexity, simply stated we humans are beings of mind, body and spirit and some of us fail to nurture all aspects of our souls ...

Most will feed their minds and a lot will fuel there bodies, however our spirits are left unattended to and this makes true stumbling blocks in a debate over faith.

One's soul must be properly fed in mind, body and spirit to fully comprehend the knowledge of faith.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind you, I'm not denigrating faith, but just for shits and giggles, let's look at it in terms of football, to give you more of an idea where I'm coming from here. I know I'm gonna break my self-imposed moratorium on discussing Sam Bradford before the season starts (technically I'm not debating it, though. ;) ), but just bear with me on this one...

**Disclaimer**: I DO NOT believe that Jeff Fisher is God, nor Bradford the second coming of Jesus Christ. These are ONLY "ANALOGIES"... NOT "COMPARISONS".

Jeff Fisher (God) tells me that I should believe in Sam Bradford (Jesus), due to what he's seen and his progress and stats over his first four years (The Bible). They say that he will have a great year (he will return.) and all our suffering (Earthly tribulations) as Rams fans will be over soon (Can't put a date here, but the Bible says "as a thief in the night", so we'll go with that).

So... that being said... I "have faith" that this will be the Rams' year. There's no quantifiable facts to support, or oppose this claim. There's no "proof" that will guarantee anyone that Bradford will flourish this season. I can cite his stats 'til I'm blue in the face, to a non-believer. But, as we all know... stats, like the Bible, can be subjective. They both can be interpreted in many different ways. Therefore, by following his stats and Jeff Fisher's words, I'm choosing to have faith that Sam Bradford is indeed the Rams' "savior", if you will.

Of course, if you don't believe in him too, then all I can really tell you is... you should "take my word on it" (you should have faith, too).
You're a clever man! :lol:

Disclaimer aside, I'm not sure if this is blasphemous or cute! :noidea:

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"At least liberals try to be tolerant. Cons are just dicks all the time..."

Liberals are only tolerant of those who are in lock step with them and their ideology, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly my only thought when Sam made his announcement was.....Oh, OK.

Maybe I'm naive but does it really mater anymore whether or not someone is gay?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An insult is an insult whether in your face or coming through the back door. What a shame.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How on Earth is that an insult?
Caynine what you think or your opinions are yours. And I have defended your and others right to them. The shame is there is always one who has to cross the line. One that has so little respect for the other peoples point of view they turn it into a joke. I find that sad,a shame and insulting. You may think I have no sense of humor but in this thread well it just isnt all that funny.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caynine what you think or your opinions are yours. And I have defended your and others right to them. The shame is there is always one who has to cross the line. One that has so little respect for the other peoples point of view they turn it into a joke. I find that sad,a shame and insulting. You may think I have no sense of humor but in this thread well it just isnt all that funny.

It wasn't a joke.... it was an analogy. Nothing I said was blasphemous, or insulting.

If you were offended at all by what I posted, then I apologize. But, I truly and honestly don't see where I "crossed a line" here, at all.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a joke.... it was an analogy. Nothing I said was blasphemous, or insulting.

If you were offended at all by what I posted, then I apologize. But, I truly and honestly don't see where I "crossed a line" here, at all.
I will concede the field too you and let others make up there own minds on it. This is not worth me getting kicked off this site for.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caynine, first of all you're a smart guy, so you must know you are walking a thin line here with some using this analogy take.

Not to speak for ozarkram however if I ventured a guess, the most offensive part I've found I put in bold.

Faith is the foundation of Christianity and to once again simplify this in these terms, whether you 'get it' or not, reeks of disrespect for some.

I just told you of the complexities and they are all from philosophical doctrine whether you say it was too complex or not.

I'm guessing the rub, outside walking a thin line in your analogy, is when you said you 'get it' yet continued oversimplifying the very foundation.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caynine, first of all you're a smart guy, so you must know you are walking a thin line here with some using this analogy take.

Not to speak for ozarkram however if I ventured a guess, the most offensive part I've found I put in bold.

Faith is the foundation of Christianity and to once again simplify this in these terms, whether you 'get it' or not, reeks of disrespect for some.

I just told you of the complexities and they are all from philosophical doctrine whether you say it was too complex or not.

I'm guessing the rub, outside walking a thin line in your analogy, is when you said you 'get it' yet continued to oversimplifying the very foundation of Christianity!

The last line of my post wasn't an insult... it was the summary of the post. The conclusion of my statement. Nothing more. The whole idea of the post was to explain my (and many others') take on faith in terms related to football. If anything... it was a backhanded attempt at knocking anyone who doesn't believe in Sam Bradford, not God.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last line of my post wasn't an insult... it was the summary of the post. The conclusion of my statement. *Nothing more. The whole idea of the post was to explain my (and many others') take on faith in terms related to football. If anything... it was a backhanded attempt at knocking anyone who doesn't believe in Sam Bradford, not God.
Wait, I thought, after your disclaimer, you said Jeff was god and Sam was jesus? :rollseyes:

*Yea, you really don't get it so it's okay.

You'll always be one of my fav Rams' posters!

:suds:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, I thought, after your disclaimer, you said Jeff was god and Sam was jesus? :rollseyes:

*Yea, you really don't get it so it's okay.

You'll always be one of my fav Rams' posters!

:suds:

I meant nothing more blasphemous.... You know what i meant! Lol.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Caynine on the use of fairy tales. That might have been a carry-over from others. I can't accept your assertion that the Bible is a collection of fables unless you are using in the context of stories and even so that is a reach. The definition of fables is: a fictitious story meant to teach a moral lesson. There is nothing fictitional about Scripture because it was G_D-breathed into the 30-some writers.

Vita mentioned and explained the Holy Spirit. It is that very Holy Spirit who breathed into the writers for them to write G_D's love dialogue to his creation and us.

Boss, you are welcome. Excellent points on your post as well along with many others such Vita and SJ76.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Caynine on the use of fairy tales. That might have been a carry-over from others. I can't accept your assertion that the Bible is a collection of fables unless you are using in the context of stories and even so that is a reach. The definition of fables is: a fictitious story meant to teach a moral lesson. There is nothing fictitional about Scripture because it was G_D-breathed into the 30-some writers.

That's cool, Retro. I always try to choose my words very carefully, because, again, I don't want to insult anyone, or their beliefs. Personally, I don't necessarily accept the Bible as fact, but if you do... and it causes you to lead an enriched life, in which you treat people with the kindness and respect with which you'd treat your own mother (yes... two more Bible lessons... and a good ones, at that.), then who the hell am I to tread on your beliefs??

And as much as some of y'all may not buy it... regardless of whether I agree with them, or not... I have much respect for ALL of you for standing by your convictions, just as I stand by mine.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your intentions may not have been to offend Caynine, but I suspect that Ozark was raised in a very reverent (at least as far as God is concerned) environment like myself, and even joking about this topic is akin to taking the Lord's name in vain. As a matter of fact the Bible expressly warns about using the Lord's name, and of course in turn Christ's name casually. The Israelites wouldn't even audibly mention God's name out of extreme reverence. I'm not condemning you because you did apologize and I don't believe your intentions were to be disrespectful to begin with. Just thought I'd shed a little light on where the problem is. To my way of thinking, the last person in the universe you want to offend is God, if you know what I mean.