• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guy comes out of the closet and now he is a National Hero

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I hate bigots and won't tolerate intolerance."

So much for the logic of the socially and sexually "progressive" people. :rolleyes:

"Michael Sam's courage is so inspirational."

Puhlease.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions are like assholes.........you know the rest.

While I'm a Christian I'm not going to argue whether or not all of the stories in the bible are true or false. I too believe a lot of these stories are to teach people about moral values. I do agree agree people pick and choose what they want to believe in or what they want to hear. But people are imperfect and often are led astray by others whom have hidden agendas. (on both sides of the fence) However, it is within our rights to agree or disagree with homosexuality. And the sooner people/media/our government understands that the better off we'll be as a society.

I couldn't agree more.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, I personally, am not a religious man. A bit too much hypocrisy and way too many unanswered questions for me to fully buy in (I guess I could be best described as "agnostic"). I mean, take the Ray Rice incident I mentioned before. Go to any thread on this (or any other NFL) board about Rice and guarantee you won't find anyone quoting scripture or even mentioning the Bible. Why is that?

That being said, I'll never knock anyone's lifestyle. Christian... homosexual... whatever. As long as it's not hurting anyone. My mother is a devout Christian and her beliefs have gotten her through some pretty damn tough times. I'd never admonish her for that. I just think we need a lot more of the "live and let live" mentality in this country. The sooner everyone gets out of everyone else's business, the better off we'll all be! :)

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, I personally, am not a religious man. A bit too much hypocrisy and way too many unanswered questions for me to fully buy in (I guess I could be best described as "agnostic"). I mean, take the Ray Rice incident I mentioned before. Go to any thread on this (or any other NFL) board about Rice and guarantee you won't find anyone quoting scripture or even mentioning the Bible. Why is that?

That being said, I'll never knock anyone's lifestyle. Christian... homosexual... whatever. As long as it's not hurting anyone. My mother is a devout Christian and her beliefs have gotten her through some pretty damn tough times. I'd never admonish her for that. I just think we need a lot more of the "live and let live" mentality in this country. The sooner everyone gets out of everyone else's business, the better off we'll all be! :)

:laugh3: never gonna happen :laugh3:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I fully agree that what adults choose to do in private is not anyone's business if it's not hurting anyone.

My whole problem is the liberal "tolerance" bullshit which is the textbook definition of intolerance!

And I resent Hollywood and the Liberal media foisting homosexuals and their "courage" on me.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully agree that what adults choose to do in private is not anyone's business if it's not hurting anyone.

My whole problem is the liberal "tolerance" bullshit which is the textbook definition of intolerance!

And I resent Hollywood and the Liberal media foisting homosexuals and their "courage" on me.

The beauty part about Hollywood, television and the media is, you can always turn them all off. ;)

To be honest, the whole "courage" angle is borderline annoying to me, as well. Probably for different reasons than you, though, I'm sure. I don't think coming out of the closet should be touted as "heroic", because there really shouldn't need to be any courage involved. I mean, really... why should you have to be courageous to tell someone how you live your life, if you're not hurting anyone, or negatively impacting society in any way? The irony is, often those who are against labeling them as heroes are the very ones making it a "courageous" thing to do (not speaking of you specifically, Hammer. I don't know you personally to speak on you).

If there wasn't such derision and vitriol levied upon gays, their story would be... well... a complete non-story. And the media won't chase a non-story, nor put it in front of you for your perusal and POOF... just like that, it's out of your face. Think about it... If Michael Sam was openly gay in a world where we truly minded our own business, you'd never hear about him, OR his sexual preference. You wouldn't have to hear about his "courage". You notice there's no mention of him being courageous for being a "black athlete", right? That's because, as a civilized society we've moved past that (well... to a degree, at least).

My suggestion? ...Ignore it. Basically, those who so avidly dislike homosexuals (which, as jacobarch noted earlier, are well within their rights to do so) have a lot more power than they think when it comes to squashing the in-your-face nature of the "gay agenda". Obviously you don't have to "like" them. Just ignore them. Hell... I don't "like" Seahawks fans. So, I just tune them out. Lol. Constantly railing against something (especially, when it doesn't even affect you) is having the complete opposite effect you're looking for and only serves to keep it in the forefront. Ignoring the issue won't hurt anything or anybody. But, most importantly... ignoring it is the surest way to get it out of your face in no time. ;)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you get your common sense from Shopson? Was that something your mind manufactured before it was mature enough to develop a memory through verbal development?

I think you have a few questions to answer from Boss, jeffro, and Robbase that are not adequately answered by the notion of generalizations and accusations of intolerance you levied at Boss. Otherwise I think you are whistling dixie here.

It's pretty simple to treat others as you wish to be treated. In fact, that goes AGAINST some of the religious beliefs being spouted here. Why some are so afraid or hateful towards homosexuals I just don't understand. Who someone else loves shouldn't impact your daily life one iota. Live and let live.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you or are you not against those that do not support equal rights for gays?

Our country's constitution claims all men are created equal; are you against the law of the land? I guess you're a criminal then. See how you can spin words to suit your own purpose?

I disagree with anyone who doesn't support equal rights for ANYONE, gays included.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liberal speak for "difficult to conform".

So, you don't think all men are created equal? That the law should apply to all people equally? Not sure why conservatives always seem to end up on the side of the argument that hurts people; why is that?

It takes two to make a thing go right.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Sam was well aware that he was a fringe NFL prospect and he probably got great advice considering that MU is known for its J school. This isnt the media using him. Its an intelligent, confident person taking advantage of his opportunity.

Does it hurt to be so cynical? Why can't a gay man simply be himself freely? Tell me, how much has it helped Jason Collins' career to come out? He was on a roster before the announcement, but did not get signed this year. Great career move, right? If you honestly think coming out will IMPROVE Sam's chances at a long career in the NFL, I think you're kidding yourself.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beauty part about Hollywood, television and the media is, you can always turn them all off. ;)

To be honest, the whole "courage" angle is borderline annoying to me, as well. Probably for different reasons than you, though, I'm sure. I don't think coming out of the closet should be touted as "heroic", because there really shouldn't need to be any courage involved. I mean, really... why should you have to be courageous to tell someone how you live your life, if you're not hurting anyone, or negatively impacting society in any way? The irony is, often those who are against labeling them as heroes are the very ones making it a "courageous" thing to do (not speaking of you specifically, Hammer. I don't know you personally to speak on you).

If there wasn't such derision and vitriol levied upon gays, their story would be... well... a complete non-story. And the media won't chase a non-story, nor put it in front of you for your perusal and POOF... just like that, it's out of your face. Think about it... If Michael Sam was openly gay in a world where we truly minded our own business, you'd never hear about him, OR his sexual preference. You wouldn't have to hear about his "courage". You notice there's no mention of him being courageous for being a "black athlete", right? That's because, as a civilized society we've moved past that (well... to a degree, at least).

My suggestion? ...Ignore it. Basically, those who so avidly dislike homosexuals (which, as jacobarch noted earlier, are well within their rights to do so) have a lot more power than they think when it comes to squashing the in-your-face nature of the "gay agenda". Obviously you don't have to "like" them. Just ignore them. Hell... I don't "like" Seahawks fans. So, I just tune them out. Lol. Constantly railing against something (especially, when it doesn't even affect you) is having the complete opposite effect you're looking for and only serves to keep it in the forefront. Ignoring the issue won't hurt anything or anybody. But, most importantly... ignoring it is the surest way to get it out of your face in no time. ;)

It's hard to ignore when they never shut up and it's now so hip to say you support homosexuals. But in the end (haha) what else can you do? Shake your head in disgust and look the other way. It's just not that important to me. On a personal level, I have no ill will for these people, I just want them to shut up and get out of my face.

As for Hollywood, you're correct! I can count on one hand the movies I've gone to see at the theater in the last 10 yrs for that very reason.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it hurt to be so cynical? Why can't a gay man simply be himself freely? Tell me, how much has it helped Jason Collins' career to come out? He was on a roster before the announcement, but did not get signed this year. Great career move, right? If you honestly think coming out will IMPROVE Sam's chances at a long career in the NFL, I think you're kidding yourself.

Jason Collins just couldn't earn a roster spot. If there was even a hint of collusion, all hell would have broken loose by now. If anything, I'm shocked someone didn't let him ride the pine just to avoid any legal issues.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the money and has nothing to do with being gay. Gay may be the reason he is getting a bunch of attention.....but no-where will his football card reference is pitching or catching statistics.

It's all about the money.

Is there a difference between people who support Sam because he's gay and people who oppose him because he's gay though?

I mean most of the recent negative coverage revolved around "homophobes" who wouldn't sign him because of his sexuality regardless of his talent but not we're finding out that he's making money off that sexuality instead of his talent. Is there a difference?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't find much silliness in the Bible Shopson. On the contrary, if you want silliness, go to the avenues I mentioned earlier. People take things out of context and try to put their own spin on everything to suit their cause. Keep it in context and you'll get an accurate picture. I once saw a priest on a news show saying "This is what Jesus said about homosexuality in the Bible" He then opened a book to reveal blank pages. Of course he had his own agenda. He was attempting to divert the truth. What he didn't reveal is that the Bible calls homosexuality an abomination and participants worthy of death. Jesus didn't have to say it because God already addressed it a long time ago. A perfect example of using something out of context.

As far as generalities, you're right they are generalities. But look at society---the generalities I listed are based on what our society has become.

And you're also right, this is a sports forum. But the topic came up because of being related to sports, and it was commented on by multiple people. If you were so concerned with upsetting people as you claim, why did you involve yourself then in the first place? The thread was doing perfectly fine without you, you could have stayed uninvolved. What I really think happened is that you got into something a little bit over your head and are now looking for a graceful way out.

God said, Jesus said....all incorrect. The Bible was written by man, and rewritten, translated, and changed over the years by man. Whether or not they wrote from "visions" of God speaking to them is immaterial. Books of the Bible have been removed over the years. The fact that people need a "perceived" deity lording over them to force them to be decent human beings is a little scary to me. In addition, using that t If having faith makes you a better person, all the better. Unfortunately, many use their faith and religious beliefs to discriminate against their fellow man and even go to war over differences in religious beliefs, which is a huge portion of the problems in the world today. Why do you think there is so much conflict in the Middle East? Differences in religion.

If you want silliness, how about Noah? The burning bush? Parting the red sea? All figurative stories, not to be interpreted as real events, much like the Canterbury Tales. Most stories have a moral, which can be valuable, but to interpret the story as absolute truth is misguided.

You choose to pick the portions of the Bible that reinforce your own beliefs. Do you also believe the portions of Leviticus that teach to kick a woman out of your home when she is menstruating? Or the part of Ephesians that tells servants to fear their masters as they would Christ? The Bible was written by a primitive culture that did not understand many things. To use it's teachings literally is not a good idea. Would you like to also use the medical procedures of that time?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Collins just couldn't earn a roster spot. If there was even a hint of collusion, all hell would have broken loose by now. If anything, I'm shocked someone didn't let him ride the pine just to avoid any legal issues.

Exactly my point. His coming out did not benefit his career at all. It won't benefit Sam's either.